Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012 Events in Allegheny Mountain LMSC

Blog Entries

Re: 2012 Events in Allegheny Mountain LMSC

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    Leslie & Jim - Regarding the AMYMSA 2011 meet @ Clarion, the simple answer, which has been given to Jim in private, is that no one requested that the meet be recognized. Further, I never announced that it would be recognized, although there were other meets in that series that were recognized.

2011 AMYMSA meet @ Clarion was not a meet I was planning to attend and I did check with a few swimmers (obviously I didn't consult Jim) and they were ambivalent with respect to the meet recognition.

I think it's highly disingenuous of Jim to continue to whine and complain that countless opportunities for fame and national rankings have fallen by the wayside due to my "ineptness". In fact, to my knowledge, the only two events that Jim feels he has been slighted on are the 1000 and 500 from 2011.
    I thought the meet was then recognized and then unrecognized? Whatever, it's not unusual for a swimmer to assume a championship meet that has been recognized in the past by you in an attempt to get Allegheny out of "podunk" status, would be again. It seems that there are just some "growing pains," perhaps, in attempting to transition from a small LMSC dominated by unrecognized and unsanctioned Y meets to one that with a real USMS presence. I don't envy you the task, and have no doubt that it has caused you many hours of hard work, mostly thankless.

And although Jim is undoubtedly a whiney attention and fame seeker, , it's kinda unfair to give him grief for being bothered that his times didn't count. I don't know any competitive swimmer who wouldn't be ticked. And I think he's had other times go missing, most recently being misled by a referee who did not know the rules. But, yes, he should have learned his lesson about being extra careful about which meet he competes in!

I find this all highly interesting since I may one day be living in this LMSC. I forsee having to travel to all my meets, as I won't compete in unsanctioned meets. I likewise know I am very spoiled by the very high quality of meet directors and volunteers here in PV.

Blog Entries

All sanctioned AM-LMSC MEETS will appear on the USMS calendar of events.
    Recognized meets like 1650 also appeared on the calendar of events.
    Y meets have not.
    Questions about recognized meets or questions regarding the recognizing or sanctioning of events in AM can be directed to me.
    Tara D'Agaro. taradagaro@yahoo.com

I have no background in YMCA swimming. Actually I volunteered to be sanctions chair just this summer. I have been an HOD member of our lsc/uss for the past 5 years and thats is where my experience lies.

Allegheny MTN is developing a larger usms community who does not compete in YMCA masters. All organizations equally must request their recognition or sanction. I reached out to y members after speaking with Jim at the 1650's.
    I continue to wait for the request from the meet director.
    Please feel free to email me for updates on the status.

I have an interim position. Voting for new chairs I believe will be taking place this summer for our LSMC. All positions are open or interim.
    Like Ghandi said "be the change you want to see"

Very Active Member jim thornton's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can you vote for and/or run for office in one lmsc if you swim for a team in a different zone? I don't want to lose my 1776 team affiliation because of the wonderful relay teammates, but I'd definitely like to have some way to help our area, too.

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton View Post
    Can you vote for and/or run for office in one lmsc if you swim for a team in a different zone? I don't want to lose my 1776 team affiliation because of the wonderful relay teammates, but I'd definitely like to have some way to help our area, too.
    Jim, I think you have to be registered in the LMSC that you're holding office in, but I'm not 100% sure on that either.

Last year at Nationals I had to keep telling the PNA folks that I wasn't a PNA member. They wanted me on their relays! I guess since I show up to almost all the annual PNA meets, they've kinda taken me under their wing in a way. And most of the PNA meets are a closer drive for me than my own LMSC meets in the Inland NW! But one plus side of being in the Inland NW...the records are easier!
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

Inland NW Top Ten & Records Chair, and Web-Dude
    www.inlandnwmasters.org

Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton View Post
    Can you vote for and/or run for office in one lmsc if you swim for a team in a different zone?
    What do your LMSC bylaws say about this?

Very Active Member jim thornton's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1 View Post
    Jim, I think you have to be registered in the LMSC that you're holding office in, but I'm not 100% sure on that either.
    Thanks, James. What about voting?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Copeland View Post
    What do your LMSC bylaws say about this?
    I didn't know we had any. I'll ask Jack Martin if he knows.

Links to the bylaws for all LMSCs are posted on the USMS web site. To find an LMSC's bylaws:

1) Go to www.usms.org
    2) Click the blue "Local Programs" tab across the top of the page
    3) From the map, select an LMSC
    4) On the resulting page, scroll down toward the bottom and in the bulleted list you will see a link titled "Bylaws"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12