Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Read any good books lately?

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Re: Read any good books lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
    I am slowly moving into the 21st century and recently got an e-reader. Being the cheapskate that I am, I'd like to find free books for it. Does anyone have recommendations for web sites to find free e-books?

Anna Lea
    I get them from the public library.

Blog Entries

Project Gutenberg

Also, you didn't mention which e-reader you bought, but the vendors of such devices all have free stuff, I believe. You might have to hunt around. I don't have an e-reader, but have both Nook and Kindle apps on my Android phone. Just for grins, I loaded Dracula from the Barnes and Noble Classics Series into my Nook account when I first set it up.

Blog Entries

I am slowly moving into the 21st century and recently got an e-reader. Being the cheapskate that I am, I'd like to find free books for it. Does anyone have recommendations for web sites to find free e-books?
    The library is my go-to source. I haven't had to purchase an e-book in years!

Blog Entries

Anna Lea
    No surprise that I too recommend the library! Project Gutenberg (mentioned above) is also good. Many of the e-readers also come or have sections to search for public domain e-books. The Overdrive e-book service (which is the market leader in such services, for good or ill) through my public library also has a section for these that don't count against your checkout limit. Some of my friends like this site as well: http://www.freebooksifter.com/

If you have a Kindle and Amazon Prime, you can borrow certain books but only one per month. Also, while not free, you can sometimes find some steeply discounted stuff in the daily and monthly deals section.
    "Librarians are hiding something." - Stephen Colbert

Blog Entries

Something I find interesting is even though the checkout period for ebooks at my library is three weeks, the books don't magically disappear from my Kindle after three weeks. I think it's because I keep the wireless turned off. I just keep reading the book until I'm finished regardless of how long it takes.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ekw View Post
    The Overdrive e-book service (which is the market leader in such services, for good or ill) through my public library also has a section for these that don't count against your checkout limit.
    I really like the Overdrive software for reading (and listening) but I don't like the search function that well. Is there another system used elsewhere?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by no200fly View Post
    I really like the Overdrive software for reading (and listening) but I don't like the search function that well. Is there another system used elsewhere?
    The other one I know about in the public library market is called 3M Cloud Library (http://www.3m.com/us/library/eBook/). It does not support transferring books from the computer to Kindles, but there is an app you can use for it on the Kindle Fire. My public library has both this and Overdrive and there is not a ton of overlap between the two, which is nice.

USMS Membership Director Jayhawk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    Something I find interesting is even though the checkout period for ebooks at my library is three weeks, the books don't magically disappear from my Kindle after three weeks. I think it's because I keep the wireless turned off. I just keep reading the book until I'm finished regardless of how long it takes.
    That is interesting. I was wondering how the "checkout period" worked with library e-books.

Thank you to all for your comments and suggestions!

Anna Lea

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    The NY Times had an Ethicist column about this a few years back :
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/ma...ooch.html?_r=0

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

The NY Times had an Ethicist column about this a few years back :
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/ma...ooch.html?_r=0
    Do you know if the library purchases copies of the books or only has a time limited license to use them?
    I can imagine a time when paper books are a rarity and electronic media is almost exclusive. Thatís what we have now in my profession.

I wonder about the Fahrenheit 451 implications of an entirely electronic catalog.

I wonder about the Fahrenheit 451 implications of an entirely electronic catalog.
    So would the rewrite be called Fahrenheit 2,577?
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine and not those of U.S. Masters Swimming.

Blog Entries

Do you know if the library purchases copies of the books or only has a time limited license to use them?
    I can imagine a time when paper books are a rarity and electronic media is almost exclusive. Thatís what we have now in my profession.

Oh boy, that's a complicated one. I am an academic librarian so I can really only speak to the academic e-book market. There's a great deal of variation in purchase/lease models as well as usage permissions. As far as purchase/lease, some titles are sold with a perpetual license so the library owns them, insofar as one can really own an e-book (a debatable subject). Some titles are leased on a subscription basis, so the library has access to a certain collection of books for a limited time period. In my experience, a lot of e-books are sold and/or leased on a collection basis rather than by individual title, though this is changing.

As far as usage models, on one end of the spectrum you have the model that's common with most public library models - each title can be used by only one patron at a time, for a time limited period, and at the end of that period the file stops working. Oh, and some of those also restrict how much of it you can print. Most of our e-books don't yet come in Kindle/e-pub formats but as a PDF, albeit one with DRM that requires you to use something like Adobe Digital Editions rather than Reader. All the way over on the other side of the spectrum are the collections that allow unlimited simultaneous access and downloads that don't expire. In the academic environment this is much preferred, since it mirrors the permissions for most periodicals in electronic format.

Making all these books sold/leased findable using tools sold/leased by other vendors is, in technical terms/my opinion, a huge honking mess.

Anecdotally, I'm not sure that the oft-said "students love e-books" is really true and I can personally attest that there is definitely a segment of faculty members who absolutely hate e-books and spend time composing nasty-grams to hapless librarians re: acquisition of the same. To be fair, there are others who like them just fine.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

That is really interesting. I thought there might be a shift to subscription based books.

I never thought I would use e-books, but almost all legal research materials are electronic now and the cost to have paper copies is high enough that most law firms now have very small libraries - if they have one at all. I also have a tablet that I use for Kindle/Nook/Google/Overdrive books and I really like the convenience of having books always available with me in a small package.

I am afraid the whole market for paper books is going to slowly disappear.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Copeland View Post
    So would the rewrite be called Fahrenheit 2,577?
    Maybe "Wait, what happened to that book?"

Blog Entries

That is really interesting. I thought there might be a shift to subscription based books.

I never thought I would use e-books, but almost all legal research materials are electronic now and the cost to have paper copies is high enough that most law firms now have very small libraries - if they have one at all. I also have a tablet that I use for Kindle/Nook/Google/Overdrive books and I really like the convenience of having books always available with me in a small package.

I am afraid the whole market for paper books is going to slowly disappear.
    I hadn't planned to get a Kindle but got a mysterious coupon that dropped the price of the bottom-tier model to $9. Since getting it, I've become a fan of library e-books for leisure reading - especially for long books and travel. However, if I'm going to pay for a book I still prefer print because I am a fan of passing along books to other people, which you're not allowed to do with most e-books. And while I'm a fan and user of public library e-books, I do worry about adding a technology barrier to reading. Some places actually lend out e-readers/tablets as well as the books themselves.

Of course, the book was new technology at one time...

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

However, if I'm going to pay for a book I still prefer print because I am a fan of passing along books to other people, which you're not allowed to do with most e-books. And while I'm a fan and user of public library e-books, I do worry about adding a technology barrier to reading. Some places actually lend out e-readers/tablets as well as the books themselves.

Of course, the book was new technology at one time...
    That video is great.

My problem with print books is finding someone to take them when I'm finished. There is a certain peace in finishing a book and having it stored only on my tablet. My bookshelves are all full and it's nice to not be concerned about storage or disposal.

Blog Entries

My problem with print books is finding someone to take them when I'm finished. There is a certain peace in finishing a book and having it stored only on my tablet. My bookshelves are all full and it's nice to not be concerned about storage or disposal.
    We are just about to downsize for the second time in the last few years. I dropped off over 200 books at the library a couple weeks ago. They have an annual book sale to raise funds to cover some of their expenses.

Blog Entries

I think the days are numbered for print media in any format. It's simply the march of technology. We don't pine for the days of things written on stone tablets, after all!

Blog Entries

I'm midway through The Warmth of Other Suns, an account of the Great Migration of African Americans out of the South during the early- and mid-twentieth century. I'm an Old White Guy, so I never knew any of this. I highly recommend this book.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
    I'm midway through The Warmth of Other Suns, an account of the Great Migration of African Americans out of the South during the early- and mid-twentieth century. I'm an Old White Guy, so I never knew any of this. I highly recommend this book.
    Seconded (well, except for the Old White Guy thing ). It is excellent and very readable. I got it as a library ebook.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234