Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Workout Jammer vs Race Jammer?

Re: Workout Jammer vs Race Jammer?

Quote Originally Posted by sok454 View Post
    Good to know that they will run a bit small. And my asst. is wondering why I have such a grin on my face... you emoticons are awesome.
    Jim gets all the credit; he put them in the Smiley menu! Click on the smile icon above to see some of your choices. If you click on "More", all sorts of goodies pop up. These are my favorites:
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by Mariano Mercado View Post
    Have u had any experience with the #9102?
    Sorry I haven't.

Try wearing a Nike Python II.

It fits super tight and really irritates your legs.
    You will definitely swim faster because you can't wait for the race to be over and you can take it off.

D2

Almost all the guys wear jammers at practice. I still like [old school] bikini speedos. OOHH ! get over it - us guys do have something in them, we were born with it!

Blog Entries

Go easy on the guys wearing Jammers. I wear a Jammer once in a great while. 99% of the time its a swim brief. If I do wear a Jammer its a nighttime swim at an outdoor pool, or a regular swim at an indoor pool. I can do without the Hank Hill tan lines. Jammers have probably brought a lot of men, and boys, into the pool who would other wise not get anywhere near a pool if a swim brief was there only option, aside from board shorts.

Lets not forget some men who wear boardshorts to a pool, the slip them off while they swim in their swim brief. Then slip the boardshorts back on again before they get out of the pool. Those guys are hilarious. Even a few Lifeguards I know do this. It makes me laugh every time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    I have no idea why I even read this thread, but may I add my ? I bought my ladies Yingfa here: http://www.swimdownhill.com

George provides excellent service and several other Forumites have been happy with him, as well.
    Mr. Park is great to shop with and very helpful in determining the best fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbosback View Post
    I wear a 32 or 34 Endurance and I get the XL (30-32).
    I wear a 34 and, with some effort, can squeeze into the L. I'm planning on buying a 9402 (like the color choices).
    ..<))><

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem View Post
    Mr. Park is great to shop with and very helpful in determining the best fit.

I wear a 34 and, with some effort, can squeeze into the L. I'm planning on buying a 9402 (like the color choices).

Wow. I'd have no chance of that!

In case anybody is wondering about the Yingfa jammers, I emailed customer service and they said their #9402 is their newest and best model for competition.

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    People who wear jammers at practice are weird.
    Then call me weird.
    I wear 2 old jammers that have worn out almost in different places. One of them, the oldest stretches down almost to my calves. Why pay for a dragsuit(s)? When one or both fail. I just replace with another oldsuit. They operate like one of those parachute gizmos that the swimshops sell. Then when I put on the “race” suit it feels like nothing. Which it is.

Quote Originally Posted by sok454 View Post
    Just thought I'd revive... everyone figure out their Nationals suits?
    I seem to be the outlier on this thread, as I have no problems rationalizing dropping big bucks on a Nats suit, since it'll become my regular meet suit after Nats until I get a Nats suit next year and repeat the cycle.

I ordered the Arena Powerskin Carbon Pro White Hot special edition jammer on 3/22. With a discount code and a leftover $75 gift card from Christmas, I got it for $285. Well, I say that's what I paid for it...but I haven't received a confirmation email yet and it hasn't cleared my bank account...

Over the approximate 12 meets I'll wear the suit at until I buy a new suit next year, that comes out to ~$25 a meet.

I haven't had any experience with Arena, as I've been a Speedo man for as long as I've bought tech suits--first Aquablade and then the FS and FSII when they came out. I'm pumped to try it out! Heh, it'll be easy to spot me at meets, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sive View Post
    Go easy on the guys wearing Jammers. I wear a Jammer once in a great while. 99% of the time its a swim brief. If I do wear a Jammer its a nighttime swim at an outdoor pool, or a regular swim at an indoor pool. I can do without the Hank Hill tan lines. Jammers have probably brought a lot of men, and boys, into the pool who would other wise not get anywhere near a pool if a swim brief was there only option, aside from board shorts.

Lets not forget some men who wear boardshorts to a pool, the slip them off while they swim in their swim brief. Then slip the boardshorts back on again before they get out of the pool. Those guys are hilarious. Even a few Lifeguards I know do this. It makes me laugh every time.
    You hit the nail right on the head!!!

The whole jammer idea is really about the "Speedophobia" trend in the early 90s (and purportedly to avoid embarrassment) - and not about swimming faster. BTW, jammers really accentuate that embarassing "male anatomy" more than briefs. Just take a look in a full length mirror and you'll see what I'm talking about!!!

D2

So I just got my Yinga 9402 in the mail. Fabric looks thick and nothing like other competition suits I've worn but I will give it a try next weekend at some of the events I'm not too fond of. I'll have a more complete review of the suit after that weekend.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mariano Mercado View Post
    So I just got my Yinga 9402 in the mail.
    Me, too! I ordered from swimdownhill late on Monday and the new suit arrived on Thursday. Got the size L again, and after about two minutes of struggle was able to tie it on. Boy, I need to drop some weight! haha
    ..<))><

Blog Entries

I also have a Yingfa jammer that I wear for meets, but it is probably time for a new one. The first time I wore it, I think it took at least 5 min to put on. And it never seemed to go up that high in the back... But the last time I wore it, it slipped right on.
    I've also ordered from George. I think we exchanged a few PM's to get the sizing correct. If I remember correctly, I got a M.
    Anyway, I tried on the suit at home after I got it. I swam the 1500m in a brief then went into the locker room to change into the jammer. I dove in for the 100m free having never worn it in the water, and felt like I was swimming on/above the water.

For normal workouts, I either wear just a brief or a brief with a dragsuit over it. If I go with the dragsuit combo, and we do fast swims, I'll sometimes take off the dragsuit for the last repeat or 2 just to see + feel the difference it makes.
    And I also agree on the vanity sizing thing. Not just with swimsuits, but with most slacks. I ordered a size 28 in the USMS-Nike GTD suit (a brief), and it fits perfectly. If I didn't bike and have big thighs, I'd probably fit in a small jammer too...
    One of the men's magazines (either Details or Esquire) did a story on vanity sizing a few months ago...what some stores sell as a 36 waist can be as large as a real 42!
    Check out my blog here
    "You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123