Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Read any good books lately?

Re: Read any good books lately?

Currently reading Unbroken and it's amazing. I'd heard rave reviews about it before and kept putting it off. I saw a trailer for the movie that they're making for it and decided I have to read the book before the movie comes out. I can't believe I waited so long. Incredible, action-packed, and inspiring story. Definitely recommend to readers of all genres.

Blog Entries

I've been hearing a lot about it too and just picked it up yesterday. Looking forward to diving into it.
    "If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to meet it." - Jonathan Winters, actor and comedian

Blog Entries

OMG thanks for the Unbroken recommendation. Holy cow that was a fantastic book and the fact that he survived is just a true testament to the human spirit. I devoured it in no time at all.
    "If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to meet it." - Jonathan Winters, actor and comedian

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

The Quickie by James Patterson (or the James Patterson consortium)

Blog Entries

I'm reading "One Summer: America 1927" by Bill Bryson. If you're a fan of his other work you'd probably like this, too. I'm enjoying it!

Participating Member
    Blog Entries

I'm currently reading "This is the Water" by Yannick Murphy. It's a murder mystery set in the world of competitive swimming. Kind of an annoying narrative style, but the details about swimming are spot-on and hilarious. 3/5 stars so far. It's a fun read, but I'm glad I could borrow it as an e-book from the local library system and didn't actually pay money for it.

I read Laura Hillenbrand's Seabiscuit multiple times. She's a superb writer. The reviews of Unbroken did not draw me to the content (though I have read, and read, ample World War II and later war historical fiction and nonfiction).
    Recent reading is Beyond the Sand Creek Bridge, historical fiction that puts a human face to the Chinese laborers who built part of the western rail system (specifically that around Sandpoint, ID). A murder becomes the focal point; the defense must build a case that will stir a jury toward fairness; the main characters in the drama simultaneously must work their individual paths toward a decision to honor the ancestral ways or stride into the unknown as part of the permanent emigration to U.S. It's slightly overwritten but proved good for a long plane ride.
    A shoutout for beautiful Lake Pend Oreille and the Cabinet Mountains!

Blog Entries

I finished "The Martian" by Andy Weir a week or two ago. It's not going to win any writing awards, but it's a fast-paced and fun read. Right now I'm reading "The Emerald Mile" by Kevin Fedarko. It's great. Rather than try to explain it I'll just point you to the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ALYY6W8?btkr=1

I just finished Lone Survivor by Marcus Lutrell. Holy crap is that intense. So much better (and crazier!) than the movie. Dude is a true hero.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy H. View Post
    I'm currently reading "This is the Water" by Yannick Murphy. It's a murder mystery set in the world of competitive swimming. Kind of an annoying narrative style, but the details about swimming are spot-on and hilarious. 3/5 stars so far. It's a fun read, but I'm glad I could borrow it as an e-book from the local library system and didn't actually pay money for it.
    "Kind of an annoying narrative style" is a very generous review!! So far have not been able to make it past the first few pages!

Participating Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    "Kind of an annoying narrative style" is a very generous review!! So far have not been able to make it past the first few pages!
    LOL, yes, I was trying to be kind. It's not a bad story if you can plow your way through it, but the second person narration is really grating. It would be a decent mystery/ thriller if told in a less affected style, IMO. It's almost worth reading, though, for one scene in which two swimming mothers compare different styles of swim suits. Again, I was glad to have been able to borrow the book from a library and didn't have to pay money for it.

I recently finished HIGH ADVENTURE by Sir Edmund Hillary (his accounts of the first successful ascent of Mt. Everest). Currently reading Bobby Orr’s book (MY STORY). Both involve water and swimming. Hillary as they swam in streams and lakes as they trekked overland to get to the base of the mountain. Orr as a boy fishing and swimming in the streams and ponds near his home in Canada during summertime since they weren’t frozen and hockey/skating wasn’t possible.

Dan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy H. View Post
    LOL, yes, I was trying to be kind. It's not a bad story if you can plow your way through it, but the second person narration is really grating. It would be a decent mystery/ thriller if told in a less affected style, IMO. It's almost worth reading, though, for one scene in which two swimming mothers compare different styles of swim suits. Again, I was glad to have been able to borrow the book from a library and didn't have to pay money for it.
    For a second I thought I'd written that paragraph!

It was one one of the "best books of 2014" lists (Publisher's Weekly, Booklist, or Library Journal) which made me scratch my head.
    "Librarians are hiding something." - Stephen Colbert

I have gone back to reading some books that I keep in the basement from my earlier years. "Fahrenheit 451 " about the title - that is when paper starts to burn.

" brave new world" by Aldous Huxley for an old book , he was really close to what he predicted.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

I'm reading The Girl With All The Gifts by M. R. Carey. I'm not finished yet but have a hard time putting it down. It's set in England after a zombie apocalypse. The zombies are fast zombies and very dangerous. There are also the non-infected pillagers (Junkers) who rob and pillage survivors.

They have discovered that the disease is caused by Ophiocordyceps unilateralis,the fungus that infects ants in the rain forest and takes control of their movements. The story surrounds the relationship between a ten year old girl who is infected but is intelligent, empathetic and sympathetic and her teacher from a military base where he girl was being studied.

If you like The Walking Dead and Warm Bodies, you will like this book

"DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF SHEEP" Kinda weird but entertaining, from the 60's by Phillip Dick - no , really.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
    "DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF SHEEP" Kinda weird but entertaining, from the 60's by Phillip Dick - no , really.

I thought its was "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep." It was the story that Blade Runner was based on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by no200fly View Post
    I thought its was "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep." It was the story that Blade Runner was based on.
    Correct. Dick certainly had a fertile (if troubled) mind.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345