Thread: Missing something in My Diet?

Participating Member

Missing something in My Diet?

I did Search the forums for other posts on the Subject of Diet and found some results but they tend to cover a very broad area on Diets in general. I may not be able to get a quick, specific answer I'm looking for (maybe there's just too many variables) but here goes.

little background: I'm 50, Male, Breaststroker, but took some time off and just swam for light fitness and put on a little weight. Never been a "nutrition aficionado" and started training again about 6 mo's ago and I've been on a diet for about two months -I've lost 20lbs which I'm very happy with - 6' 190lbs.. I feel great overall and the Diet has done almost everything I wanted, however I've noticed that I just don't have as much muscle-power in my arms that I had prior to the diet. I eat a lot of fruits and vegs - 3 meals and a snack a day and a lots of water. The Daily animal-protein is at dinner which is either Chicken, Fish or Lamb.

To put it in the form of a question, if everything else feels good (energy, aerobic, etc) and but my arms (biceps and pecs) feel weak, what could I be lacking? (more animal protein or a food group etc) I've been doing some dryland to see if that offsets it, but "my gut feeling" tells me it's something lacking in my diet after the weight loss.

As i said it may not be an easy answer without providing more info, but wanted to give it a shot
    Last edited by rbennett; May 2nd, 2013 at 04:20 PM.

Re: Missing something in My Diet?

whenever you lose weight you lose some fat, muscle, and bone mass. You probably lost some arm muscle. You could keep swimming and hope it comes back, start weight lifting, and/or add more protein... eggs and yogurt are good. Maybe you're just not getting enough total protein, as you said the daily animal protein is at dinner (so do you have a protein source with breakfast/lunch)?

Participating Member

(so do you have a protein source with breakfast/lunch)? not so much, an occasional a shake here and there but not as part of my daily regimen and I think based on what you're saying that may be the problem.
    I was attracted to this diet for it's anti-inflammatory benefits and it has absolutely delivered that result 100% for me. Admittedly it's not promoted as a competitors-diet so I need to make some adjustments for my needs and swimming. I will try to notch the proteins up in my other meals and see if I notice some improvement. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Agreed with the protein suggestion. And it doesn't have to be animal protein. As long as your diet is balanced and your iron count is good you should be fine. Eat your biggest meals at lunch or right after swimming when your metabolism is cranking and while muscles are low in glycogen. The rest of the day you can eat less and you won't be as hungry.

This movie called Forks over Knives is a documentary about two medical professionals (with a farming background) whose research indicates that diets high in beef and dairy should be cut back if not completely avoided altogether. The one Dr.'s son is Rip Essylstyn who wrote the Engine 2 Diet. He's a fireman as well as an accomplished triathlete and All American Masters swimmer.

Not saying that this is for everyone, but you might find it interesting. Keeping properly fueled is the key to feeling good and staying strong.

Participating Member

My biggest meal easily has been dinner during this process. And yes I'm always "eagerly anticipating" Dinner, so I'm definately hungry later in the day so what you're saying makes a lot of sense... I workout in the A.M. and not starving right after w/o but I have some cereal (rice milk) banana & blueberries, so I think I'll try a protein drink after w/o and then make the shift to eat a bigger lunch.

As part of this diet I have cut waaaay back on Dairy (now rice milk, introducing some almond milk and goat cheese) I replaced beef with Lamb maybe twice a week. I'm also considering part of it (weak muscles) could be age. not too long ago I'd eat whatever and not notice any negative effects one way or the other, but now I'm paying more attention to what I eat.

Thanks for the references I'll check them out. I wouldn't say the Diet I adopted is for everyone either (especially athletes) it's a little hard to wrap your mind around at first but it produced very good results overall for me (anti-inflammation, weight loss and cleaned up my digestion, and my need for antacid too) I don;t want to abandon it but I just think I need to modify some things if I want to train harder & compete.

BTW the Diet I'm referring to is "The Plan" By Lyn-Genet Recita's I was very skeptical at first, but I realized the benefits (for me) early on. As you said, it's not going to be for everyone.

Participating Member

...and just added Forks over Knives to my NetFlix que.

Blog Entries

What time of day do you usually swim? How soon after that are you replenishing your protein?

I agree with the others. But then again I eat too much
    After my morning swim workout, I eat a protein bar in my car while driving away. After I get to work, I eat a breakfast sandwich (egg white, turkey sausage, nonfat cheese). Eat some yogurt somewhere in the morning, and a mostly normal lunch and dinner.

A month or so ago I was in Salt Lake City for work. My cousin and his wife live there, and I met up with them for dinner the first night. They are both vegan, and I just eat what they ate. I was fine that night, but woke up the next morning simply STARVING. I ran to my hotel's breakfast buffet and had 2 breakfast burritos. I told them that the next night, and they laughed and said how after we parted they thought that would happen. I was going through protein withdrawl. And that next night, I got one dish just for me...that had chicken.
    Check out my blog here
    "You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Participating Member

I swim 7:00-8:30 am.

I normally don't eat anything pre-workout because I'm in the pool 45 mins after getting up, but I wondered if I needed a boost there too.

I just started (this week) the protein drink (35g) right after w/o then the cereal/fruit when I get to work shortly after. Lots of greens/veggie salad for lunch, but no protein so I'm going to add that (I did today as a matter of fact, it's lunchtime right now on the east coast)

Overall I feel great, I'm not going through my day starving or lethargic. Really my only complaint is when I hit the water and not long into the workout, my arms are noticably weaker and sore. I think that everyones suggestions are on track and I'll need to try and see how it goes over the next couple of weeks.
    Last edited by rbennett; May 3rd, 2013 at 05:11 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rbennett View Post
    ...and just added Forks over Knives to my NetFlix que.
    You'll enjoy the film for sure.

It was amazing to see people on medications for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes throw them all out in less three months of their new food plan.

Rip Essylstyn (The Engine 2 Diet author) is a serious athlete and he's a total vegan. That said, there's something to be gleaned by what they're promoting. (I tried it for a while but it was hard to say no to a good steak every so often.)

Blog Entries

Lift weights and supplement current diet with 40 extra grams of protein. I use the slow release caesin type, which works better than whey for me

I have just about eliminated dairy from my diet and guess what? My bones started aching and not just a little either. Talked to GP about it... I have a vitamin D deficiency... Pretty significant... On my 2nd 4month round of 50,000 units/week and my numbers are still well below average. So be careful when you eliminate dairy.

Participating Member

laineybug that's good to know - I came on here to update my progess and saw your comments...
    I don't know the finer points of D vs D3 but I do take "D3" daily. In any event I have a history of agressive Arthritis so I'd have to say, I do feel better than I have in a long time on this diet. My current complaint seems more Muscle-related. That's still good to know... my annual visit to my Doc with Bloodwork is in a couple of weeks, so I'll know more details then.

My UPDATE: I have added more protein during Lunch (chicken, egg & beans with my salads) and have also added more Carbs - I think I was being a little stingy in that area, so this past week I've had half a large wheat bagel in the a.m. before workout and half at lunch both with almond butter. between those things I already feel a big improvement with my arms as far as lack of soreness so Im still trying to dial it in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rbennett View Post
    lalso added more Carbs - I think I was being a little stingy in that area, so this past week I've had half a large wheat bagel in the a.m. before workout and half at lunch both with almond butter. between those things I already feel a big improvement with my arms as far as lack of soreness so Im still trying to dial it in.
    I once avoided extra carbs thinking I should consume them by demand. Later I realized I couldn't improve strength or maintain weight unless glycogen is in supply during workouts and replenished after workouts.

That almond butter is delicious, too bad it's $10 a serving.

Do you refuel as soon as possible following a workout? The sooner you refuel, the greater your energy levels will be the following day.

Very Active Member robertsrobson's Avatar

I lost over 20lbs in the first few months of the year and found the same. I quite often felt a little weak working out in the pool. Funnily enough I felt good in the gym. While I was trying to lose weight I tolerated it. My change, aiming for maintenance, was to snack in preparation for exercise and/or take something in afterwards if I wasn't eating a meal soon. I generally feel much better, and agree that protein seems to help. I still have some carbs with every meal, but have become less reliant on them overall...