Thread: So where's the heat?

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So where's the heat?

This being a legislation year, maybe it tends to the more mundane and doesn't elicit too much passion. Still, I wrote up a piece (reviewed by Betsy Durrant and Patty Miller) about what I saw as some of the more significant items up for discussion at convention this year:

http://www.vaswim.org/2011/08/usms-annual-convention/

Opinions/feedback? Other important items I missed?

Very Active Member Redbird Alum's Avatar

Re: So where's the heat?

Chris -

Nice summary.

It would be helpful if, once they decide how to deal with "workout groups", USMS would create a page that describes all the organization levels and benefits of the various levels. I'm from Illinois, and it's always a 10 minute discussion anytime someone asks how the teams, clubs and groups work here, both within and outside the State borders.

Not sure we want to limit one-event registrations from being used at indoor events, but perhaps they should be priced a bit higher with some of the money coming back to the local event that had to deal with them. I would hate to see separate rules for the different venues.

Oh, and selfishly speaking... Nadine would be a great President. She did a great job here in Illinois when she ran the LMSC!

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: So where's the heat?

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird Alum View Post
    Not sure we want to limit one-event registrations from being used at indoor events, but perhaps they should be priced a bit higher with some of the money coming back to the local event that had to deal with them. I would hate to see separate rules for the different venues.
    I'm not sure, either. In 2010 we ran a clinic that was geared especially to triathletes, but for insurance purposes they had to be USMS members. Requiring them to purchase an annual membership bumped the price higher than we wanted, and didn't seem to be a good solution anyway. We offered one-events and most of the clinic participants used that. We did not track how many of them later became members, but I still think it was a good recruiting tool for USMS.

As far as one-events in OW, here was the response of the race director of an annual sanctioned OW event here in Virginia:

I guess my question as a race director is: "If USMS is going to offer OEV for open water, who is doing the work? Will it make my job harder or easier? What about the Lisa's job?" [Note: Lisa is the VA Registrar]

One event created confusion for us this year b/c of the funds... $12 had to go to USMS, $12 had to go to LMSC, etc. I think Betsy (VMST Treasurer) took the CA disbursement and wrote a check for $24 for each OEV to our LMSC, and then the LMSC treasurer (Charlie) had to turn around and write a $12 check to USMS (involving another Treasurer!). Lisa and I had to track all of that.

It was a headache for CA to set it up initially (making it $25.40 so they could keep a portion), but once their part was done, they were done... the biggest headache was for the financial follow up after the race-- involving 3 Treasurers, the Registrar, and the Race Director. That's a lot of cooks in the kitchen!

So yeah, I guess I'm concerned about implementation of this rule.
    So while I think OEVTs are a good recruiting tool, I would like to allow the "locals" (LMSC, host club, race director) make the decision about whether it is worth it or not. They are the ones who will have to live with the consequences of the decision.

Unless USMS can make OEVTs much simpler to process on the volunteer end, perhaps taking over ALL the paperwork headache...