Thread: Oregon Masters Meet Scheduling

Participating Member

Oregon Masters Meet Scheduling

Ive been working with Dennis to schedule an additional SCY meet the weekend of March 24th, two weeks after the T-Hills Pentathlon and three weeks prior to the Association Meet in Hood River. After taking a close look at the meet calendar, and taking into account the entries at our Masters meets, Dennis is concerned that two meets in one month will serve to dilute the entries of those meets already scheduled and reduce the potential earnings for each meet.

Im of the opinion that we should be able to support two Masters meets each month, spaced at least two weeks apart. But maybe Im being overly optimistic. I would like some feedback, especially from the Board, about meet scheduling.

The only meet to which we seem capable of attracting 200+ entries is the Association Meet. The Zone LCM Meet last summer at Mt Hood had 112 entries. The Corvallis LCM Pentathlon was poorly attended with only 40+. However, our metro area fall meets (MAC/T-Hills) both had 80+ entries. The COMA Meet had 50+.

Our current 2012 pool meet schedule looks like this:
    Jan 28 Chehalem SCY (Newberg)
    Feb 12 Canby SCY Animal Meet
    March 10 T-Hills SCY Pentathlon
    April 13-15 Assn SCY Championship Meet
    May 12 COMA LCM Meet

My proposal is for a one-day Masters meet at Reynolds Community Pool two weeks after the T-Hills Pentathlon. Will that hurt attendance at T-Hills? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
    Wes

Very Active Member Sandi Rousseau's Avatar

Re: Oregon Masters Meet Scheduling

I think that it is not a good idea to schedule meets too close together due to possible compromised attendance. While one would think that our organization size should be able to accommodate two meets in some moonths, we have not been doing too well for attendance these past two years.

With T-Hills being March 10th, I would suspect that both it and a March 24th meet attendance might be compromised. Association champs in mid April would likely be fine due to the team competition.

I have been thinking about asking the Board about switching Association champs to SCM as I have had several questions from OMS swimmers about doing that. That might help attendance at both T-Hills and Reynolds (this is not Mt Hood?) but there would be no guarantees. I'd want to be sure the T-Hills people were OK with this idea.

I would love to see a LCM meet in June, so if that could be a possibility at Mt Hood, that would be great for those going to Omaha.

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sandi Rousseau View Post
    I think that it is not a good idea to schedule meets too close together due to possible compromised attendance. While one would think that our organization size should be able to accommodate two meets in some moonths, we have not been doing too well for attendance these past two years.

With T-Hills being March 10th, I would suspect that both it and a March 24th meet attendance might be compromised. Association champs in mid April would likely be fine due to the team competition.

I have been thinking about asking the Board about switching Association champs to SCM as I have had several questions from OMS swimmers about doing that. That might help attendance at both T-Hills and Reynolds (this is not Mt Hood?) but there would be no guarantees. I'd want to be sure the T-Hills people were OK with this idea.

I would love to see a LCM meet in June, so if that could be a possibility at Mt Hood, that would be great for those going to Omaha.

If the Hood River Assoc. meet were to be SCM that would be awesome. I would definitely come down from Wenatchee to do SCM there rather than going to Federal Way for SCY at the PNA Champs.
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

Inland NW Top Ten & Records Chair, and Web-Dude
    www.inlandnwmasters.org

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1 View Post
    If the Hood River Assoc. meet were to be SCM that would be awesome. I would definitely come down from Wenatchee to do SCM there rather than going to Federal Way for SCY at the PNA Champs.
    SCM is way preferable to SCY, though in this particular case I'd probably opt for Federal Way. It's hard to imagine driving down I-5 right past the exit for King County Aquatic Center knowing that there's an excellent Masters meet happening right there, and then continuing on for 3 more hours to Hood River.

for a June LCM meet prior to Omaha. There is one planned in Spokane for June 9 so please consider a different weekend

Participating Member

Talking Re: Oregon Masters Meet Scheduling

I remember back when I first started swimming during the 1997-2001 period there were some months that had two meets in them and both were well attended-but that was 10+ years ago. I personally would enjoy and attend two meets in one month, so I like Wes idea. If both meets that month are in the metro area, I think they can be well attended. I do think we should poll the OMS membership as I can relate to budgets being tight the last few years in our region. I was always in favor of the Hood River Association meet being SCM. I also like Sandi's idea of a LCM meet in June before Nationals, even though I can't go to Omaha myself. Happy Holidays all!
    Charlie Helm

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1 View Post
    I just had an afterthought:

I HAVE TO GO (well, don't "have to go") to the PNA Champs because that is the day my mother in law is flying back from El Salvador to SeaTac airport. Hitting a 2 for 1 deal on the trip over to Seattle, so I guess I have to say no to Oregon this time...sorry.
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

Inland NW Top Ten & Records Chair, and Web-Dude
    www.inlandnwmasters.org

I would prefer the Association meet be SCM. in Hood River. I also remeber
    doing 2 meets in 1 month and it was well attended. Hopefully they will also
    be well attended this next yr. compared to this yr. A LCM meet in June would
    be great as another tune up for Omaha.