Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So Why is Indy a Small Showing?

Re: So Why is Indy a Small Showing?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson View Post
    I loved Clovis nationals, it was lightly attended but it was outdoors with nice weather and there was an insane amount of space for warmups. Often I had a lane to myself for pre-event warmups and could do some good pace work. Even the pre-meet warmups weren't too crowded since there was something like 40 SC lanes available.

People who DO go to Indy this nationals are probably in for a similar treat; enjoy.
    Clovis was my favorite SCY Nats.It was so great to have all the warmup I wanted and the weather was great.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar

Clovis was my first, and so far, only, USMS Nats. Plenty of warm up and cool down space, even with Genadijus occupying a lane or two with his swim metrics testing. This was also the meet where FloSwimming videotaped every heat of every event.
    I love the smell of neoprene in the morning!

-Dave Stark

Blog Entries

I agree with the posts about locals driving attendance (generally), but the Arizona meets (unless you consider Southern Pacific "local") don't seem to match that trend. I wonder how much the 'vacation' / locale attractiveness drive attendance?

If I think back to my reasons for going to Clovis, for example, it was primarily to vacation in Yosemite.

The other interesting thing I note in the list is that, with all the swimming prowess at the USA swimming level in the mid-Atlantic, we have had no SCY Nationals in the DC to NYC area. I know there have been LCM nats in Baltimore and Rutgers, but wonder why an NYC area team/pool has never bid on an SCY Nationals? I imagine the Greensboro 'relative proximity' to the mid-Atlantic and northeast also drove those numbers higher.

Looking ahead to 2014, we have LCM Nationals back in the Mid-Atlantic, but they'll be 'competing' with Worlds in Montreal. I imagine Maryland Nationals will be more lightly attended, but Santa Clara for SCY should be large again (despite the pool being shallow and dated, IMHO ... storied and famous and I'll still be there, but there are better choices of pools in the SF area).
    Follow my blog http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=5013
    Twitter @BrundageSwims

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fresnoid View Post
    Same is true about the Clovis meet (1582).
    Loved the Clovis meet! I just thought Indy would be huge due to the Midwest location. Also thought everyone should love that pool as much as I do! And lastly, I was sure he 6th event would be dropped and now regretting my choices.

Very Active Member

Forgot to mention the amazing Gold Medal Sponsor spread at Clovis. One of the best!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    Clovis was my favorite SCY Nats.It was so great to have all the warmup I wanted and the weather was great.
    That's the only Nationals I've been to. Clovis North is ten minutes away. Sadly we will never be able to have a short course nationals there again. In 09, the newly opened Clovis North only had freshmen and sophomores. Now it's a fully attended school and the district would never allow an event that size that is partially on school days.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post

Looking ahead to 2014, we have LCM Nationals back in the Mid-Atlantic, but they'll be 'competing' with Worlds in Montreal.
    Not for me; I'm going to both! After Worlds, we are going to travel up to Quebec City and back to Montreal, and then fly on to Baltimore for Nationals at the University of Maryland.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

It might be the $$$ for hotels- gas & fees in this down economy. Other than that , it seems in line with other Indy meets. I'm gong, not that it makes much difference.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    The other interesting thing I note in the list is that, with all the swimming prowess at the USA swimming level in the mid-Atlantic, we have had no SCY Nationals in the DC to NYC area. I know there have been LCM nats in Baltimore and Rutgers, but wonder why an NYC area team/pool has never bid on an SCY Nationals? I imagine the Greensboro 'relative proximity' to the mid-Atlantic and northeast also drove those numbers higher.
    That area also has some great Zone meets, so maybe they don't need/want to host a national meet?

I've been to the NE SCM Zone meet twice, and I have to say that it is by far my best overall meet experience. Events have enough people that it is possible to do back-to-back and have some rest, yet you aren't stuck sitting around all day either (we wrapped up around 4-5pm). There are restaurants within 5 min walk from the pool, and if those aren't good enough you have 2 T stops about 5 min walk either direction from the pool (which also helps for getting from your hotel to pool, or like me getting from pool directly to Logan when you leave).
    From the sounds of it, the Colonies Zone puts on similar fantastic meets that attract swimmers from that region.

I've only gone to 1 nationals, and I definitely did NOT like the mosh-pit warm-up conditions (the odd thing was the ASU Rec Center pool was wide open and just a 10 min walk away from the comp pool), nor did I like sitting outside baking in the sun waiting for what seemed like hours between events, that were running very behind. It also was a bit of a PITA to go until 7-8pm.

While I do like my team's meets, and try to do them if I'm in town, it is really tough to do well in multiple events when so few swimmers show up. They're more like timed workouts than meets; with the advantage you can show up at 7am and be home by 11am.

For me, it is more like a Goldilocks scenario...some are too big (and/or inconvenient where I'd need a car), some are too small, and others are just right
    Check out my blog here
    "You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12