Thread: Coaching in the water

Participating Member Postmodernguy's Avatar

Coaching in the water

I would like to spend more time in the water with my swimmers. Are there techniques that you have found valuable in providing the best coaching o the greatest number of swimmers from in the pool as opposed to from the deck?

Re: Coaching in the water

First answer is a practical one. In order for you and your swimmers to be covered by USMS insurance, a USMS member must be in "line of sight" of all the swimmers, or rather “standing on deck.” If you get in the water either to demo a stroke technique or establish the pace for a set, one of your registered swimmers should hop out and stand on deck.

Second answer is applicable to the question. I find it beneficial to be standing in the water during the drill session. I can demonstrate technique, watch swimmers above and below the water, grab swimmers and reinforce what I would like to see in their stroke. On days in which I train with my swimmers, I have my asst coach run the workout from the deck. I get in early to warm-up myself, so that I can assist the swimmers during their warm-up, drill sets, and during cool downs. I move from lane to lane, helping 1 or 2 in each lane, or sometimes I hold up the entire lane and spend time with them. Don’t talk too long, as people get cold or want to move along. A quick sentence, then send them off. If you need to show them, don’t swim away from them. Stand on the bottom and talk as you “swim”. Combining words with a visual action gets the point across quicker.

Participating Member Postmodernguy's Avatar

Re: Coaching in the water

Thank you for your most helpful suggestions, Susan.