Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Read any good books lately?

Re: Read any good books lately?

I'm stuck at home for weeks after my knee replacement so I'm reading a stack of Elin Hilderbrand novels, all take place on Nantucket, great summer beach reading for being iced in in Illinois.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    Has anyone else read Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell? I just passed the halfway point and I'm really enjoying it. I don't want to spoil it, but the book is a series of stories each set in a different time, from 1850 to the future. Each story ends abruptly and then the next story starts so you've got to wait until the second half of the book to see what happens in each story. It's an effective device because you get drawn into each storyline and then when it ends you slowly get drawn into the next. I just hope it can finish as strong as it has started!

I know there was a movie made last year based on the book, but I it's difficult for me to imagine how they could do it justice.
    I haven't looked at this thread for a while, but your post prompted this reply. I'm a big David Mitchell fan. Just finished The Bone Clocks, his latest. Good, but not his best. Most accessible is Black Swan Green, very funny semi auto biographical. Also the the Ten Thousand Autumns of Jacob deZoot is a great historical novel.

I usually read fiction, but enjoyed The Boys In The Boat by David James Brown about the University of Washington crew team that rowed in the 1936 Olympics.

Blog Entries

The Boys in the Boat is definitely on my list to read. I've got a hold on The Bone Clocks at the library, but there are lots of people on the list ahead of me!

Blog Entries

I just finished Boys in the Boat this morning and really enjoyed it!
    "If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to meet it." - Jonathan Winters, actor and comedian

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    The Boys in the Boat is definitely on my list to read. I've got a hold on The Bone Clocks at the library, but there are lots of people on the list ahead of me!
    The Bone Clocks is replete with characters from other of his books. Might be more enjoyable to read Ten Thousand Autumns first, a great book set during the opening of trading with Japan in the 18th century.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the recommendation, Rich. I'll check it out.

Blog Entries

I just read Wild (Cheryl Strayed) and really enjoyed it. I haven't yet seen the movie, but the book was great.
    Follow my blog http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=5013
    Twitter @BrundageSwims

Participating Member

Thanks for all the great selections! I just finished The Emerald Mile by Kevin Fedarko. A fantastic book about the fastest ride in history down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. It covers the discovery/history of the Grand Canyon, Bureau of Reclamation and the dams, river guiding, and all the adventures. Also recently read Kaffir Boy - an autobiography by Mark Mathabane - a young boy growing up in South Africa during the apartheid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hwern View Post
    Thanks for all the great selections! I just finished The Emerald Mile by Kevin Fedarko. A fantastic book about the fastest ride in history down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. It covers the discovery/history of the Grand Canyon, Bureau of Reclamation and the dams, river guiding, and all the adventures.
    It made me want to visit (and raft down) the Grand Canyon, that's for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Abrahams View Post
    I haven't looked at this thread for a while, but your post prompted this reply. I'm a big David Mitchell fan. Just finished The Bone Clocks, his latest. Good, but not his best. Most accessible is Black Swan Green, very funny semi auto biographical. Also the the Ten Thousand Autumns of Jacob deZoot is a great historical novel.

I usually read fiction, but enjoyed The Boys In The Boat by David James Brown about the University of Washington crew team that rowed in the 1936 Olympics.
    I've not read Cloud Atlas, but I read The Bone Clocks and really liked it. Black Swan Green has to be in the top 20 of my all time favorite reads. It's powerful fiction, that.

Blog Entries

For all of you flow junkies, check out The Rise of Superman by Steven Kotler. It is a great read and offers some great hacks for finding the flow state. Great ideas for life, but also for swimming.
    Follow my blog http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=5013
    Twitter @BrundageSwims

My guilty pleasure is "The Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher.Start with "Storm Front" and keep going.It is not great literature,but this series about a wizard/detective is fast paced and just fun.Book seven "Dead Beat"has the greatest action sequence in history(IMHO).If you have read it you know what I mean.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Blog Entries

Oh pwb - That sounds like a good read. Hmm.... thanks for that suggestion.

I just started All the LIght We Cannot See for book club and am already having a difficult time putting it down. WWII era story.
    "If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to meet it." - Jonathan Winters, actor and comedian

"Hothouse orchid" by Stuart woods. A special agent in the CIA story. Very good reading.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456