Thread: Triathlons.

Participating Member grandmamaria's Avatar

Smile Triathlons.

Hello my fellow swimmers: I am sure that some of you out there are doing Triathlons. I started doing them this year. In June I did my first one, then 2 more in July. There were Sprint Triathlons and they were fun and very rewarding for me. I am 52 years old and I have always been swimming. In my mid 30s I competed with the Masters for about 4 years and I loved it. Some family situations changed and I had to step out of the sport to dedicate some time to help my daughters, but now, I am back in the pool and loving every minute of it. I don't have much time to swim, maybe an hour 3 times a week, and now, I have taken biking and running as well. I do believe that most of the people who do Trhiathlons are just regular people, with jobs, family, children, grandchildren, (like me, I have 3) and even if we dont qualify as the Elite, we put our hard work and dedication into this sport to do as good a job as any. My goal for next year is to do the Chicago Triathlon, in August. So my question is: How do I build up some endurance in the bike and running. My weakest thing is the run, although the bike is also grueling. Swimming is no problem. I am able to swim 1 mile in about 25 min at the pool but the bike and the run are more difficult for me. Also, WHAT DO I HAVE TO EAT?????? I don't really eat anything special, I love cheese and I do eat fruits and veggies. meat and fish so, is there any special food I have to eat more of? I know I have writen a lot but well. I just want to post my back grownd so the people out there with more experience, can give me some advise. I dont want to loose weight, I am now at 130-132 lb. I am about 5' 7" tall. but I dont want to gain any either. I want to get to eat foods that will give me the energy to last without making me feel to full, when I am riding my bike or running. Sometimes I feel hungry in the middle of the workout so I know something is not right. Any way, thank you so much for any info.
    Maria

Participating Member
    Welcome to the land of the insane! You are now finding what alot of us have learned - it is a time intensive sport when trying ot train all 3 disciplines

Check out
    tri newbies

for some trianing plan ideas and nutrition advice plus a forum to ask triathlon related questions.

The answer to those questions can be found in The Triathletes Training Bible, (I think thats the full title). You can easily find it at Amazon.com, search books "Triathlon Bible" I would guess it is the #1 selling Tri book. And for good reason, it has great training guides, nutritional info everything you need and more.
    Good luck

Another site that I find interseting and helpful it www.beginnertriathlete.com

I did my first triathlons last year as well, and as everyone "warned" me -- I have become totally hooked! And anxiously await the new season.

Running is indeed my weakest link, and I have found Jeff Galloway's Book on Running very helpful. I am following his walk/run program to the letter, and find that it is helping strengthen my legs and conditioning to alleviate my shin splint problems. I ran with terrible shin pain this last year, and am using this off season to try to "fix" that.

I am sure you will do welll and enjoy triathloning -- it not only gives me a goal to work toward, but provides a great cross training for health and fitness that I strive for.

Good luck,

Nancy

Very Active Member Leonard Jansen's Avatar
    Nancy -

One of the best ways to get rid of shin splints is to learn how to racewalk and then practice it occasionally. Racewalkers have very strong anterior tibial muscles and this helps prevent shin splints. On top of that, you can often racewalk through an injury that prevents you from running. Be warned, however, that many runners who try racewalking don't go back to running as RW is fun and has many fewer injuries.

-LBJ

I had some thoughts of racewalking, but from what I see and from the little I know of it, it seems difficult to learn. Perhaps I am mislead, but I have been reluctant to look further, besides the fact that I don't know where to even start looking for instruction or help with racewalking. If you have any ideas, please send them my way. I don't know how many miles of running are in these legs!

Thanks,
    Nancy

Nancy -

I sent you some racewalking contact info for the Seattle area to the AOL account that you have listed in your personal profile. Please don't be shy in contacting the people I listed & feel free to use my name.

Best,
    LBJ

On the subject of race walking, I started RW because I have terrible knees and have a hard time jogging. I wanted to do triathlons so I took up RW. It is a great aerobic exercise with very little stress on the knees. I learned my technique from a very good book titled Walking Fast by T. Iknoian, see Amazon.com. This book is easy to read and understand and provides a good base.

Damage -

I'd recommend Dave McGovern's Complete Guide to Racewalking or Martin Rudow's Advanced Racewalking instead, but if Theresa's book works for you, then great.

-LBJ

Thanks to both of you for the book recommendations, and Leonard I will try contacting those you suggested in your email to me.

I am sorry to have taken the topic off of swimming Does there happen to be a website for racewalking???

Thanks again,

Nancy

Participating Member
    Since running doesn't happen to be my forte, especially after a nice swim and bike ride, I usually do run/walk intervals to get ease the pain. Migh have to check out racewalking

Nancy - I don't see a problem straying into triathlon on a swim site since so many triathletes join masters swimming so they can improve their swimming and get the help so many of us desperatly need in the water.

Nancy -

As to websites, try:

http://www.worldwidewalkers.net Warning: Funded by a wealthy person who has an axe to grind with the mainstream of racewalking in the U.S. Generally timely competition info, though.
    http://www.racewalking.com Jeff Salvage's site.
    http://members.aol.com/rayzwocker/wo...s/homepage.htm The very eclectic Dave McGovern's site. Dave is a trip and a half.
    http://www.usatf.org This is the NGB for Track & Field (and racewalking) for the U.S.
    http://www.iaaf.org This is the international organizing group for track and field.

There is also a Yahoo group, I believe. Most of the above sites will also have links to other sites as well.

Be aware that the controversies that go on in racewalking make the Middle East situation look benign and simple. Don't let that bother you. Just take what you need out of it and skip the B.S.

-LBJ

Participating Member

TRI TRAINING

congrats on discovering another great sport. you raised many questions and ill try to add my 0.02 quickly is possible.

how to build up endurance? clearly swimming is a serious strength and most strong swimmers take years to master the run. running is weight bearing and alot of swimmers struggle with this. the key is to start slowly. i coach triathletes and some are strong swimmers/weak runners and its the injuries that cause them the most problems, not so much the endurance. what id recommend is a plan where you run no more than 3x per week, or every other day...start off by walking 4 min/jogging 1 and repeat that as you see fit. after a week or so try walking 3/jogging 2 and so on, eventually youll be running the whole time, but you have to take baby steps in the first two months or so to avoid the injuries. I finally convinced my wife to do this and shes managed to do several half marathons and half ironmans. you just need to be a little patient up front. the other problem with the run part of a tri is that its the last event and youre already good and tired by then, so this is where your overall endurance comes into play. when you get tired your running form deteriorates which also leads to injury. therefore you need to have a solid aerobic base. Chicago is an olympic distance race which will take you 3 hrs or more. be prepared to exercise for this duration. the best way to achieve this is to develop your biking endurance. get to the point where you can ride 2.5 to 3 hrs comfortably. (remember endurance training can be done at a slow comfortable pace, you dont need to hammer the long stuff) as with running this should be done gradually. figure out how many weeks youll have to train for chicago, and develop a plan accordingly. work backwards from the race date and figure out how you can up your mileage to the necessary quantities....youll probably need to be able to run about an hour and a half and ride for 2.5 hrs. (these would be your ultimate long workouts...just to make sure you have the aerobic strength you need)

as far as what to eat. everybody knows whats healthy and what isnt, however, if youre concerned with race nutrition you need to experiment. you will need to eat during a race of this duration. some people go the totally liquid route using gatorade and sports drinks, allow for 300 cals/hr or some mix things like power bars/clif bars in combination with sports drinks and water. regardless of which path you choose, either will provide the necessary calories but you must practice in training. one things for sure, during a race, nothing tastes good!! things to avoid...dont eat a big salad or tons of fruit the day before, be very careful as to how various foods affect you from one day to the next.

best of luck

Thank you LBJ for what look like great sites. I have at least opened and bookmarked them to peruse at leaisure. www.racewalking .com results in a error message -- unable to find. Perhaps this one is no longer active. I will be checking out these sites and really giving racewalking some cnsideration -- if I can learn to do it correctly!

And thanks to Bulldog for the tips for running and training to run.

I do still swim -- and am just about to leave for some time in the pool.

Nancy

This isn't really a reply to my own message, but does pertain to triathlons so I thought I would keep it under that thread.

This morning (the last of this year) I did an indoor tri at my Y. It was fantastic, and I think I have just started an annual "tradition"

Someone on another forum I am on suggested this, and at first I thought the logistics too confining -- pool to down the hall to the bike and then treadmill??? But it works if you don't pay attention to the first tranistion. I did make a clothing change and put on a baseball cap for the dry part of the tri, and the rest was simple.

I did 800 yd swim, 13 mile bike, 3.0 mile run/walk.

I feel GREAT!!!!

Happy New Year everyone

Nancy

Participating Member grandmamaria's Avatar

Triathlons

Hello every body. l want to thank each and everyone of you who replied to me giving me advice and encouragement. l am so looking forward to this year's Triathlons season!!!!!! Like bulldog said, it takes a bit of time for a swimmer to get used to running so l have been really concentrating on endurance in this sport.
    l am a swimmer and the swim part of a Tri is my best. The bike is ok, but l still need to improve a little. Thanks again for your kind words. Maria

Participating Member

Bike &Run

I do long course, international distance and I'm going to start doing halfs. I would recommend following the one workout a day schedule in triathlete magazine. To help with the bike you must join a riding group for a period of time. The riders you ride with should be faster, they will tortue you but you will become better, faster. As far as the run goes, you just have to run. Peruse thru Running magazine for tips on form & technique. Do some fun runs locally 5k, 10k. Running comes down to guts & willpower. Many age-groupers lose their mental toughness on the run. If you gut it out you will pass people who are blowing up. As far as eats go, I'm in favor of hi-protein intake, balance your carbs, carb load before an event. Get on some good supplements. Sleep more during peak training!!! Sleep will pay you dividends. Good luck and go HARD!!!!! You will pass people half your age.