Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaststroke kick

Participating Member

Breaststroke kick

Please help I'm teaching a few people to swim and there seems to be a problem with their breastroke kick. This is my main stroke and I don't seem able to give it over to them. They manage a push off, glide, hands, but their legs seem to lack power. Any tips? Any videos any1 can recommend?

Blog Entries

Re: Breaststroke kick

Being the last stroke for me to learn (not too long ago), I developed difficulty kicking a legit br kick. I finally manged to get it right with a drill where your hands drag behind and your feet touch them on the retracting part of the kick. I used a snorkel to keep this up for lengths.

This, and tons of other drills can be viewed at go-swim.tv

Teach them on land in the prone position.You draw your feet up to your rear, turn your feet out as far as possible,and then kick back.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Maybe you can get them to hold on to the gutter or the ladder with their hands, and you can hold and guide their feet, so that they learn what the outward turning of the feet feels like.

Breaststroke used to be the first stroke you learned in Norway. Nowadays they teach pushoffs, streamline, floating and crawl, but in the seventies only the kids on swimming teams ever learned anything besides breast. My classmates looked at me in confusion and envy when I'd swim freestyle.

My parents' generation tells stories of learning to swim lying on their stomachs on a kitchen stool, practicing breaststroke for considerable time before they were allowed near water. It may be worth a try, if only for the entertainment. The problem is that they won't get to feel the push when they do it right.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eelbilly View Post
    Maybe you can get them to hold on to the gutter or the ladder with their hands, and you can hold and guide their feet, so that they learn what the outward turning of the feet feels like.
    Perfect! I wish I had learned this way. The only instruction I received in breaststroke prior to joining the high school swim team was back when I was a young kid in an American Red Cross swim class. We were told, "Up, out, together" and learned a wide frog kick.

When I joined the high school swim team (my first time competitng experience), I learned breaststroke kick by swimming behind the only other breaststroker on the team. I would watch her and copy what she did, because our "coach" didn't know how to swim; she was a P.E. teacher stuck with the swim team. (Of course, we didn't realize she didn't know how to swim until we threw her in the pool after beating our rival, my senior year. )
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Participating Member

I've been teaching them using the ladder. I don't understand how you can teach them on the deck - ie in the prone position. You have to get the legs underneath you , bringing the knees towards the stomach? Is that not right? Someone who is an expert in breastroke teaching, Help?

No that is not right.Bringing the knees up creates too much drag.
    Allen

Hey Steve, that's an interesting new avatar! I think you win the award for the most new avatars in the shortest period of time. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if That Guy chimes in and challenges you to an avatar . But, having said that, I hope he doesn't, because his current avatar is a hoot!

Back on topic, King Frog is right about the kick. Watch this: http://youtu.be/3sjjv-vNExs . Yes, the thighs do go down some on the kick, but not underneath the stomach.

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Modern Breaststroke is all about maintaining streamline as much as possible.As seen in Elaine's video of Kitajima there is some flexing at the hips to increase the power of the kick,but it comes right before the kick,breaking streamline for the shortest period of time possible.
    Allen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Hey Steve, that's an interesting new avatar! I think you win the award for the most new avatars in the shortest period of time. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if That Guy chimes in and challenges you to an avatar . But, having said that, I hope he doesn't, because his current avatar is a hoot!
    Ce n'est pas un avatar.
    "I blame you, James!" - knelson

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Ce n'est pas un avatar.

Blog Entries

Is there anything that I can think about to help with the rhythm of pull to kick, with that undulation thrown in? I need to work more on the feet to fanny bit, and it seems like a whisper of a dolphin kick in there are the feet return to streamline. Is that right?
    ..<))><

Blog Entries

Ce n'est pas un avatar.
    Esaki ta mi Avatar!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    Esaki ta mi Avatar!!!

Proszę nie Dyskutować film spoilery tutaj aby nie zepsuć dla ludzi, którzy nie widziałem jeszcze.
    "I blame you, James!" - knelson

Proszę nie Dyskutować film spoilery tutaj aby nie zepsuć dla ludzi, którzy nie widziałem jeszcze.
    ください英語を話す !!!

Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem View Post
    Is there anything that I can think about to help with the rhythm of pull to kick, with that undulation thrown in? I need to work more on the feet to fanny bit, and it seems like a whisper of a dolphin kick in there are the feet return to streamline. Is that right?
    Try BR pull with dolphin kick with fins(one kick per pull). This is a good way to feel the timing.Work on keeping your hips up as you lunge forward on the pull recovery.
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem View Post
    Also,
    This weekend I was at Eric Shanteau’s Swim4OurLives and listened in on the breaststroke clinic led by Rebecca Soni and Mark Gangloff. Soni had her group doing a variation of the 2 kick 1 pull drill, which makes a lot more sense to me than just kick-kick-pull. She had the group do it as kick-pull-kick-glide, with the focus on the timing of the kick in the pull-kick-glide section. Soni and Gangloff made it look so easy, but the rest of the group seemed to be getting the hang of it as well.

To add to Allen’s suggestion, another drill is to start off BR with dolphin kick (this time no fins) and once you get into your timing after 3-5 strokes, then switch to BR kick for the rest of the length while keeping the hips up, lunge and timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Copeland View Post
    Also,
    This weekend I was at Eric Shanteau’s Swim4OurLives and listened in on the breaststroke clinic led by Rebecca Soni and Mark Gangloff. Soni had her group doing a variation of the 2 kick 1 pull drill, which makes a lot more sense to me than just kick-kick-pull. She had the group do it as kick-pull-kick-glide, with the focus on the timing of the kick in the pull-kick-glide section. Soni and Gangloff made it look so easy, but the rest of the group seemed to be getting the hang of it as well.

To add to Allen’s suggestion, another drill is to start off BR with dolphin kick (this time no fins) and once you get into your timing after 3-5 strokes, then switch to BR kick for the rest of the length while keeping the hips up, lunge and timing.
    That is a good drill.Another is 2 strokes fly,2 strokes BR,2 strokes fly etc.
    Allen

Blog Entries

Thanks, guys. I'll try those drills out. Still working on improving
    ..<))><

Ande posted this on the Breaststroke Lane thread,but I am repeating it here because of Coach Nagy's comments about the kick.http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...World%20Record .
    Allen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast