Thread: Photo resizing and YouTube pix

Very Active Member jim thornton's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Photo resizing and YouTube pix

A couple questions for the inestimable Mr. Matysek, computer boy genius grown into splendid computer man-in-full genius:

* When uploading photos to our albums for subsequent posting in our blogs, it seems to me that USMS used to be able to handle re-sizing for us. Now, however, most of the time I get a message saying that my photo is too large to upload. Resizing them on my computer is a challenge since I lack the correct software and technical know how to do this. Is there some kind of thing you could put on the forums/albums that would once again automatically resize photos that we try to upload so that they aren't too big? And if not, is there some relatively easy way to do this ourselves on our own computers without getting an expensive Adobe Photoshop-style program to do it?

* Years ago, when we would link a YouTube video to the blogs or elsewhere, a thumbnail from YouTube would automatically show up so the viewer would get an idea what the movie he or she was clicking on looks like. Then this function disappeared, and now all you get is the text link itself. Anyway to restore the earlier way?

Thanks, Jim, for doing such a consistently brilliant job!

Blog Entries

Re: Photo resizing and YouTube pix

Jim M, I managed to find a pretty neat web site that allows resizing:

http://www.resizeyourimage.com/

It's possible to incorporate this into any website, the designer says. Anyhow, it might be a nice feature to add.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

USMS Membership Director Jayhawk's Avatar

I use this site to resize photos:
    http://www.webresizer.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fresnoid View Post
    I downloaded it! Now I just have to figure out how to get it to work!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
    I use this site to resize photos:
    http://www.webresizer.com/
    Here is my question for you, Anna Lea. Many of these online photo resizers are free for individual users and available for some price to commercial users.

I am not sure if USMS is considered a commercial user, what with your nonprofit status, etc. However, what would prevent you from incorporating some sort of resizing program into the usms web albums so that everytime we try to upload a picture, it would automatically resize it for us (instead of sending a message that the photo is too big)?

Is it the cost of the program? The time your dear husband would have to spend getting it integrated with USMS web albums? Something else?

I understand if doing this would be a problem, but it sure would make it easier for many of us out here to upload photos if we didn't have to resize them first to meet the USMS specifications (many of us are not all the technologically savvy and probably don't even try to resize things.)

Maybe I am crazy, but it seems to me that in the past, you did have some way of doing this automatically. It's only been recently that I keep getting messages demanding resizing!

Anyhow, something to put on the wish list for techno fixes in the future. Perhaps a stocking stuffer for this year's Christmas, when many a swimmer will no doubt get a new camera phone that lets them take high def photos that will need downsizing!

Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton View Post
    Maybe I am crazy, ...

Sorry! I just couldn’t resist such an obvious invitation

Maybe I am crazy, but it seems to me that in the past, you did have some way of doing this automatically. It's only been recently that I keep getting messages demanding resizing!
    There's always been a size limit for photos. It's currently set at 200k. I think that's where it's always been set.

I suspect that perhaps the reason you now get the warning when you didn't before may be because in the "old days," digital cameras took lower-resolution photos which resulted in smaller file sizes. With today's cameras you can take a single photo that produces a file size of several megabytes.

I've always had to resize any photos that I posted in these discussion forums.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
    There's always been a size limit for photos. It's currently set at 200k. I think that's where it's always been set.

I suspect that perhaps the reason you now get the warning when you didn't before may be because in the "old days," digital cameras took lower-resolution photos which resulted in smaller file sizes. With today's cameras you can take a single photo that produces a file size of several megabytes.

I've always had to resize any photos that I posted in these discussion forums.
    I know that you are correct about the pixilflation phenomenon with cell phones. My new Galaxy 9S-111111111111 (not available to the general public yet; still in beta testing by people like me) can take pictures of the universe that are actually higher resolution than the universe itself.

If you try to post one of these on your vlog, rumor has it that you will create a black hole.

That said, I know that Facebook and other websites do seem to have a way of auto-resizing incoming photos (you have to check a box if you want to post the high resolution image.)

In other words, I am virtually positive that there is technological Cuisinart of sorts that Jim M. could put on all incoming photos that would automatically do the resizing for us! Big photos in; smaller photos posted.

Rob Copeland may call me crazy (he better not; I will put his name in my little notebook if he does, oh yes I will, don't you doubt it!), but I say that the implementation of such software would save us individual photo poster/swimmers no end of time wasted fiddling with software that those of us in our dotage find as baffling and confusing at Caveman Lawyer found the voices coming out of a radio.

To wit:

"One giant groin-pulling leap of labor for a man named Jim Matysek...
    One tiny, incremental but appreciated mini-improvement for swimming mankind."
    --Jim "Neil Armstrong" Thornton, Nov. 27, 2012

Anna Lea, I know your husband is busy, what with his pings and his DNS Failovers for 5 A Records and the like.

But perhaps you could threaten to withholduxorial affection, if you know what I mean, till he does my bidding.

A clear win-win, don't you think?

Blog Entries

Jim, I don't do custom changes to the forum software myself - I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to actually hack the forum software myself. Style changes, text change and loading available mods created and supported by others are all fair game, time permitting. We're overdue for a major update to the next version of the software, which will be done on some upcoming weekend when I can carve out a few hours on a Sunday morning to do it. When that happens I'll look for mods that I can install that will do this. I did a quick look this morning and there seem to be a few, so I'll just need to figure which one is best. The AME extension that changes YouTube links to embedded videos may even do it. We've had that extension for a while, but it has been a bit squirrelly over the years with some features coming and going.

Anyway, I'll look at it when I get into the bowels of the forum software upgrade and the associated upgrade of the mods we have installed already, which is coming up soon. Far too much on the plate this week and maybe next to even think about it.
    I can't remember a life before Google.
    Fortunately, I can Google it.

Rob Copeland may call me crazy (he better not; I will put his name in my little notebook if he does, oh yes I will, don't you doubt it!)...
    I would never call you crazy, but if you or one of the myriad voices in your head or your talking dog should mention it, who am I to disagree?

And FYI the Resize Images option is turned on. However “If an image is larger than your maximum allowed dimensions or filesize, an attempt to resize it will be tried. This may fail if the image is too large to be successfully processed or if the image type is not supported for resizing…” Regardless of his wizardly abilities, there is really nothing Jim can do to the vBulletin software to get around this.

Edit – I see Jim’s post beat mine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matysekj View Post
    Anyway, I'll look at it when I get into the bowels of the forum software upgrade.
    Oh, God! Does Anna Lea know how you spend your free time?

On another note, would you be willing to film this and give me the rights to put it up on my new not-always-but-occasionally-swimming-related blog, http://byjimthornton.com/2012/11/27/...twins-podcast/ ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Copeland View Post
    Regardless of his wizardly abilities, there is really nothing Jim can do to the vBulletin software to get around this.
    Now who's the crazy one, eh, Mr. Copeland!

There is nothing our Jim M. can't do when he gets deep into the bowels of a software upgrade! He will make vBulletin his bitch, of that I am certain we can all confidently rely.

Blog Entries

Master James - I just tested auto-resizing of uploaded images and auto-embedding of youtube videos with the new software and they both worked for me. Enjoy
    I can't remember a life before Google.
    Fortunately, I can Google it.

Quote Originally Posted by matysekj View Post
    Master James - I just tested auto-resizing of uploaded images and auto-embedding of youtube videos with the new software and they both worked for me. Enjoy
    Now we shall see if they will work for a Luddite like Master James

Blog Entries

I haven't had any luck getting a pic to post to my forum profile, dangit. I've tried several that were all small enough both in pixels and size, but they just don't show up. I'm frustrated. Any suggestions?
    "If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to meet it." - Jonathan Winters, actor and comedian

Quote Originally Posted by flystorms View Post
    I haven't had any luck getting a pic to post to my forum profile, dangit. I've tried several that were all small enough both in pixels and size, but they just don't show up. I'm frustrated. Any suggestions?
    Are you getting an error messages when you try to upload the photo?
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine and not those of U.S. Masters Swimming.

Blog Entries

No error message. The pic even shows up when on my editing page when it's uploaded. It just doesn't show up in these forum threads. I've tried several pictures (and from 2 different PC/laptops) hoping one would stick, but nothing. Ideas? I've also checked the security and it's set to allow everyone to see so I don't think it's security either.
    "If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to meet it." - Jonathan Winters, actor and comedian

Quote Originally Posted by flystorms View Post
    No error message. The pic even shows up when on my editing page when it's uploaded. It just doesn't show up in these forum threads. I've tried several pictures (and from 2 different PC/laptops) hoping one would stick, but nothing. Ideas? I've also checked the security and it's set to allow everyone to see so I don't think it's security either.
    flystorms,

I checked your account. There are three types of photos that you can tie to your account:
    1) Avatar
    2) Profile picture
    3) Signature picture

The only one of the three that I see uploaded is #2, the Profile picture.

Are you sure you uploaded an Avatar and not a Profile picture? (The photo I see is you, standing on a beach with #338 on your arm).

Here is some information from the Forums help section (click FAQ in the red bar at the top of any forums page)
    http://forums.usms.org/faq.php?faq=v...atures_avatars

What are avatars?

Avatars are small images that people use to identify or distinguish themselves to other forum members. In some cases the administrator will not allow avatars or only allow them for specific members. The administrator can also provide some stock avatars people can use, or they can allow members to upload their own custom avatars from their own computers. These avatars will be displayed as part of the user info in posts, as well as in the public profile.

What are profile pictures?

Profile Pictures are photos members can upload that will display in their public member profile. This option may or may not be enabled by the administrator.

How do I set signatures, avatars and profile pictures?

You can set and change your signature, avatar and profile picture in the User Control Panel (providing the administrator has made these options available).

For signatures, click on 'Edit Signature' under the 'Settings and Options' area of the navigation bar within the User CP.

To select an existing or upload a new avatar, click on 'Edit Avatar'.

To upload a profile picture, click on 'Edit Profile Picture' in the 'Your Profile' section.

flystorms,

Here is a link to your forum profile, which is where your "Profile Picture" is displayed:

http://forums.usms.org/member.php?34869-flystorms

I suspect that you are trying to post an Avatar (like my current KC Chiefs avatar).

Anna Lea