Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indoor Pool SAD

Indoor Pool SAD

I've trained and competed mostly outside since I've been doing Masters and have noticed that I lose some of my excitement when I compete indoors. I can see better and feel more "happy endorphins" when I'm racing outdoors. If you can relate or have found a way to overcome this, please let me know.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Re: Indoor Pool SAD

Move to Seattle until your conditioned response to going indoors is happiness to be out of the rain.

Blog Entries

Hey Fresnoid there's an outdoor meet scheduled in Seattle on December 1st! Maybe aquajock should swim that one and it will cure her of her outdoor meet addiction.

Very Active Member TRYM_Swimmer's Avatar

Normally my New Year's Day is the day our Y pool opens with the bubble off (this week, yea!), so not much help here. However, swimming in a pool like GAC for nationals (very high ceiling, very deep pool, lots of light) was as close to swimming outdoors for me as any indoor facility has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Fresnoid View Post
    Move to Seattle until your conditioned response to going indoors is happiness to be out of the rain.
    We had rain and wind a couple of meets here where I wasn't too happy. But I fear the only cure for my sun addiction may be not tapering or drugs...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    Hey Fresnoid there's an outdoor meet scheduled in Seattle on December 1st! Maybe aquajock should swim that one and it will cure her of her outdoor meet addiction.
    I am looking forward to that meet!

But I will be bringing a full rain suit. And an umbrella... and a winter hat... and wool socks... and hot coffee...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aquajock View Post
    I've trained and competed mostly outside since I've been doing Masters and have noticed that I lose some of my excitement when I compete indoors. I can see better and feel more "happy endorphins" when I'm racing outdoors. If you can relate or have found a way to overcome this, please let me know.

I definitely perform better in outdoor meets. I have trouble staying loose indoors and don't get as fired up when behind the blocks. IDK if there's a solution -- I'm just too acclimated to sunshine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbosback View Post
    I definitely perform better in outdoor meets. I have trouble staying loose indoors and don't get as fired up when behind the blocks. IDK if there's a solution -- I'm just too acclimated to sunshine.
    Yes, exactly. I was shivering behind the blocks in Greensboro and felt like I was swimming at night.

Blog Entries

How bout some yellow tinted goggles? They're like SADD lights for swimmers

Quote Originally Posted by swimslick View Post
    That sounds like a good plan. And would be a lot safer than setting a sun lamp next to the blocks...

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    But I will be bringing a full rain suit. And an umbrella... and a winter hat... and wool socks... and hot coffee...

Wimp! I'm hoping it snows! I don't think I'll be driving over for this one anyway, but for you guys, I hope it's a blizzard out there!!
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

Inland NW Top Ten & Records Chair, and Web-Dude
    www.inlandnwmasters.org

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1 View Post
    Wimp! I'm hoping it snows! I don't think I'll be driving over for this one anyway, but for you guys, I hope it's a blizzard out there!!
    Yeah! I will make sure to enter some tough events so I can say I raced the ______ in the snow! (the order of events is not announced yet, so just imagine that that blank is the Brute Squad or the long distance pentathlon or something)

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Yeah! I will make sure to enter some tough events so I can say I raced the ______ in the snow! (the order of events is not announced yet, so just imagine that that blank is the Brute Squad or the long distance pentathlon or something)
    Well...in that case...

...I'm still probably not coming over.
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

Inland NW Top Ten & Records Chair, and Web-Dude
    www.inlandnwmasters.org

There is no doubt that racing outdoors (in the sun) is much nicer than racing indoors. Over the years I have mainly raced indoors and some centers are much nicer than others.

I always tell myself that I can swim faster indoors because there is no wind resistance. It is almost like tricking the mind (mine is pretty easy to fool!). This gets me a little more excited and I actually look forward to racing indoors for this reason.

Not sure if this helps but good luck with it
    For information on swimming breaststroke: http://breaststrokezone.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1 View Post
    I know. The worse the weather, the better that meet will be! I've probably mentioned this story before, but in college one year we did a double-distance meet against Michigan. It was outdoors, long course in November. If it was above freezing out it wasn't by much. I remember not being able to see the races very well because of the steam coming off the pool and I remember it was really cold even with warmups, a parka, hat and gloves on! The big story of the meet was that Mike Barrowman set a new world record in the 440 yard breast (the pool was 55 yards). The old record was from the '60s or something.

Blog Entries

Cool Re: Indoor Pool SAD

Quote Originally Posted by swimslick View Post
    I like that. How about some shades for when you're not in the water?

Quote Originally Posted by Fins25 View Post
    There is no doubt that racing outdoors (in the sun) is much nicer than racing indoors. Over the years I have mainly raced indoors and some centers are much nicer than others.

I always tell myself that I can swim faster indoors because there is no wind resistance. It is almost like tricking the mind (mine is pretty easy to fool!). This gets me a little more excited and I actually look forward to racing indoors for this reason.

Not sure if this helps but good luck with it
    I ordered some Kayenne goggles with no tint at all that I'm going to try out when I go to Colorado in a couple of weeks and will be swimming indoors. I guess swimming in the dark reminds me too much of the nightmares I have where I forgot to wear goggles or got in the wrong lane and I feel more scared than excited...A nightmare almost came true when my suit started to disintegrate last week...

Blog Entries

Take the frown and turn it upside down, and make some lemonade while your at it.

If you are swimming in an indoor pool that is East to West, then find an indoor pool that is North to South. Mix it up. Embrace it. Do the same thing when you are presented with the opportunity to swim in outdoor pools.

I swim in a half dozen pools, meters and yards. I swim indoors, outdoors, North to South, South to North, East to West, and West to East. I even swim in a pool that has a retractable roof.

My point is do not become an expert at swimming in one pool. Mix it up. Its to your advantage when you participate in swim competitions.

If you are truly stuck in one indoor pool. Then have some fun with it, wear a pink, or crazy colored, swim brief.

I do prefer outdoor pools over indoor pools, but I'll take what I can get, as long as I can get my swim workout in for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sive View Post
    Take the frown and turn it upside down, and make some lemonade while your at it.

If you are swimming in an indoor pool that is East to West, then find an indoor pool that is North to South. Mix it up. Embrace it. Do the same thing when you are presented with the opportunity to swim in outdoor pools.

I swim in a half dozen pools, meters and yards. I swim indoors, outdoors, North to South, South to North, East to West, and West to East. I even swim in a pool that has a retractable roof.

My point is do not become an expert at swimming in one pool. Mix it up. Its to your advantage when you participate in swim competitions.

If you are truly stuck in one indoor pool. Then have some fun with it, wear a pink, or crazy colored, swim brief.

I do prefer outdoor pools over indoor pools, but I'll take what I can get, as long as I can get my swim workout in for the day.
    Yes!

Being in the midwest, most of our pools are indoors. The high schools all have indoor pools and that is where we practice 9mo out of the year. I'm looking forward to the new experience (for me, being my first year of Masters and first outdoor opportunity) of having outdoor practices! On Monday, we start swimming outdoors in a LCM pool - both new for me. Normally, I alternate between a nice temperature, indoor, SCY pool and a too warm, indoor, SCM pool. So the outdoor, LCM pool will be a nice change.

Also different for me? The SCY pool has lane ropes and the SCM pool does not - it's also a 30m pool rather than 25m. How's that for mixing it up?
    ~Megan

Here in Chicagoland - outside swimming is from June 4th till all the H S life guards go back to school, then they shut down all the outdoor pools.
    Lake swimming is for those brave souls & wetsuit junkies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast