Thread: New Training strategy...thoughts????

New Training strategy...thoughts????

I've been very consistant with my training since last August, trying to make a big push for Spring Nationals in Indy. I've been swimming 4-5 nights a week 3-3500 yards a practice. Also been doing Crossfit workouts in the AM 3-4 days a week with one of those days working on Olympic lifts. With the Crossfit I have seen a marked improvement in my leg strength especially in the pushoffs from the wall. Lately I've been dealing with a little pain in my shoulders...nothing accute and not any pain through range of motion..more like a dull achy feeling. I've taken care of it with Advil and deep tissue massage every 2-3 weeks so its managed and not getting worse. I decided 2 weeks ago to stop doing straight up swim workouts 5 nites a week and instead alternate between regular swim workouts and just dedicated kick workouts. When i do the kick workouts I still do a solid warmup and the workout is 2-2500 yards of kick sets. i move into the slower lanes of my Masters Group to accomplish this. I seems to be helping with the pain and my kick is already improving big time. Has anyone else tried to do this type of training split???

Very Active Member

Re: New Training strategy...thoughts????

What events do you do?

I had a massage this weekend and man I felt great getting back into the pool last night.

Are you swimming state up there? I plan on coming up!

If you are experiencing shoulder pain, I suggest seeing a trained professional (PT, MD, etc.) for an evaluation.

Personally, I think you should re-evaluation the CrossFit training, as it may improve strength and decrease Body Fat %, but it may have increased your injury risk (cf. http://centerofoptimalrestoration.co...ore-stability/).

If performing CrossFit, you must ask yourself, is it worth the heightened injury risk and does it translate to swimming?

As far as kicking, if you have shoulder pain, discontinue using a board and consider this protocol (cf. http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...tary/29211.asp).

My events are 50's and 100 freestyle and butterfly with IM sprinkled in for flavor. I've also been know to do a 200free here and there but I split it very poorly. I tell you since I started getting a DEEP TISSUE massages on a regular basis it has really helped with recovery and injury. I'm only 35 but I'm still prone to joint issues and muscle pulls. The guy I work with at Crossfit has been helping me develop my Olympic lifts particularly the power clean/squat clean movements. If you get a chance watch a few videos of this movement and watch how close it is to the movement you make off a start and turns when straightening out.

I'll be swimming state but only on that sunday and only 2-3 events. Gotta get ready for Nationals

Very Active Member

Same age group here. What are you times? I just started swimming in January after a 27 yr lay off!

http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/indre...wimmerID=06CWW

I struggled this year a little. For 50free I'm anywhere from 24.5 to 25.5 in season but the last 2 years my taper has been good and I've gone 23.4 and 23.9. When I was 33 I struggled to break 56.0 in the hundred but had a monster taper and went 52.1. Maybe would have gone faster since my first 50 was 24.4 but I pulled a quad on the last turn and limped in. Been chasing that ever since. Pretty certain that with the work I've put in and the extra speed work with power wieghts I can taper to a low 51.0 100 free this year..maybe even faster

Very Active Member

Dude I remember your name from the IWU meet 3/7. I swam there too. First meet I e ever done! Nice to meet u!

Blog Entries

I think you're putting in a lot of yardage on those shoulders if you are just training for 50s and 100s; putting in the 3500-yard workout every other day and alternating with days focused on kick sounds like a better idea. You might give the routine a couple of weeks and see if that doesn't give your shoulder joints enough recovery. I went through something similar not long ago and went back to the old hard day-easy day routine. Not wanting to lose too much fitness I increased the percentage of yards in kick and drill on my EZ days rather than reduce the total yardage by that much (I was working on long and middle-distance though), but it was enough a break on the shoulders to get them feeling semi-normal again. The whole hard day-easy day concept really works for me. Just be careful you don't exchange your shoulder problems for knee and hip issues!

Also, I would definitely scale back on the lifting in the weeks leading up to your goal event.
    Last edited by mcnair; March 21st, 2013 at 01:32 AM.