Thread: Sweat rates in and out of water

Sweat rates in and out of water

I have always been a profuse sweater and during the summer months I take in ~ 60 oz of water during a 90 minute longer session. Even in the winter with water temps in the 77ish range I sweat like a beast. For an equivalent level of exertion out of water I don't need nearly as much water.

Any of my fellow smart peeps here know of any science behind why? I don't think I'm the Lone Ranger here as I know a lot of folks who experience the same thing, but one thing I'm continually shocked at is how few people have any drinking water with them at all for a swim!

Blog Entries

Re: Sweat rates in and out of water

It doesn't make much sense to me. I don't think your body really "knows" it's in the water. You start sweating when your core temperature exceeds a certain point. It seems to me that swimming in cool water would help maintain your core temperature much better than the evaporative cooling that sweating provides in air. Basically sweating in the water isn't doing you any good whatsoever, but I don't think your body knows this. It just starts sweating when you heat up.

edit: just found this which really doesn't help a whole lot, but I did find this funny:
    In fact one study found after training the researchers found the male swimmers lost 0.21 pounds, but women gained 0.02 pounds. These researchers believed excessive fluid consumption lead to increased weight gains, but passive water absorption is more likely.
    My theory is more men pee in the pool.
    Last edited by knelson; April 15th, 2013 at 12:29 PM.

It is strange to me why I seem to dehydrate faster, but as summer approaches here I can feel it daily in my consumption. I always head to the pool having to pee, topped off my tank as it were. Come July the pool temp is approaching 90 by the late afternoon even with aerators ripping it's ridiculous. There are days when I jump in I say 'ok drills day' b/c to exert just makes me feel sick.

Interesting men & women had the opposite relation to water gain/loss.

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    It doesn't make much sense to me. I don't think your body really "knows" it's in the water. You start sweating when your core temperature exceeds a certain point. It seems to me that swimming in cool water would help maintain your core temperature much better than the evaporative cooling that sweating provides in air. Basically sweating in the water isn't doing you any good whatsoever, but I don't think your body knows this. It just starts sweating when you heat up.

edit: just found this which really doesn't help a whole lot, but I did find this funny:

My theory is more men pee in the pool.
    Agree with the final statement. Don't ask me how I know this...
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

Inland NW Top Ten & Records Chair, and Web-Dude
    www.inlandnwmasters.org