Thread: UV protection

Participating Member

UV protection

Aloha. Just had a quick question and this seemed like a good place to maybe get some info.
    Swam competitively growing up and through college...then got away from it for a while. Been back into lap swimming for a while now and been doing some open water as well. Growing up on the east coast the open water stuff i did was limited to a handful of 1 or 2 mile events in the summer. Since i wasn't in the water that long (and I was young and carefree) UV protection wasn't much of an issue.
    Now I live in Hawaii and some of the open water swimming I've been doing has me in the water for hours not minutes. Most of the people I swim with aren't as concerned with the sun as I am so they just opt for good sunscreen. I use Watermans sunscreen which is great for surfing and has done a good job for the longer swims as well. However I've been looking for a suit w/ more coverage then a speedo/jammer b/c I would just feel more comfortable w/ the physical protection.
    I recently tried doing a 6 mile swim w/ a rashguard that i usually surf in. Felt fine for a while but eventually ended up giving me some pretty bad rash around the neck.
    Anyways any suggestions on a comfortable suit that would provide decent coverage/uv protection? I have been looking at some tri-suits. Is that a good place to start?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Very Active Member swimthegoodfight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: UV protection

Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?...

sorry mokihana - sometimes the board can be a little slow.

Very Active Member swimthegoodfight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: UV protection

my thought is the majority of swimmers at this board do not use skinsuits.

many open water swimmers manage their uv exposure by swimming in the early morning or late afternoon.

on long swims extending to mid-day, i use desitin diaper cream - it is zinc oxide. if used every day, you'll likely never have the white cream off you.

good swimmin'