Thread: VCD

VCD

At my last post I had not overcome my vocal cord disorder which kept me from swimming more than 100 yards before gasping for air. I found, quite by chance, that acid reflex was the major cause of this condition. Once properly medicated with anti reflex medication I can now swim without problem. One and a half years and many doc's who had no answer to overcome this problem. Anyone out there with a similar problem?

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Re: VCD

That's great Ed. I am glad you found someone with the answer.

Very Active Member TRYM_Swimmer's Avatar

Great news! Glad you got it cleared up.

Blog Entries

congrats on finding a solution, that must have been a very frustrating year and a half!
    The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move
    - Aleksandr Popov [RUS]

Very Active Member philoswimmer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    At my last post I had not overcome my vocal cord disorder which kept me from swimming more than 100 yards before gasping for air. I found, quite by chance, that acid reflex was the major cause of this condition. Once properly medicated with anti reflex medication I can now swim without problem. One and a half years and many doc's who had no answer to overcome this problem. Anyone out there with a similar problem?
    I think I may have a similar problem, but I'm at the beginning of this journey. I think I was given a misdiagnosis of exercise-induced asthma -- I think it's a misdiagnosis because the albuterol inhalers do not help me and my symptoms seem to fit VCD better than EIA. For example, this article says:
    However, an athlete with PVCD typically identifies the neck or throat as the source of airway restriction, while the EIA sufferer usually indicates the chest as the source of tightness. In addition, wheezing, which is more closely associated with EIA, is characterized by whistling sounds resulting from the narrowing of the respiratory tract; stridor, produced at the level of the larynx, is characterized by a harsher noise, like that of sawing.
    which fits me to a T. It's a good article overall, although it may be old hat to you by now.

I am interested in trying to learn how to incorporate the exercises into swimming, looking at this article.

Thoughts on any of the above are welcome.
    Last edited by philoswimmer; April 16th, 2012 at 12:10 AM.