Thread: Swimming gear

Very Active Member

Swimming gear

I occasionally use paddles, fins, pull buoy, kick board(a lot) and other stuff depending on my work out plan(which I usually get from this site).
    I often read that some swimmers say NOT to use gear.

What's your take?

Blog Entries

Re: Swimming gear

I used to use paddles. Then I lost them and never replaced them. A couple years ago I began to have shoulder issues. I see no reason in my current state to use paddles again. I have zoomers but don't use them all that much (more if my shoulders are sore). Board on occasion. Pull buoy, yes, but still less than I used to before shoulder issues. (I used to love my pull buoy.)

I have all the toys too. I use them quite a bit - I use the kick board in every work out, the pull buoy in probably 90% of them, paddles or gloves in most work outs, and fins in maybe half of them.

I only use my fins if I have a really long kick set or if the workout issued call for them (our coach provides work outs at practice). I use the kick board and pull buoy/paddles in warm ups but only in main sets if listed.

I don't use paddles or a kickboard because of "twitchy"shoulders.I use fins a lot to work my legs harder,take the strain off my shoulders and for BR pull dolphin kick drills.I use a Finis snorkel a lot to work on body position,for kicking and for when my neck hurts.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    I use fins a lot to work my legs harder,
    What fins do you use? I have these short Zoomer type fins from Speedo which I rarely use. I used to swim at a pool where National swimmers trained and they had these larger type fins http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/...tm?color=12816.
    I hardly use paddles, occasionally a pull buoy or just hold my feet still but I more or less use my kick board each time.
    Last edited by Lui; May 22nd, 2012 at 05:50 PM.

I switch from med. to small paddles depending how my shoulders feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lui View Post
    What fins do you use? I have these short Zoomer type fins from Speedo which I rarely use. I used to swim at a pool where National swimmers trained and they had these larger type fins http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/...tm?color=12816.
    I hardly use paddles, occasionally a pull buoy or just hold my feet still but I more or less use my kick board each time.
    I found the Sporti fins to be too soft.I use http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/3825.htm?color=210 .I like longer fins because they help me keep better timing for BR pull/dolphin kick.
    Last edited by Allen Stark; May 22nd, 2012 at 10:56 PM.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Blog Entries

The basic problem with toys is that they aren't used correctly. Too often people slap on the buoy/paddles/fins when they get tired.

Participating Member

HI
    I recently moved to Brazil and I am training exclusively in an outdoor non heated swimming pool. Summers are great but fall and winter get rather cold. I am rather skinny and intolerant of cold water. It makes the training miserable (everyday at 6 AM) and I can't wait to get out of the pool after 45 minutes swim. I also do open ocean swim but do not go out often and only do so when the water is warmer. I finally decided to buy a wetsuit for training in the swim pool but feel unsure of what to buy. I own a wetsuit for surfing and it is great for warmth but unpracticle for swimming (too stiff and too warm for training) . I would like to spend max 200 US$ for the wetsuit or swim skin. Water temperature must be around 18-20 Celsius (which is daily temperature at this time of year) but haven't measured specifically. Help anyone ? Would a vest do the job, should I buy a fulllenght wetsuit? will it last in the swim pool ?
    Thanks
    Isabelle

Participating Member

Hey Iroger. I'm not training for anything besides just getting exercise and having fun. I constantly use flippers, gloves, etc. in the pool but I do focus on making sure I keep proper form too.

I've been to lap pools I swear are quite colder than they should be so I just use a shorty (short arms/legs) wetsuit. Your water sounds colder or at the limit of what a short wetsuit (they're usually about 2-2.5mm thick) can work well in. My best guess is you either will want a shorty (if you are typically hotter and don't want to feel restricted a bit) or you will want a full suit that's 3mm/2mm (3mm in the body and 2mm at the arms / legs).

Just make sure you rinse your suit out in fresh water afterward and lay it flat to dry and it should last. A shorty you can get for about US$60-80 and a full suit is about $100-120. I would not bother with really expensive suits, you just want something made right + fits you. If you have a local dive shop it might help to ask them, but a little shopping and reading some reviews should help. My own personal opinion, I would get something that seems durable/stitched well and isn't expensive so when it breaks in a few years you can just get a new one or repair it with wetsuit glue. I know Cressi has some good suits that people use in the pool constantly for dive classes so those will hold up--they really all should. The only problem the chlorine should cause in addition to the kind of use you'd see in scuba diving is fading of the lycra. I think you'll at least get your money's worth out of it.