Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Armstrong and USMS - Swimming world article

Re: Armstrong and USMS - Swimming world article

Quote Originally Posted by aguins View Post
    The posting with the history of the ASA is from Philip Arcuni, February 4th, 2002
    I met Keith Bell at my very first Masters meet in 1974.I thought he was a nice guy and a really good swimmer.I don't know why he/they got upset with USMS.I was in Oregon by the founding and so we didn't have local meets together.When I read about ASA it seemed silly,simplify the stroke rules to the point of meaninglessness and have WRs for every year(41 is a different age group from 42 etc.) and have WRs held by people whose main qualification is to be within driving distance of Austin.I think their banning Lance Armstrong is the most publicity they have ever gotten.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

If I remember correctly one of the things the Bells wanted their new swim organization to do was to have each age be it's own age group. So instead of a 45 - 49 age group, there would be an age group for 45, one for 46, one for 47 etc. At least that's what I recall.

[QUOTE=Allen Stark;280772]When I read about ASA it seemed silly,simplify the stroke rules to the point of meaninglessness and have WRs for every year(41 is a different age group from 42 etc.) and have WRs held by people whose main qualification is to be within driving distance of Austin.I think their banning Lance Armstrong is the most publicity they have ever gotten.[QUOTE]

I just finished reading the information posted on their website and came to the same conclusion- before reading your post. Their "rules" don't work for me. And, looking over their event calendar, it's all about Texas. I thought they were called the "American Swimming Association".
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gull View Post
    Right. But then Lance enters the meet and, once again, becomes the center of attention.
    True, but that's not really Lance's fault. People can choose to ignore him.

It almost seems trendy at this point to strip Armstrong of anything he's won. I don't defend him in any way, shape or form but I also see no reason to ban the man from future competition in something like masters swimming.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If I remember correctly one of the things the Bells wanted their new swim organization to do was to have each age be it's own age group. So instead of a 45 - 49 age group, there would be an age group for 45, one for 46, one for 47 etc. At least that's what I recall.
    Following ASA's rules I guess I am the WR holder of the Men's 100 yard one arm Butterfly. Either arm, it really doesn't matter. I set it last year when I was 55. And did it again yesterday in a sanctioned practice (against myself) when I was 56. So I guess I'm a repeat winner. Move over Micheal, Rebecca et al.

I'd like to thank the Academy, my parents and all the little people I had to swim over/through/around in order to win this honor.

Quote Originally Posted by debaru View Post
    If he can be believed, Lance did say in the interview that he hasn't doped since 2005, which was long before he started participating in sanctioned swimming events.
    Now here is a shocker. It appears that he may have lied in the interview. Apparently there is evidence that he was blood doping in 2009.

Participating Member

Now here is a shocker. It appears that he may have lied in the interview. Apparently there is evidence that he was blood doping in 2009.
    Wow!!! I am shocked, a man who would lie would lie again. He really is just a disgrace.

Blog Entries

He probably has been doping off and on for 20 yrs. He needs a 12 step program

This is pretty funny: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21115720
    Hopefully the student librarian doesn't get in trouble.

Right. But then Lance enters the meet and, once again, becomes the center of attention. As one of our local DJ's suggested this morning, if he wants to compete again he should buy an X Box and play Halo.
    Wow did Lance pee in your Wheaties or something?

Really? You got a source for that? Other than some guy in WADA saying his bilogical passport looked suspect?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith View Post
    This guy sounds like another disenfranchised breaststroker (as all breaststrokers are)...probably swam some rec. league growing up and failed in his attempted comeback in this "charade" of a sport by getting his ass kicked by a triathlete.
    Gosh.. you got me. I won the 8&U 25y breast in the Podunk, USA country club championship and couldn't believe USMS meets were so serious as to not even hold the 25. I mean WTH. And I had to deal with obnoxious backstrokers running into me during wam-ups and relentless wrist-watching of the triathletes on every open turn. And their goggles. Wow. Is that a facemask? Are you going snorkeling?

Quote Originally Posted by gdanner View Post
    A quick glance of their rules...one hand touches on turns are legal in fly and breast.
    We can probably all agree on this.. The ASA is a complete farce.

Maybe I had a couple bad experiences with a-hole Masters swimmers at meets. It sounds like I'm the exception. Which is a good thing. Another good thing would be allowing Lance to compete in Masters. He hasn't done anything wrong against USMS rules, and probably won't be going forward no matter what rules they enact. Or USMS can follow suit and make 2013 the official "S--- on Lance" Year. I don't think that'd be helping anyone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    ... USMS can follow suit and make 2013 the official "S--- on Lance" Year.
    Right, because he didn't do anything to deserve the lawsuits, lifetime ban, or being stripped of the titles. I guess anyone that purposely attempts to ruin lives by a goon squad tactics doesn't deserve to be crapped on.

Participating Member

Maybe he admitted to things that were past the statutes of limitations and not a breach of a promise he made to his ex wife Kristin when he asked for her permission to begin his comeback.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

Yes, but I'm 59 AND THREE QUARTERS.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234