Thread: Your fav dryland routines

Your fav dryland routines

I wanted to see about mixing up my gym days a bit so feel free to drop some nuggets. I do the Davies Ten shoulder routine for overhead sport athletes and it's served me well for a long time, but have been quite negligent of directly attacking my core and legs. That's what I'm mainly looking for here....some low back friendly core and leg routines that allow me to keep my posterior chain engaged with good back support. Thanks all....

Re: Your fav dryland routines

My training partner and I do a lot of the exercises contained in this NC State Dryland video. Hope it helps!

my favorite dryland routine?

really, I wish I was organized enough to add some dryland stuff into my routine, but it's hard enough to get to the pool a lot of the time. usually, if I do something other than swimming, it's running. I do try to bust out a few push-ups and sit-ups now and then with the kids though.
    ~Megan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mlabresh View Post
    my favorite dryland routine?
    You gotta give yourself more dryland street cred. That's not sleeping, that's yoga (http://yoga.about.com/od/yogaposes/a/savasana.htm).
    Follow my blog http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=5013
    Twitter @BrundageSwims

I swim m - w - sun with the team . On tue - thur - fri, I swim 2,000 + 65 mins. on the spin cycle + 20 mins. wts + 400 crunches + 2,000 yds. on the rowing machine + walk 2 laps between each phase.

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    You gotta give yourself more dryland street cred. That's not sleeping, that's yoga (http://yoga.about.com/od/yogaposes/a/savasana.htm).
    corpse pose!

yesssssss.
    ~Megan

Blog Entries

That's the most challenging pose of all

Very Active Member

For the last two years I've been using stretch-cord exercises three times a week for my drylands and I supplement them with some leg work in the weight room twice a week. I also use this routine with my middle-school and high school swimmers. They're easy, inexpensive and safe. Coach T

Quote Originally Posted by tomtopo View Post
    For the last two years I've been using stretch-cord exercises three times a week for my drylands and I supplement them with some leg work in the weight room twice a week. I also use this routine with my middle-school and high school swimmers. They're easy, inexpensive and safe. Coach T
    I had two of them, both broken. Perhaps I used to much force on them.

Blog Entries

Two recent additions to my dryland routine are stretch cords and plyos:

Stretch Cords
    Seem to act differently than weights, and there's a bonus with freedom to try plenty of movements. Also works stability groups in joints. The type of muscle fibers required I haven't figured out, but like gravity resistance, it's probably related to load and the speed of the movement. Anyhow, it feels different than moving mass around, and provides a nice alternative or compliment to weights. Sometimes I add a few cords in various places of weight machines (and free weights) in addition to the weight for an added effect near the end of the movement.
    Plyometrics
    Depth Jumps: Hopping from a 10 - 30" platform and rebounding with a jump within a fraction of a second from landing. The land loads the muscles and tendons, which is the preload for the jump. I find a location with a series of platforms at various heights (bleachers) and use static objects forward of view to gauge jump height, like a baseball field fence about 20' away and a building much further back. I place a mark on the fence at achieved peak heights. The goal is to start from a low platform and gradually increase the depth of jump in relation to achieved vertical increases. People usually stare at the strange exercise. If asked, I tell them I'm catching insects.

This helps my race starts, which is most of the race in a 50

I also made up the plyometric pushup: It's just a old school "girls pushup" (aft supported from the knees instead of feet), but start by kneeling upright. While keeping things straight, you land and quickly bounce, with a push, back to vertical. Seems to work better with a tethered stretch cord pulling you back up. This exercise is done at home for obvious reasons.

Hoping this will help upper body speed.

Very Active Member

MY fav dryland is:

i have a special spoon.
    and a special bowl.

then i get either BlueBell Mocha Almond Fudge or Chocolate Mooo-linium or Carmel Sunday Crunch and put in a few scoops.

then my right arm gets a workout lifting it all to my mouth while my left arm gets a workout holding it tight.

not saying its the "best" dry land workout, but i doubt someone will post a better one!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunruh View Post
    MY fav dryland is:

i have a special spoon.
    and a special bowl.

then i get either BlueBell Mocha Almond Fudge or Chocolate Mooo-linium or Carmel Sunday Crunch and put in a few scoops.

then my right arm gets a workout lifting it all to my mouth while my left arm gets a workout holding it tight.

not saying its the "best" dry land workout, but i doubt someone will post a better one!
    Blue Bell Tiramisu is also worthy of such a regimen, IMO. It's hard to find which somehow makes it even better.
    "Librarians are hiding something." - Stephen Colbert

Back is faster than Fly poolraat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My fave is lifting 12 oz weights at The Stray Dog. I do this training session about once a week, usually on Fridays after work. I start with the right hand then switch to the left as the right tires.
    I have entered the snapdragon stage of my life (Part of me has snapped and the rest of me is draggin ).

My latest dryland shoulder exercise is to hang from a pullup-bar and retract my scapula. It's NOT doing a pullup - it works scapular stabilizers. Initially I could hold it for about ten seconds; now I'm at 30. I also do single-arm side planks.

Very Active Member

We took the kids to the SkyZone trampoline park this past weekend... let me tell you...90 minutes of jumping around is a great core/leg workout... I'm sore 2 days later... probably not the best thing since I'm swimming state this weekend!