Thread: LMSC Event Result Reporting Procedures (LMSC Standards S8)

LMSC Event Result Reporting Procedures (LMSC Standards S8)

Greetings from the LMSC Development Mentoring team. As you may have read from the latest edition of Streamlines for Volunteers (March/April 2013, sent on 4/18), we are planning to use this forum to post several periodic topics related to LMSC volunteer activities. We invite you to take a moment at your convenience to review and respond with your comments/questions/concerns, and hope that sharing your thoughts will generate helpful insights for others that might benefit from relevant solutions and best practices that produce positive results.

From the 2012 LMSC Standards survey results, we found that 62% of LMSCs report that they are meeting the requirement for "All USMS sanctioned or recognized event results shall be uploaded to the online meet results section of the usms.org website within two (2) weeks of an event end date."

How does your LMSC succeed in meeting this requirement?

What challenges or obstacles have you encountered as you attempt to obtain and upload meet results?

Thank you for taking the time to participate. We value and appreciate your contributions to these conversations.

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: LMSC Event Result Reporting Procedures (LMSC Standards S

I know I try to get this done in a timely manner. THere are some folks who like to see their name in print right away after a meet, and that just isn't possible at times. Some events, especially when hand timed, or relays have to be double checked against the lane timers, because 50% of the time it seems that extra touches had been done on the electronic timing pads, and the 400 Relays end up "finishing" on the computer minutes ahead of where they should be. This can result in false records too.

My biggest challenge with getting meet results uploaded is sometimes finding enough time to sit down and go through the meet afterwards. Normal life, jobs, kids, SWIM PRACTICE, and more all get in the way, but it gets done eventually.
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

Inland NW Top Ten & Records Chair, and Web-Dude
    www.inlandnwmasters.org

USMS Membership Director Jayhawk's Avatar

"All USMS sanctioned or recognized event results shall be uploaded to the online meet results section of the usms.org website within two (2) weeks of an event end date."
    I am currently serving as the interim Top10 recorder for one LMSC, and I have filled in for others in the past. For the LMSC Top10 recorder, uploading results is a simple process and only takes a few minutes to do. That's not generally the problem.

The problem is that it is difficult to get the meet directors to send their results to the LMSC within two weeks. For example, today is June 23rd and I am still trying to obtain results from a meet that was held in early March.

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
    For the LMSC Top10 recorder, uploading results is a simple process and only takes a few minutes to do. That's not generally the problem. The problem is that it is difficult to get the meet directors to send their results to the LMSC within two weeks.
    The actual upload is a simple and fast process but there are other steps. A lot depends on how "clean" the upload file is, which in turn depends partly on whether online entry thru Club Assistant was used (since CA can pull from the Registration Database). Some meet hosts resist online entry, and the resulting results file will have more errors. That means more time spent during the Swimmer Audit portion of the process. This is particularly true if the meet host doesn't enter the USMS IDs into the meet file, or there are frequent errors in doing so. Other errors (mis-spelling of last name, missing or incorrect birthdate) can also cause problems during the audit.

Also if you are uploading a Recognized meet (like a Senior Games) with a lot of non-members, that will take longer.

In my experience, both my own and in hearing from other TTRs, getting meet results from meet directors is most often the bottleneck. Sometimes the MD needs to go thru and verify times and lanes (eg if people swam in the wrong lanes, or if the backup time does not agree with the touchpad). Sometimes the problem is providing the results in the appropriate electronic format.

Not all meet hosts use Meet Manager to run a meet, and when that is the case it can take MUCH longer to get results into the USMS database; indeed, it may never happen. Sometimes meet hosts will complain that the cost of MM is too high, particularly for small meets. Our LMSC has pledged to provide financial assistance in such cases, subsidizing the cost of purchase as long as there is a reasonable expectation that the meet host will host meets in the future on an ongoing basis. (Basically our LMSC views the MM purchase as an investment to help put on future meets.)

Sometimes a meet host will partner with another club that has already purchased Meet Manager; they will come to some sort of agreement on division of labor and any profits from the meet.