Thread: Survey about a new pair of revolutionary goggles

Participating Member

Survey about a new pair of revolutionary goggles

I am a Boston University student working on a design for a new pair of goggles for a school project. I would really appreciate it if you could take this quick survey (http://bumanagement.qualtrics.com//S...2jGaOcVIrLRa61) and provide some input on this design. Your responses will be kept confidential.

Thanks!

Re: Survey about a new pair of revolutionary goggles

Whoa! These goggles sound super cool. Would it possible to make them prescription? That wasn't mentioned on the survey, and I know that I personally have to have prescription goggles when I swim.

Very Active Member

Got to love the way they lumped all people over 46 together. Because of course there's no difference at all between a 46 year old and a 76 year old whatsoever.

My concern is that this design will make the goggles feel too tight.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Blog Entries

+1 on optical. I would wonder about bulkiness. Neat idea, makes me think about the old 'pump' basketball sneakers.
    ..<))><

Very Active Member

You really need to have more information about the proposed goggles. I have no idea of what the material is that is fitting directly on the skin around the eyes---some foams work for me--others don't. If they are designed like Swedish goggles and sit hard on the bone--I wouldn't be interested. Would they be available in a tint? What about adjustments across the nose? What material are the lens made of?

Blog Entries

I second (or third) the optical option, and for the OW'ers, I would love transition goggles! You swim out along the shore, the sun on your back, clear goggles are a dream. On the way back, the sun is setting, it is in your eyes, you are all over the lake, really wishing for tinted lenses. Make me a pair like that, I kid you not, I'd pay a $100 plus for them!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coreteamprime View Post
    I am a Boston University student working on a design for a new pair of goggles for a school project. I would really appreciate it if you could take this quick survey (http://bumanagement.qualtrics.com//S...2jGaOcVIrLRa61) and provide some input on this design. Your responses will be kept confidential.

Thanks!
    I was flummoxed by question #2 ... how can one possibly choose just one reason?
    Why do you swim?

For fun As a workout To compete
    But, on a serious note, with a gazillion different types of goggles out there, do we really need another design? Also, while the main issue that these appear to be 'solving' is water getting in the goggles, I just don't see that as an issue. Age group swimmers learn with all different types of goggles that the key to keeping water out is head position and a moderate amount of tension.

Good luck, but, for my two cents, making a tech suit that sell for $150 instead of $350 to $500 might offer you a better market and profit margins.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    I was flummoxed by question #2

Good luck, but, for my two cents, making a tech suit that sell for $150 instead of $350 to $500 might offer you a better market and profit margins.
    It's a school project, I wouldn't lose sleep over it
    USMS Secretary
    NI LMSC Chair/Webmaster - http://www.niagaramasters.org

Very Active Member

Sweed's are already revolutionary enough for me, lol. Though I wish you could buy them "pre filed" with no rough edges.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gdanner View Post
    I agree. Seems like a creative design project idea to me.

I agree with Allen's sentiment about feeling too tight. If you press your goggles too hard against your face it tends to make your eyes bug out. I don't think I'd use a product that did this intentionally.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gdanner View Post
    Definitely not ... but better to teach the students well early about picking the right market! The goggle market is saturated and with all of the niches well-covered; the tech suit market is over-weighted towards over-priced suits. I think there's money in them thar tech suit hills for a 'Toyoyta/Honda' model of tech suits = great quality, great endurance, moderate, but not cheap price; all we have a choice of now are Lamborghinis and Porsches = overpriced, overhyped, high maintenance.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    I was flummoxed by question #2 ... how can one possibly choose just one reason?
    Why do you swim?

For fun As a workout To compete
    But, on a serious note, with a gazillion different types of goggles out there, do we really need another design? Also, while the main issue that these appear to be 'solving' is water getting in the goggles, I just don't see that as an issue. Age group swimmers learn with all different types of goggles that the key to keeping water out is head position and a moderate amount of tension.

+1 on everything you said!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

The revolutionary design looks similar to the Speedo Vanquisher. Good luck.

I want the goggle that will sit on my face for a 2 -3 hour open water swim and not cut into the bridge of my nose...and not leak and not fog.

Really, I want one that doesn't put a groove in my nose after a long open water swim. Maybe I need the google designer to measure my face and make it custom fit..for less than $20 -- seems unlikely.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by fmracing View Post
    Sweed's are already revolutionary enough for me, lol. Though I wish you could buy them "pre filed" with no rough edges.
    That's why I usually ignore all other goggles.

Very Active Member

Posts like this make me immediately skeptical. A user's first post playing to our "help everyone out" attitudes, yet not one follow up in 3 days? Makes me wonder if its something business related rather than in the name of university research. Apologies if I am incorrect, but this has happened way too many times here for me to take it as truth.

Blog Entries

A user's first post playing to our "help everyone out" attitudes, yet not one follow up in 3 days?
    Not sure why he/she needs to follow up other than to possibly say "thanks for taking my survey!" Wasn't getting us to take the survey this person's reason for posting in the first place? We weren't exactly asked to opine here, we just couldn't help ourselves!

Participating Member

Posts like this make me immediately skeptical. A user's first post playing to our "help everyone out" attitudes, yet not one follow up in 3 days? Makes me wonder if its something business related rather than in the name of university research. Apologies if I am incorrect, but this has happened way too many times here for me to take it as truth.
    I apologize for not following up sooner. My group and I really appreciate all of the feedback that you have all been giving us for our project. We have received a lot of great, honest responses to the survey which is something that we would not have been able to do had we just surveyed our friends and family. Even though we are just doing this for a school project, we wanted to be able to get as much of a realistic view about the interest for a product like this as possible.

Once again, everyone's input has been so helpful and I can't thank all of you enough for taking the survey!

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by coreteamprime View Post
    I apologize for not following up sooner. My group and I really appreciate all of the feedback that you have all been giving us for our project. We have received a lot of great, honest responses to the survey which is something that we would not have been able to do had we just surveyed our friends and family. Even though we are just doing this for a school project, we wanted to be able to get as much of a realistic view about the interest for a product like this as possible.

Once again, everyone's input has been so helpful and I can't thank all of you enough for taking the survey!
    Thanks!