Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Swim Coaches in Trouble

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Re: Swim Coaches in Trouble

Tualatin Hills Swim Club removes Paul Bergen's name from swim meet following abuse allegations
    http://www.oregonlive.com/beaverton/...lub_remov.html

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

I guess it's not just swim coaches:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.1553985

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Former Chattahoochee Gold Head Site Coach Neil Savage Admits to Relationship With High School Athlete

If you read the COMMENTS section below the article many of his swimmers and swim parents came to his defense.
    Several cite "she was 18 at the time, the age of consent in Georgia is 16, I see nothing wrong with that."
    Many felt SwimSwam shouldn't have shared his letter. I've never seen any story on swimswam get as many comments.

I'm curious why he decided to reveal the relationship now. Was the info about to break and he wanted to get ahead of it or did he have a crisis of conscience and did the right thing? I'm curious to see how USA Swimming rules on his case.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Humans --- most are good, BUT can be wrong in ANY field. Priests,cops,dads,moms,politicians,plumbers etc. We ,as the good ones, must watch our loved & cared for ones to try to alert others of the wrong people.

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Plumbers? You have to soil their reputations by linking them to priests and politicians? Or is it just the attraction if alliteration?
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post
    Thanks for posting, Ande, that's an incredible piece. My wife had told me about the article -- we subscribe to Outside magazine -- but I hadn't gotten around to reading it. Having a link to an online version was convenient

http://www.beyondchron.org/fed-inves...side-magazine/

... a 15-page article by writer Rachel Sturtz in the December issue of Outside magazine, which hits newsstands today. It is the best hope in years for getting this multi-generational, Catholic Church-scale national disgrace the attention it deserves, and for spurring investigations set in motion over the summer by retiring Congressman George Miller of California’s 11th District and several offices of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Coach Tim O'brien banned for Life
    https://swimswam.com/usa-swimming-ad...anned-coaches/

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.co...nned-for-life/

https://swimswam.com/pennsylvania-hs...educe-swimmer/

There’s no doubt that around the country there are many more perpetrators, victims, & witnesses who've remained silent. It is OK to speak or write your truth and get justice.

USA Swimming’s Safe Sport Code of Conduct http://www.usaswimming.org/ViewMiscA...74&ItemId=5773

USA Swimmings Complaint Process
    http://www.usaswimming.org/DesktopDe...ainbow&Lang=en

INDIVIDUALS SUSPENDED OR INELIGIBLE – PERMANENTLY
    It cites the reason/s.
    http://www.usaswimming.org/ViewMiscA...11&ItemId=5107

INDIVIDUALS SUSPENDED OR INELIGIBLE – SPECIFIC DATE
    http://usaswimming.org/ViewMiscArtic...11&ItemId=7056

If you are a victim or a witness report your concern

If Your Concern Deals with Any of the Following:
    Sexual Misconduct
    Sexual Harassment
    Criminal Charges
    Use, Sale, or Distribution of illegal drugs
    Physical Abuse
    Inappropriate Touching
    Lap Sitting
    Coaches sharing hotel rooms with Athletes
    Rubdown or Massage performed by coaches
    Pictures or video taken in locker rooms or changing areas
    Sexually Explicit/Inappropriate Communication through Social Media

REPORT TO USA SWIMMING
    https://fs22.formsite.com/usaswimming/form10/index.html
    Last edited by ande; March 9th, 2016 at 09:55 AM.

Blog Entries

Joe Bernal just received a lifetime ban:
    https://swimswam.com/joe-bernal-adde...s-banned-list/

Blog Entries

Participating Member

It's about time this blew up. Something better come of it this time. USAS is the biggest sham I ever got involved in. So glad I've removed myself and my name from it every way I could. I used to think swimming was such a clean sport, USAS sure changed that.

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Swimming is a clean sport. Some people take advantage of swimmers, that is not good. Crapping on the sport because of the weakness of a few is just lazy.

Another sorry takeaway from this is how many good people are going to get lumped in with the bad.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Heather View Post
    Swimming is a clean sport. Some people take advantage of swimmers, that is not good. Crapping on the sport because of the weakness of a few is just lazy.

Another sorry takeaway from this is how many good people are going to get lumped in with the bad.
    There is nothing inherently bad about the sport. However, it is very, very different than a great many other ones. The relationship between coaches and swimmers is very unique and individualistic for several reasons. First, start with teh fact that the sexes train together, unlike more popular team sports. The head coaches are more often than not, males. The fact that it is an individual sport means that swimmers get individual attention from their coaches at a level that exceeds most by a pretty long shot. Perhaps the biggest difference is the amount of time the two spend together. Not just the fact that a lot of high school kids spend a ridiculous number of hours in the pool (e.g. my daughter, 13, is working to get in over 17 hours per week during school, and 19 hours per week in the Summer), but they may start working together as early as 6-7 years old. Girls in particular can start excelling at a very young age, and some as young as 12 are making J-Nats, Trials, etc. By 13, the better ones are training with the senior swimmers (on our team, the fastest female swimmer in each event is just 13), so they may be training with the same head coach for 6 seasons.

That's a long time to develop a level of trust. Add to that that girls in particular that age often seek approval from folks other than their parents, and it makes them more susceptible to the influence of a coach. I'm not saying that child predators are more likely to be in swimming, but I'm saying that people whose judgement may lapse are more exposed to opportunity in swimming than in a great many other activities.d

So no, nothing inherent in swimming, but the environment certainly is different. And there have been tons of cases like this one where an older coach has a very, very inappropriate relationship with his swimmers.

Blog Entries

I'm confident USA Swimming has come a long way in their approach to things like this since 2010. I really hope they have.

Very Active Member Redbird Alum's Avatar

USA Swimming now requires coaches to complete a regime of Safe Sport training, that includes a lot of great information for maintaining proper relations with athletes, and eliminating opportunities for infractions. There is also a well structured program for the athletes and their parents, including how to report any concerns.

As with any sport, there will always be bad apples.

Today in The Orange County Register:

100s of USA swimmers were sexually abused for decades and the people in charge knew and ignored it, investigation finds

By SCOTT M. REID |
    PUBLISHED: February 16, 2018 at 10:59 am | UPDATED: February 17, 2018 at 11:38 am

For decades the sexual abuse of young athletes by their coaches lingered just beneath the surface in American swimming’s otherwise golden waters ...

[ ... Extensive article follows ... ]
    Link --> Link

Full URL: https://www.ocregister.com/2018/02/1...e-for-decades/

Wow.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by 67King View Post
    There is nothing inherently bad about the sport. However, it is very, very different than a great many other ones. The relationship between coaches and swimmers is very unique and individualistic for several reasons. First, start with teh fact that the sexes train together, unlike more popular team sports. The head coaches are more often than not, males. The fact that it is an individual sport means that swimmers get individual attention from their coaches at a level that exceeds most by a pretty long shot. Perhaps the biggest difference is the amount of time the two spend together. Not just the fact that a lot of high school kids spend a ridiculous number of hours in the pool (e.g. my daughter, 13, is working to get in over 17 hours per week during school, and 19 hours per week in the Summer), but they may start working together as early as 6-7 years old. Girls in particular can start excelling at a very young age, and some as young as 12 are making J-Nats, Trials, etc. By 13, the better ones are training with the senior swimmers (on our team, the fastest female swimmer in each event is just 13), so they may be training with the same head coach for 6 seasons.

That's a long time to develop a level of trust. Add to that that girls in particular that age often seek approval from folks other than their parents, and it makes them more susceptible to the influence of a coach. I'm not saying that child predators are more likely to be in swimming, but I'm saying that people whose judgement may lapse are more exposed to opportunity in swimming than in a great many other activities.d

So no, nothing inherent in swimming, but the environment certainly is different. And there have been tons of cases like this one where an older coach has a very, very inappropriate relationship with his swimmers.
    How true, girl swimmers mature so fast in the sport and yes there are some bad coaches.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast