Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Qualifying Times

2013 Qualifying Times

Where do we find the times needed to qualify for 2013 short course and long course Nationals?

Swimming gives me a buzz! Bobinator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: 2013 Qualifying Times

I don't think they're out yet. To find them click on the "Competition" selection on the front page of the USMS site. You will find the "Nationals" selection on the pull down bar and you'll find them there when they are posted.
    HTFU!

Blog Entries

Yes, the qualifying times are dependent on the top ten times from the 3 years prior to the meet. Since the 2012 SCY top ten list is currently only a preliminary listing and LCM won't be posted for several months, the qualifying times for 2013 nationals can not be calculated yet.
    I can't remember a life before Google.
    Fortunately, I can Google it.

If it goes like last year. they will be a bit FASTER than this year . OH OOOH
    I had better stop eating popeye's chicken & start training now !!!

Qualifying times for Indy are now posted on the Meet Information page:
    http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats13/

Here is a direct link to the Indy NQTs:
    http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats13/nqt.pdf

And here is a direct link to the NQT FAQs:
    http://www.usms.org/comp/NQT-FAQ.pdf

Jeff Roddin
    USMS Championship Committee

PS. Mission Viejo NQTs should be available in late December or early January.

Swimming gives me a buzz! Bobinator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can a swimmer do the 1,000 and the 1,650?
    HTFU!

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator View Post
    Sounds fun to me! (sarcasm)
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

Inland NW Top Ten & Records Chair, and Web-Dude
    www.inlandnwmasters.org

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator View Post
    Not at this particular Nationals. There are two 8 lane courses vs Greensboro having the ability to offer two 11 lane courses.

Stay tuned for Mission Viejo, however. There are decent odds of being able to swim both the 800 and the 1500 (on separate days, too).

Jeff

2 distance races on the same day ??? OH MY!!!

It looks as if I qual for 4 events on this years time

Qualifying times for Mission Viejo are attached to this post. They will be available on the meet website once it is established.

Here is a direct link to the NQT FAQs:

Jeff Roddin
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jroddin; December 17th, 2012 at 01:01 PM.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jroddin View Post
    Qualifying times for Mission Viejo are attached to this post. They will be available on the meet website once it is established.

Here is a direct link to the NQT FAQs:

Jeff Roddin

Thanks, Jeff! These NQT's now give me direction for my 2013 goal-setting. I am very much looking forward to Mission Viejo and going back "home" to So. Cal!

Question: I read over the FAQ sheet, however, I do not see anything about time limits for making NQT's. If I remember right, Anna Lea said the window is two years. Is that still correct? My reason for asking is this: According to the Swimming World Conversion Utility, my SCM 100 breaststroke time at last year's St. Nick's meet (November 2011) was EXACTLY the NQT time for that event in my age group. It was my personal best time in that event, however, I have not been able to hit it since. But, would it count? Mission Viejo is in August 2013, less than two years from the date I made NQT's. If my times from that meet DO count, then I also made it in the 50 and 200 breaststroke events and get to swim six events. (I will hold off on using an appropriate Smilie until I have confirmation...)
    Last edited by ElaineK; December 17th, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Anna Lea answered in a previous post like this:

• ANYONE can enter Nationals, and enter up to three individual events, without meeting any qualifying times.
    • Swimmers who want to enter more than three individual events must meet qualifying times for those additional events.

The rationale behind these two rules is that we can still allow anyone to enter the meet, but by limiting the number of events swum by the slower swimmers, we can control the length of the meet days.

This system only works as long as everyone is honest. Beyond the first three events, swimmers are on the honor system when they enter the meet. USMS is relying on swimmers to be confident that they can actually achieve the qualifying times.

So there's the history and the rationale. Now I'm going to attempt to answer some common questions about the entry process.

Q: I can't make any of the qualifying times. Does this mean I can't go to Nationals?

A: No. Remember, anyone can enter THREE individual events without having to meet the qualifying times.

Q: When I enter Nationals, do I have to provide proof that I achieved a qualifying time?

A: No. Your entry times for Nationals are submitted on the honor system.

Q: Do I have to achieve my qualifying time in a swim meet?

A: No. You could use a time that you swam in a workout or time trial. Again, remember that this is all on the honor system.

Q: Can I submit the time that I swam 10 years ago as my qualifying time?

A: Only if you think you can still achieve that time!

Quote Originally Posted by aguins View Post

• ANYONE can enter Nationals, and enter up to three individual events, without meeting any qualifying times.
    • Swimmers who want to enter more than three individual events must meet qualifying times for those additional events.
    Yes, I am aware of these points, as I have competed at four Nationals since joining Masters, in 2010. The only point I am unclear on is how long a qualifying time is good for. In other words, how far back from August 2013 can I go when using a qualifying time? I understand it is on the honor system, however, I would like to be 100% and do it right. And, I would like to make NQT's in all three of my core events, so I can add three more events to my list for Mission Viejo: 400 IM, 200 fly, and either 800 or 1500 free. These are new events for me and I am nowhere near making NQT's in them. But, if I earned my right to compete in them by making NQT's in my core events, then, darn it, I want to swim them!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Q: Can I submit the time that I swam 10 years ago as my qualifying time?

A: Only if you think you can still achieve that time!

I think people use times from the last 2 years but this posting from AnnaLea says 10 yrs! (.....f you think you can achieve it!) Was she kidding or is that "for real"?

I think people use times from the last 2 years but this posting from AnnaLea says 10 yrs! (.....f you think you can achieve it!) Was she kidding or is that "for real"?
    At this time USMS does not validate your entered seed times against times achieved at sanctioned/recognized events. So I believe Anna Lea was kidding, somewhat.

However, your entered seed time should be realistic. For example, if you swam the 500 Free in 6:00 10 years ago and you now swim it in 8:00, out of respect for your fellow competitors and the event host please use the 8:00 seed time, even if the national qualifying standard is 7:00.

Yes, most people will use actual times achieved in the past year or 2. Some will adjust this up or down based on training, health and other factors.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    My reason for asking is this: According to the Swimming World Conversion Utility, my SCM 100 breaststroke time at last year's St. Nick's meet (November 2011) was EXACTLY the NQT time for that event in my age group. It was my personal best time in that event, however, I have not been able to hit it since.
    Use the converted time and don't sweat it. Keep in mind these conversions are almost certainly determined by evaluating the times of elite USA Swimming athletes. They are strong and have great turns, therefore they are getting more "credit" for their turns than nearly all masters would. Based on this, you should expect to be closer to your short course time when swimming long course than they would.

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    Use the converted time and don't sweat it. Keep in mind these conversions are almost certainly determined by evaluating the times of elite USA Swimming athletes. They are strong and have great turns, therefore they are getting more "credit" for their turns than nearly all masters would. Based on this, you should expect to be closer to your short course time when swimming long course than they would.
    Thanks for your feedback on this, Kirk.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jroddin View Post
    Qualifying times for Mission Viejo are attached to this post.
    Arrrrrgh! I missed the 100 free NQT by 0.02. Safely in three other events though. Oh well, pretty sure I'm not going to this meet.

I can't get times I did more than 3 years back ---- 10 years ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast