Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: La Jolla Rough Water - 9/11

  1. #1
    Very Active Member pwb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Barrie, Ontario
    Posts
    2,836
    Blog Entries
    2019

    La Jolla Rough Water - 9/11

    Start tracking the water temperatures here -- http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/...a-Cove/seatemp -- and get excited for America's premier rough water swim, http://www.ljrws.com/. This is an all ages blast of an event.

    Who's going?

    Who's doing the Gatorman?

    Who's doing the Daily Double?

    I'll be there and wimping out with the mile only; this will be my 6th year doing the mile. I attempted the daily double in both 2008 and 2010 and will try that again in 2012.

    Tips for maximum enjoyment:

    • Spend $100 to become a century sponsor for the event (supports the kids event) and get front row seats and a super-sweet parking pass.
    • Arrive on Saturday so you can check in and get a practice swim in.

    Hoping for warmer conditions this year than last.

  2. #2
    Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    56

    Re: La Jolla Rough Water - 9/11

    I'm registered for the Daily Double. I haven't yet made my travel arrangements, however. The budget is looking TIGHT, but I hope to be there!

  3. #3
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    33

    Re: La Jolla Rough Water - 9/11

    I'm signed up for the mile. It'll be my 3rd year and very, very excited that it's poised to be much warmer than last year (brrrr....). I actually dreamt about it last night! The week before La Jolla, I'll be doing the Maui 'Aumakua swim. Very excited about both.

    Gatorman is a lifetime goal for me - I think I can do the distance but not sure I can withstand the cold... Even at low 70's (2 yrs ago), I was shivering at the end. I have very little insulation. Last year was hellacious for me.

  4. #4
    Very Active Member RobbieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Arroyo Grande
    Posts
    143

    Re: La Jolla Rough Water - 9/11

    I'm signed up for the Gatorman since I can't make it to Big Shoulders this year... pretty stoked to give this swim a go!

  5. #5
    Very Active Member pwb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Barrie, Ontario
    Posts
    2,836
    Blog Entries
    2019

    Re: La Jolla Rough Water - 9/11

    Quote Originally Posted by sbegonia View Post
    I'm signed up for the mile. It'll be my 3rd year and very, very excited that it's poised to be much warmer than last year (brrrr....). I actually dreamt about it last night! The week before La Jolla, I'll be doing the Maui 'Aumakua swim. Very excited about both.
    Very cool. The Maui swim is on my bucket list.

    Quote Originally Posted by sbegonia View Post
    Gatorman is a lifetime goal for me - I think I can do the distance but not sure I can withstand the cold... Even at low 70's (2 yrs ago), I was shivering at the end. I have very little insulation. Last year was hellacious for me.
    Last year was horrible. It took me well over an hour after the Gatorman sitting in the sunshine with three top layers (t-shirt, long-sleeve shirt, hoodie) to warm up again. If it does end up being cold again this year for some reason, I highly recommend wearing a neoprene cap with ear plugs. That made it somewhat more bearable (at least for the mile) last year.

  6. #6
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    13

    Re: La Jolla Rough Water - 9/11

    I am very green in OWS, I plan on swimming the Gatorman this year. I did the Newport Beach Pier to Pier early this summer (my first race) and I felt like I had "gas in the tank" left for a longer race.

    I am also monitoring the see temperatures...but I am afraid that the temperature in surf websites is not very accurate, sea temperatures can vary a lot during the day. La Jolla had a range between 62-69 during the past few days:

    http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/show_plot.p...time_label=PDT

    Luckily the Gatorman is at 1:30 when the water could be the highest of the day.

  7. #7
    Very Active Member orca1946's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    schaumburg, il - U S A
    Posts
    7,712

    Re: La Jolla Rough Water - 9/11

    After reading this - I need to get a better nick name !

  8. #8
    Very Active Member pwb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Barrie, Ontario
    Posts
    2,836
    Blog Entries
    2019

    Re: La Jolla Rough Water - 9/11

    The temperature peaked around 72 degrees today in the cove -- http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/show_plot.p...time_label=PDT -- so we'll hopefully have ideal water conditions.

    All you east-coasters sick of the mean Atlantic, get you a ticket for an aeroplane (you might still have time for a fast train) and come swim in the wondrous Pacific. As an added incentive to fly, we even have power coming out of our wall sockets in the wild west.

    Day of registration is available -- www.ljrws.com

  9. #9
    Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    577

    Re: La Jolla Rough Water - 9/11

    Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    Last year was horrible. It took me well over an hour after the Gatorman sitting in the sunshine with three top layers (t-shirt, long-sleeve shirt, hoodie) to warm up again. If it does end up being cold again this year for some reason, I highly recommend wearing a neoprene cap with ear plugs.
    I clearly need to bulk you up...maybe take you to smashburger or something. If you are a fatarse like myself, the cold has never been noticeble.

    I'm doing daily double and likely getting thrashed by people with magical open water skills..definitely consistently my crappiest open water swim...cannot beat the Ghiradelli hot fudge sundaes (downtown San Diego) of which I had five in one weekend last year.

    Maui is nice...not a big fan of the swim unless you like to go for a 12 foot dive after swimming 2 miles all out (you get a minute off your time if you go through the arch which I did not even see until I was well past and probably could not have done anyway)

  10. #10
    Very Active Member knelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,146
    Blog Entries
    567

    Re: La Jolla Rough Water - 9/11

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson View Post
    Maui is nice...not a big fan of the swim unless you like to go for a 12 foot dive after swimming 2 miles all out (you get a minute off your time if you go through the arch which I did not even see until I was well past and probably could not have done anyway)
    Cool, it sort of like swimming's equivalent of the steeplechase!

  11. #11
    Very Active Member Thrashing Slug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    393
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: La Jolla Rough Water - 9/11

    Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    The temperature peaked around 72 degrees today in the cove --
    Where is the temperature buoy? There's no way it could be 72 degrees out over the canyon.

    I really wish they would schedule this swim a week earlier. If it were the last weekend of summer vacation instead of the first weekend after the kids go back to school, then I could do it.
    -
    "The consciousness of self is the greatest hindrance to the proper execution of all physical action." -- Bruce Lee

  12. #12
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    33

    Re: La Jolla Rough Water - 9/11

    Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    The temperature peaked around 72 degrees today in the cove -- http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/show_plot.p...time_label=PDT -- so we'll hopefully have ideal water conditions.
    I'm always amazed at the daily temperature range - I guess it has to do with the tides... but 12 degrees within a 24-hr period?! I hope the temperature during the swim is closer to the high end of the range.

  13. #13
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    13

    Re: La Jolla Rough Water - 9/11

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrashing Slug View Post
    Where is the temperature buoy? There's no way it could be 72 degrees out over the canyon.

    I really wish they would schedule this swim a week earlier. If it were the last weekend of summer vacation instead of the first weekend after the kids go back to school, then I could do it.
    I tried to figure that out a few weeks ago and I concluded that this station is not on a buoy but on the Scripps pier. That station does not list the water depth and the coordinates point to the Scripps Institute.

  14. #14
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    13

    Re: La Jolla Rough Water - 9/11

    Quote Originally Posted by sbegonia View Post
    I'm always amazed at the daily temperature range - I guess it has to do with the tides... but 12 degrees within a 24-hr period?! I hope the temperature during the swim is closer to the high end of the range.
    For some reason that station has a huge temperature range, much higher than others in the area. My best guess is that is due to the underwater canyon present there.

    If you look at the bathymetric map (attached here) you can see that there are 2 arms in the canyon (the upper being closer to the pier and the lower roughly in the middle) also you can see that there is a huge "underwater funnel" as you go into deeper ocean.

    My theory is that with the rising tide the cold water (at the bottom) is pushed through the funnel into the arms and eventually closer to the surface lowering the temperature.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bathymetry.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	2971  

  15. #15
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Bonsall, ca
    Posts
    18

    Re: La Jolla Rough Water - 9/11

    Try the Oceanside Pier Swim which happens every Labor Day. It is a true rough water. No kelp to swim through only large waves.

  16. #16
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2

    Talking Re: La Jolla Rough Water - 9/11

    I am doing the Gatorman this weekend. Does anybody know whats the best grease to use?
    Thanks.

  17. #17
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    33

    Re: La Jolla Rough Water - 9/11

    uh oh...

    http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...129528448.html

    Only a couple of miles north of the cove. I hope the current moves the crap north.

  18. #18
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    33

    Re: La Jolla Rough Water - 9/11

    Ok, according to swellwatch, looking promising that it will flow up in this case before dispersing.

    And looks like we'll have calm conditions for Sunday

  19. #19
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    13

    Re: La Jolla Rough Water - 9/11

    Quote Originally Posted by sbegonia View Post
    uh oh...

    http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...129528448.html

    Only a couple of miles north of the cove. I hope the current moves the crap north.
    not good....the main current is southbound. I hope see life and currents are able to dissolve 3.2 million gallons in 2 days.

  20. #20
    Very Active Member E=H2O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Posts
    496

    Re: La Jolla Rough Water - 9/11

    Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    I am doing the Gatorman this weekend. Does anybody know whats the best grease to use?
    Thanks.
    For something of that distance I would use simple vaseline on the places where skin rubs together: under the arms, around the neck & between the thighs. However, no mater what you use, this is definitely what you should use to get it off:

    Gator Grease
    "If you didn't swallow water in your last open water race, you weren't racing."

    www.bobswims.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How often do they change pool water completely?
    By ddl in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: November 27th, 2017, 01:42 PM
  2. 2009 La Jolla Rough Water Swim
    By ande in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: September 17th, 2009, 01:23 PM
  3. Experiences in Cold Water - Ireland (LOOOONG)
    By Donalb in forum Open Water Swimming
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: February 20th, 2009, 06:10 PM
  4. To wetsuit or not?
    By pwb in forum Open Water Swimming
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: November 3rd, 2008, 10:47 AM
  5. La Jolla Rough Water Swim
    By Sam Perry in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 14th, 2006, 01:15 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •