Thread: Lattof YMCA Meet, 13 Jan 2013

Lattof YMCA Meet, 13 Jan 2013

Lattof YMCA Masters Swim Meet
    Nicholas M. Lattof International YMCA
    Sunday January 13, 2013

Short course yards.
    Advanced entries must be received by Jan 10th.
    Deck entries up to 7 AM of race day.
    Photos from the 2006 meet.

Meet information PDF: http://ilmsa.com/files/LattofMeet2013_0.pdf

http://ilmsa.com/competition/upcoming
    Last edited by mattson; December 28th, 2012 at 05:08 PM.

Re: Lattof YMCA Meet, 13 Jan 2013

O K this is my 1st meet of the year --- I had better start to swim MORE!!!

(bumped, to remind people the meet is this weekend)

WOW ?? What greeting we all had to Latoff ! NO PERSONAL CHAIRS ALLOWED !! I WAS TOLD THIS AS MY GREETING INTO THE BUILDING by 3 different people. I told them [sorry I was cranky at 6:45 am] I'm not going to sit on the cold ,wet tile for the next 7 hours & that I WAS going to set up my chair & use it. Most of the other swimmers that entered the meet were told the same & being polite , returned the chair to their car & proceeded to sit/sprawl/stand for the next 7 hours!! They had metal outdoor wire seating benches without back support for maybe 50 swimmers out of the ,I'm guessing, over 100 that paid to enter the meet. How does the footprint of a chair become larger than a full size adult sprawled out on the deck?? As a swimmer with 2 hip replacements might be sensitive to this issue, where did this come from? Not in the last 15 years of going to this meet has this been an issue. I would urge the Person that came up with idea to rethink it for Masters swimmers in the future or have the chance of losing swimmers- IE $$$$$$$$- because of this . NO you do not have seating on benches for all of us at this meet! Thanks to those that ran the meet for your time & effort to have this meet.

Ocra

This was my first meet at Latoff, did they allow chairs in the past? They kept saying that they had more benches this year, but still did not seem like enough. Even if they allowed chairs, there really was not a lot of deck space for them. I think they were at their limit with 160 or so swimmers.

I still had a good time, although I looked at my split time they posted today for my 100 back, :46 and :25 = 1:11, that was a great second 50 time lol, at least the total time was correct. Do you know which teams took 1st, 2nd and 3rd? or is an overall ranking posted? Since we only had 5 swimmers, I don't think we finished too high.

Quote Originally Posted by mj2345 View Post
    Ocra

This was my first meet at Latoff, did they allow chairs in the past? They kept saying that they had more benches this year, but still did not seem like enough. Even if they allowed chairs, there really was not a lot of deck space for them. I think they were at their limit with 160 or so swimmers.

I still had a good time, although I looked at my split time they posted today for my 100 back, :46 and :25 = 1:11, that was a great second 50 time lol, at least the total time was correct. Do you know which teams took 1st, 2nd and 3rd? or is an overall ranking posted? Since we only had 5 swimmers, I don't think we finished too high.
    They allowed chairs last year. That was how I ran into Ryan & Jackie and then joined the team. I was sitting on the window sill behind them at the turn end freezing my butt off. One thing led to another and we got to talking. I had tried to join the MGM team but they are/were squeezed for pool time and Ryan gave me all the info and here I am on the same team as you Mike. Don't worry about the splits in your back. If you can comeback in a 25 you obviously took it out too slow. Lol. Some timing malfunction. And if you can come back in a 25 on your 2nd50 you should be doing 47's for the 100. You are slacking off in practice. Say hi to everyone at LWN Masters.

Mark
    55-59
    Last edited by oldmodelt; January 20th, 2013 at 02:28 AM.

Elgin won the meet ! They have always allowed chairs in the past. I have not been told to the reason that this year was such a mess!

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
    Elgin won the meet ! They have always allowed chairs in the past. I have not been told to the reason that this year was such a mess!
    The no chair rule was ordered by our owner Chicago Metro due to risk assesment. We added a new set of bleachers this year to try to help and opened up our lobby for chairs. This is required for all events at Lattof's pools.

What "risk" ? Sitting on a wet ,cold floor is better for me at 66 years old ??? Adding new bleachers was nice , but not even close to provide seating for even 1/2 the entered swimmers. I hope you will ask them to rethink the rule or many swimmers I know will not sign up for this meet. No other pool has stated this rule - what gives with Lattof???

Yes, other pools do have a "no chairs on deck/in pool area" rule.
    Risk is ppl throwing chairs in pool, hitting swimmers.
    With the exception of hotel pools, I've never swum in an indoor pool that had chairs in the pool area.
    Can you invest in a folding thingy?
    And surely talking to pool management directly is worth a bit of time.

O K with chairs = fenwick - st. charles -york -elgin - northwestern unit. , wis state meet
    What Masters swimmer would throw a chair into the pool? We are not H S kids, well most of us.
    Yes, I think a bit of face to face with Lattof people is in order the teams that go to the Lattof meet before next year.