Thread: New Online Sanctions Process

New Online Sanctions Process

USMS has introduced a new online sanctions request process. This thread was created to answer questions about the new system.

The general concept of the new process is as follows.

1. The event director goes to www.usms.org and under the “Competition” tab, selects “Sanction an Event” to begin the process.

2. The event director enters the event information. He indicates whether he wishes to apply for a sanction or recognition, or whether he just wants the event to be listed on the calendar.

3. When the event is submitted, an email is sent to the LMSC Sanctions chair.

4. The Sanctions chair logs into the system and reviews the information.

• If the event director requested a sanction or recognition, the sanctions chair contacts the event director and sends him a list of any additional requirements he needs to meet before a sanction or recognition will be granted (such as payment of a sanction fee, submission of a Coast Guard approval, etc.) if the LMSC has any such requirements.
      • If this was a Calendar-only request, the Sanctions chair reviews it to ensure that it is not spam and then approves it. The event goes into the USMS Calendar of Events.

5. The event director submits all requested items to the Sanctions chair.

6. The Sanctions chair logs into the system and grants the sanction. A sanction number is assigned to the event and the event goes into the USMS Calendar of Events.

Re: New Online Sanctions Process

Where to get help:

Send questions to: Calendars@usms.org

FAQ #1: What is a “Calendar-Only” request?

FAQ #2: Does the new system automatically generate a sanction number?

Yes. The format for the sanction number is as follows:
    XXY-Z000
    where XX is the LMSC numerical code, Y is the last digit of the current year, Z is the event type designator (see below) and 000 the consecutive numbering of events sanctioned in a given calendar year.

The event type designators are:

• Sanctioned events are indicated by “S” in the number
    • Recognized events are indicated by “R” in the number
    • Open water events are indicated by “W” in the number

Examples:
    • 562-W001 would be assigned to the first open water event sanctioned in the Alaska LMSC during 2012
    • 052-S005 would be assigned to the fifth sanctioned pool meet in the Connecticut LMSC during 2012
    • 392-R003 would be assigned to the third recognized pool meet in the Hawaii LMSC during 2012

FAQ #3: What do I do if I have already assigned a sanction number to an event?

If you have already sanctioned an event for 2012, you still need to submit it to get it into the database. You (the Sanctions chair) can submit it by pretending to be the meet director. Go through the process as though you are requesting a sanction. After you submit the event, you can then log in to the USMS admin side of the database to approve the request. When you approve the request, a sanction number will automatically be generated. To keep your original (“legacy”) sanction number, send an email to our Web Developer and provide him with the name of the meet and the original sanction number. He will manually enter the legacy number into the database.

NOTE that this procedure may only be used for any meets that have already been sanctioned (as of February, 2012). Going forward, the sanction request must be submitted through the online process.

FAQ #4: I create the meet entry forms for my meet directors. They just approve the form and send me a check. I don’t want the meet director to create and upload his own form. What should I do?

FAQ #5: What is the Event Venue database?

FAQ #6: I am the Sanctions chair for my LMSC, but I only grant sanctions to pool meets. Our Open Water chair grants the sanctions for open water events. How can our Open Water chair use this system?