Thread: Western Regional Meets?

Participating Member

Western Regional Meets?

Michael Moore from Oceana Zone has suggested the possibility of a Western Region Masters Swim Meet Series involving all three pool meet formats (SCY, SCM, LCM), possibly rotated among the three western zones - Northwest, Oceana and Southwest. What do you think of the concept? Would you be interested in attending? Do you have any suggestions for ensuring its success? What are the potential problems?

Participating Member

Re: Western Regional Meets?

I like the idea, especially Long Course Meters.

Blog Entries

This sounds like a cool idea. Interested to hear more about how it would involve all three formats.

As one who regularly travels 'south' for meets, I heartily endorse the idea. My perception that LCM and SCM meets are much harder to come by and starting with one or both of these seems to be a way to get going. I also encourage us to do more than simply 'dub' one of our regularly scheduled meets a regional meet. Pacific and Southern Pacific both have well attended regional meets. We could all travel there for those meets today. So, what's special? What do we do to encourage travel? Timing will also be a challenge with SCY and SCM because we're sandwiched by 'champs' meets and nationals in many cases. Let's talk it through!

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd be up for the meets. I always like to try to "get away" occasionally for meets outside the NW. Different competitors is always fun (not the the normal ones are boring by any means). As long as the $$$$ is available, and the wife says OK, I'm there!!
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

Inland NW Top Ten & Records Chair, and Web-Dude
    www.inlandnwmasters.org

Participating Member

Like Sarah, I like the idea of flying or travelling south for some warmer weather. I also think it would be a nice intermediate step for a swimmer who is slightly intimidated by Nationals.

In terms of strategies, I notice that when some of our outgoing and charasmatic swimmers get a small group, and they plunk the money down, it encourages others to want to join in the fun. Or reversely, I wouldn't want to be the only one travelling to a meet.

Very Active Member Sandi Rousseau's Avatar

I guess I have mixed feelings about this. I am definitey not against the concept but it will take a group to commit to overseeing this, organizing the rotation, taking bids, selecting the site, thinking about awards, putting an entry form together, etc. If there is a sub group willing to get it all together and propose it to the western region, I'd say go for it.

One thing we see here in the Northwest, however, is that even with a zone meet, the participants are mostly from the organizing LMSC. I am not sure if that is true in Pacific and Southwest or not.

Blog Entries

Great Idea!