Thread: Making a comeback

Participating Member

Making a comeback

Hello,

So another question. I started Master's swim team but had to quit due to schedule conflicts and feeling as though I wasn't improving and was dragging people down in my lane. I want to get better but I don't feel like I am improving at all. I have a pool I am going to and working out 5 days a week to improve. However, I am just picking random workouts from USM websites.

Does anyone have a good training schedule rather than a random workout? IM's, Drills, etc?

Thank You,

Jen

Participating Member

Re: Making a comeback

I do whatever feels right. I started out with 600m medleys, and now I do 1km medleys. 200 of each stroke (with 200 extra free). Next week I'll be bumping it back up to 1500-2000m as hopefully my shoulder will be better and given the all clear.

Participating Member

I like to think of that country song, "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was." I can't maintain a workout like I used to, not even close. As we get older, we need to focus on quality and not quantity. I don't get caught up on that I can no longer maintain 30x50 LCM on 1:15 all butterfly and hold 26 highs and 27 lows, I will NEVER be able to do that again.

We need to know your main events, your goals, etc. to really give you help. I am a firm believer in training smarter, not harder. We all know that as we get older, our bodies can't take the abuse they once could. What are your strengths, weaknesses, goals, etc.? Without knowing these things, all I can say is focus on DPS(naturally focuses on underwater mechanics), then handspeed and LEGS.

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by AUtiger View Post
    I can't maintain a workout like I used to, not even close. As we get older, we need to focus on quality and not quantity.
    Truth. Couldnt agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmartin02 View Post
    Hello,

So another question. I started Master's swim team but had to quit due to schedule conflicts and feeling as though I wasn't improving and was dragging people down in my lane. I want to get better but I don't feel like I am improving at all. I have a pool I am going to and working out 5 days a week to improve. However, I am just picking random workouts from USM websites.

Does anyone have a good training schedule rather than a random workout? IM's, Drills, etc?

Thank You,

Jen

5 workouts a week. You might be overtraining. Less might be better. As an older swimmer I have been doing no more than 2-3 swim workouts a week. I combine them with dryland, weight workouts. I have been experimenting with a 2 days on (dryland/swim and 1 day off, or 2 on and 2 off. I even went the month of August with a 1 day on and 2 days off. I still got in about 4-5 good workouts every 2 weeks with some brisk walking 2-4 miles on an off day. The 2 & 2 seemed to work well. If you've got a busy RL schedule and you really workout on those days you will still make it count. I seem to remember reading somewhere that after a really tough workout it could take your body up to 72 hours to recover. I'm 55 and it sometimes after a tough dryland session I'm still sore on the 3rd day.