Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running - Blister Issues

Re: Running - Blister Issues

Another recommendation for Balega socks. I like the Ventilators, personally. $8 a pair, usually and worth every penny. they're also basically indestructable.

Secondly, I understand the OP is "rotating" shoes. Why? I find that shoes don't typically break in for at least a couple of hundred miles. Constantly swapping shoes seems counter-productive. In fact, the single best piece of information I ever received on running shoes is that once you find something that is comfortable and doesn't injure you, stop experimenting and stick with them. This would explain why I have a closet full of Asics Cumulus shoes.

However, take my advice with a grain of salt as I have non-conventional views on shoes. For example, I also think the "swap shoes every 300 miles" rule is completely ridiculous. Personally, I've put over 2,000 miles on pairs of shoes in the past with absolutely no issues. I generally have to throw them away because I get too many holes in the uppers, the sole is never a problem. The fact that I have a neutral stride and don't weigh very much may have some bearing here.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Hiro11, I originally was fitted by the tri-store (they did this test thing) and used those shoes for a year. I got 300-400 miles on them before they gave up the ghost.

Then I went back and bought three more identical pairs for this crazy marathon endeavor. I have been rotating those three pairs. As I get closer, I am going to pick the two best for the actual marathon (one for my feet and one for the emergency drop bag in case it is raining or something).

I am a noob and probably making some big mistakes, to be honest. But at least I solved the blister thing so my girlfriend is breathing a bit easier now. I just want it all to be over.

butt paste.....till you get better......by Boudreauxs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]www.mustangchef.com
    We came from the water, I think that's why it feels so good.

Like many have said get your shoe fitted at a running shoe store. While you are there pick up a pair or two of Wright socks. The best sock I have ever worn! And you think swimming is expensive? Just wait until you see the tag on these. Seriously they are worth the money. They require special care so ask before you leave with a pair.
    Lainey

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    Hiro11, I originally was fitted by the tri-store (they did this test thing) and used those shoes for a year. I got 300-400 miles on them before they gave up the ghost.

Then I went back and bought three more identical pairs for this crazy marathon endeavor. I have been rotating those three pairs. As I get closer, I am going to pick the two best for the actual marathon (one for my feet and one for the emergency drop bag in case it is raining or something).

I am a noob and probably making some big mistakes, to be honest. But at least I solved the blister thing so my girlfriend is breathing a bit easier now. I just want it all to be over.

Be real careful as you near race day, as you don't want to introduce anything new. I made that mistake at the Disney 1/2 last year when I wore new socks (mine were left at home) and they were kind of slippery in my shoes for the first 6 or so miles. Pack your race day bag before you leave home (assuming you'll be travelling to the race). Try GU before race day too (many marathons have it at around mile 7 & 16), you don't want to try it on race day then have a bad experience. Good luck!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone for the advice. I successfully finished my marathon with three small blisters and have now retired from anything more than a half marathon -- cause let's face it, you can fake those!

A lot of companies are making shoes that are meant to be worn without socks. I have a nice pair of sketchers that actually made running enjoyable for me. I also heard that those toe shoes are prety awesome to run in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12