Thread: Shoulder injury

Participating Member

Shoulder injury

Help, I dislocated my shoulder about a week ago and am stuck in a sling for another two weeks. How soon will it take before I can get back in the water? If anyone has suggestions, tips, etc it would be appreciated. Thanks..

Very Active Member

Re: Shoulder injury

what does your dr. say?

Participating Member

I will have to rehab it first, but he has not given me a time table yet..

When I dislocated my shoulder a few years ago I got back in the water after 2 weeks kicking with my arms to my side with snorkel and being very careful about turns.Soon I was stroking with my good arm.It was about 6 wks before I was doing light sculling with my hurt arm.I don't remember how long it was before I could do real swimming with that arm,but go slowly and do what your Dr. and Physical Therapist recommend.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Participating Member

Thanks for the info Allen..

Blog Entries

Dislocated my shoulder first time in a mountain bike crash. It healed. Dislocated it again a year later doing the same thing. For the next decade it dislocated constantly, in my sleep, grabbing a mango from a tree, swimming (before I was actually a swimmer), it popped fully out of socket more times than I can remember, it was a real problem. I would also reset it myself. When I started lifting weights and doing stability exercises the dislocations stopped but I also became very cautious with any activity. When I started swimming I was very cautious at first and had a few close calls, but stability exercises and flexibility have been a success.

Good luck, do not let it dislocate a second time! Get back in to swimming very slowly.

Participating Member

Thanks Steve for the info.. This is actually the second time it has happened to this shoulder (I too wrecked my mtn. bike about 12 years ago).

Very Active Member

my left shoulder has been seriously dislocated in a motorcycle crash during a race. it was so far up and out of socket my wife thought it was a goiter growing out of my neck. i pushed it back into place myself. this was the same accident that broke my left femur in 3 places and eventually resulted in 2 scopes of my left knee ('99 and '01). but that is my GOOD shoulder!

the bad right shoulder (bad shoulder bad bad) has felt a lot different with the moose snot injection these last 11 days. far from perfect but much better.

looking at the indy psyche sheet is so depressing

Blog Entries

You are lucky your tissues didn't tear too severely with a deformation at that degree
    Quote Originally Posted by sunruh View Post
    i pushed it back into place myself.
    Sometimes getting it back in socket causes more damage than the dislocation. The second time was the last event I went to a hospital to have it done. You sit around and wait for hours, x-rays, medication effect and paperwork before it is actually reset. Then the bill comes. After a dozen times of doing it yourself you get competent with the process, but I hope I never have to reset it again.

Blog Entries

After my initial dislocation my Dr told me 6 weeks before easing back into the pool, but you could probably start kicking sooner. Watch out for any 'clicks' you might now have and any circulation issues (pins and needles)....don't push it! Now is the time to start a hardcore PT/strengthening program if you want to continue to swim with minimal issues. Make sure your stroke technique is legit. I was told that once you dislocate a second time, the chances that you will continue to do so are 99%. Looks like Steve may be in the lucky 1%! I actually had the surgery 5.5 months ago because I was sick and tired of my shoulder popping out all the time for stupid reasons (like putting on a shirt, sneezing, etc.). Despite multiple rounds of PT it kept popping out 2-3 times per year and it just became a cycle of injury that was really interfering with my swimming, lol. On the mend now and if things pan out the way they should then it shouldn't pop out again (unless I fall on it again or do something else traumatic to it).

I would also get an MRI and find out exactly what the damage is at this point. Good luck!
    Last edited by swimslick; April 15th, 2013 at 12:26 PM.

Participating Member

I met with the Dr. for the second time this past week and he seemed pleased with my progress so far (and does not feel that I will require surgery at this time). Our health insurance stinks, so I doubt that I will be able to have an MRI done on my shoulder-thanks for the advise though. I am very lucky because the Physical Therapist that I am seeing was recommended to me and knows how important swimming is to me (he is married to one of my old teammates). I started kicking this past week so hopefully I won't too far behind when I return the water.

Blog Entries

Just don't let it dislocate a second time or you may have a permanently screwed up shoulder.