Thread: How to delete a thread?

Very Active Member philoswimmer's Avatar

How to delete a thread?

I tried to make a poll, but accidentally made it public when I wanted to make it private. Then, I tried to delete the thread, but only succeeded in closing the thread, and then duplicating it. What a mess. How do I delete the threads??

Re: How to delete a thread?

Entire threads can not be deleted by regular users. You can delete individual posts of yours from any thread as long as it isn't the opening post of a thread. The reason for this policy is that we had an incident or two a while back where someone wanted to delete their post from a popular thread. They did so, but unfortunately their post was the opening post and the forum software treats deleting the opening post as deleting an entire thread. We also do not believe it is proper for any regular user to have the ability to delete other member's posts, which is what happens if you have the ability to delete an entire thread just because you started the thread.

Some have found a workaround for this when they want to remove their opening post from a thread. Simply edit your post and replace the text with the word "deleted".
    I can't remember a life before Google.
    Fortunately, I can Google it.

If I had been trying to delete other users' posts, I could understand your reply. If I had witnessed more wisdom in moderators' decisions, I could understand your reply.

Yes, I am fairly well ticked off at this point, and I am not easily ticked off.

But please, feel free to send me another canned response. I am sure it will help me cool off.

wow, I thought the answer was the right one.

You can't delete. end of story.

but moderaters can, so send a message to one of them and ask them to remove your threads. It won't get any easier than that.

There is more to this exchange than appears here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rykno View Post
    so send a message to one of them and ask them to remove your threads. It won't get any easier than that.
    And it doesn’t hurt to ask nicely, with a few smilies

Blog Entries

I really don't want to beat up on you "Philoswimmer," but I hope you're "hearing" the other respondents' messages re: politeness when dealing with someone who is trying to help you. What "other thing" could be "going on [here]"? You goofed. We all do it. Ask an administrator to delete the thread, if possible. Consider too that while you might not like the thread, others might be interested in it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by philoswimmer View Post
    If I had been trying to delete other users' posts, I could understand your reply. If I had witnessed more wisdom in moderators' decisions, I could understand your reply.

Yes, I am fairly well ticked off at this point, and I am not easily ticked off.

But please, feel free to send me another canned response. I am sure it will help me cool off.
    I thought Geek was the top of the cranky pants mountain. After reading the above post, we have a new king. Congratulations philo for a job well done.

Quote Originally Posted by swimgal51 View Post
    I really don't want to beat up on you "Philoswimmer," but I hope you're "hearing" the other respondents' messages re: politeness when dealing with someone who is trying to help you. What "other thing" could be "going on [here]"? You goofed. We all do it. Ask an administrator to delete the thread, if possible. Consider too that while you might not like the thread, others might be interested in it.
    The "other" things took place in private messages before the message written above. Surely, no one would be helped by my dragging it out into the open, and it would hardly be polite. You're just trying to prolong controversy, and there is no need for that. But I will say that it was my own thread that I was trying to delete, and it was only because I had messed up the poll that I had created and wanted to re-do it.