Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

  1. #1
    Very Active Member knelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,343
    Blog Entries
    538

    Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

    This is very interesting:
    http://swimswam.com/arena-waives-fin...in-carbon-pro/

    What are people who bought one of these for USMS Nationals going to do? I'm sure Arena is going to offer to replace the suits, but with Nationals days away it's going to be tough to get a new one before the meet starts.

    Arena, therefore, advised FINA of its decision to withdraw the approval codes of concerned POWERSKIN Carbon-Pro models:

    AR220993 woman full body open back

    AR220994 woman full body closed back

    AR141364 man jammer

    Consequently, as of May 7 onwards, all POWERSKIN Carbon-Pro suits to be used in FINA sanctioned events will have the following approval codes:

    AR221039 woman full body open back

    AR221028 woman full body closed back

    AR141028 man jammer

  2. #2
    sprint diva The Fortress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,035
    Blog Entries
    1687

    Re: Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

    Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    This is very interesting:
    http://swimswam.com/arena-waives-fin...in-carbon-pro/

    What are people who bought one of these for USMS Nationals going to do? I'm sure Arena is going to offer to replace the suits, but with Nationals days away it's going to be tough to get a new one before the meet starts.
    People with these suits have to be grandfathered in for nationals. There is no way they could get a replacement. Retailers aren't even aware of Arena's announcement and don't have suits with the approved bar codes. Plus, I would assume most swimmers have no clue about this announcement.

    Speed LZRs are still the main suit I see on deck. But increasingly, I see masters with the Arena suits.

  3. #3
    Very Active Member knelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,343
    Blog Entries
    538

    Re: Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

    I think USMS is going to have to make a decision on this. It's not fair either way, really. It's not fair to let some people use illegal suits, and it's not fair to make these suits illegal just days before the meet. Since the meet is SCY my opinion is USMS should allow the suits. I'm just glad I didn't buy one!!

  4. #4
    Very Active Member Allen Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Mulino,OR
    Posts
    3,883

    Re: Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

    Wow.I have a carbon pro jammer and I guess it is illegal now.I guess it is good I hurt my shoulder so I don't have to fret about it.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

  5. #5
    sprint diva The Fortress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,035
    Blog Entries
    1687

    Re: Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    Wow.I have a carbon pro jammer and I guess it is illegal now.I guess it is good I hurt my shoulder so I don't have to fret about it.
    Have you used it yet? If not, you can return it. What do people do that have spent $3-500 on a suit that they wore once and can't be returned?

  6. #6
    Very Active Member knelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,343
    Blog Entries
    538

    Re: Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

    I've got to assume Arena will offer to replace these suits, even if they've been used.

  7. #7
    sprint diva The Fortress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,035
    Blog Entries
    1687

    Re: Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

    Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    I've got to assume Arena will offer to replace these suits, even if they've been used.
    I wouldn't make that assumption. All mention of replacement was conveniently left out of that statement.

  8. #8
    Very Active Member ekw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    414
    Blog Entries
    208

    Re: Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

    Apparently they will be replacing them at Nationals:

    http://swimswam.com/arena-waives-fin...in-carbon-pro/ (updated)
    "athletes competing in both Charlotte and at Master’s Nationals this weekend will have their suit needs met by an Arena rep on site."
    "Librarians are hiding something." - Stephen Colbert

  9. #9
    Very Active Member knelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,343
    Blog Entries
    538

    Re: Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

    I hope Arena is being honest about this and it was, in fact, a change in manufacturing that led to the suits being out of compliance. Does anyone know exactly how FINA acquires the suits for testing? If the suit makers send them to FINA it opens up the possibility of sending samples they know will pass, but don't reflect the actual suit that is available to the public. The story makes it sound like FINA discovered the problem when testing an off-the-shelf suit, but obviously the suits did pass testing when they were first introduced and that makes me suspicious.

  10. #10
    sprint diva The Fortress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,035
    Blog Entries
    1687

    Re: Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

    Quote Originally Posted by ekw View Post
    Apparently they will be replacing them at Nationals:

    http://swimswam.com/arena-waives-fin...in-carbon-pro/ (updated)
    "athletes competing in both Charlotte and at Master’s Nationals this weekend will have their suit needs met by an Arena rep on site."
    That's good news! I hope they bring a lot of replacements. I just bought my kid a brand new Arena, now banned. I have 4 Arena suits myself and one of mine (worn one day) is banned. They are going to take a bath with this "production error." If they hadn't replaced them, I would have been beyond angry. I hope Arena is there Thursday all day.
    Last edited by The Fortress; May 6th, 2013 at 01:59 PM.

  11. #11
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    116

    Re: Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

    I hope somebody will be there...I just ordered a Carbon Pro and will pick it up at the vendor at Nationals.

  12. #12
    sprint diva The Fortress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,035
    Blog Entries
    1687

    Re: Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

    Quote Originally Posted by Britt03 View Post
    I hope somebody will be there...I just ordered a Carbon Pro and will pick it up at the vendor at Nationals.
    Yeah, we don't need lime green suits to arrive in June ...

    Can USMS post vendor contact info? And they better not expect receipts -- long gone.
    Last edited by The Fortress; May 6th, 2013 at 02:02 PM.

  13. #13
    Very Fetching Rump SwimStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Out East...in the pool
    Posts
    5,309
    Blog Entries
    429

    Re: Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

    Bring your receipts and the statement. I think the easiest solution (for USMS) is to allow the suits this year. Swimmers have shattered "floaty suit" times since they were banned, so even if these ones help a bit too much, those times will fall eventually.

    Masters are getting fitter and faster every year thanks to hard work and dedication in and out of the pool.
    well most masters, not me necessarily.



    .

  14. #14
    Very Fetching Rump SwimStud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Out East...in the pool
    Posts
    5,309
    Blog Entries
    429

    Re: Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    Yeah, we don't need lime green suits to arrive in June ...
    Nothing wrong with lime...



    .

  15. #15
    Farewell Lily smontanaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Evanston, IL
    Posts
    1,583
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

    Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    I hope Arena is being honest about this and it was, in fact, a change in manufacturing that led to the suits being out of compliance. Does anyone know exactly how FINA acquires the suits for testing? If the suit makers send them to FINA it opens up the possibility of sending samples they know will pass, but don't reflect the actual suit that is available to the public. The story makes it sound like FINA discovered the problem when testing an off-the-shelf suit, but obviously the suits did pass testing when they were first introduced and that makes me suspicious.
    Before suits are available at retail, I can't imagine FINA getting them any other way than directly from the manufacturers. There's also a chicken-and-egg situation. Manufacturers are unlikely to ramp up production of these expensive suits until FINA has approved them.

  16. #16
    Very Active Member aquageek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    5,624
    Blog Entries
    588

    Re: Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

    If the suits are not legal they should not be allowed at Nationals, period. I don't care when they were bought. An illegal item that gives you a competitive advantage should not be grandfathered in. If I buy a fancy new golf club and play with in a tourney and it is deemed illegal my score does not count. The same should be true of any competition with a governing body. As a coach I would certainly argue this case for my swimmers if they lose a spot to someone in an illegal suit.

    Arena makes good looking suits and they have come aggressively back into the US market. I think they are the title sponsor for the Grand Prix series. But, your product has to be legal.

  17. #17
    Very Active Member quicksilver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Eastern Long Island
    Posts
    1,450
    Blog Entries
    325

    Re: Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

    Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    What are people who bought one of these for USMS Nationals going to do?
    Black tape or permanent marker over the Arena logo should do the trick.

  18. #18
    Very Active Member knelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,343
    Blog Entries
    538

    Re: Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    Black tape or permanent marker over the Arena logo should do the trick.
    Those suits are pretty obvious. I think it's going to take a little more than covering up the logo!

    Of course who is going to check if you've got the illegal suit or the (legal) replacement suit? I doubt it's obvious. They will both carry the FINA approved QR stamp. Seriously, this could be quite a problem. It's almost got to be the honor system. Major meets will probably need to check everyone's suit.

    edit: yes, it is obvious. As mentioned in my first post the model number appears on the FINA approved stamp. Looks like meets will need to add a few more volunteer spots for "official butt checker."
    Last edited by knelson; May 6th, 2013 at 03:52 PM.

  19. #19
    sprint diva The Fortress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,035
    Blog Entries
    1687

    Re: Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek View Post
    If the suits are not legal they should not be allowed at Nationals, period. I don't care when they were bought. An illegal item that gives you a competitive advantage should not be grandfathered in. If I buy a fancy new golf club and play with in a tourney and it is deemed illegal my score does not count. The same should be true of any competition with a governing body. As a coach I would certainly argue this case for my swimmers if they lose a spot to someone in an illegal suit.

    Arena makes good looking suits and they have come aggressively back into the US market. I think they are the title sponsor for the Grand Prix series. But, your product has to be legal.
    We all wore FINA illegal suits in Atlanta in 2010, though you make a good point. Arena better be handing out free replacement suits like candy if they want to preserve their market share and customer goodwill.

    I will not wear an illegal suit. I am purchasing a new LZR Elite tomorrow as a back up; I have one on hold already. I am emailing the vendor in advance about the Arena suits that I need replaced.

    Unless USMS sends out an update to all entrants, there will be people wearing illegal suits because they have no clue about the ban.

  20. #20
    Very Active Member jroddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    1,083

    Re: Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

    Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    edit: yes, it is obvious. As mentioned in my first post the model number appears on the FINA approved stamp. Looks like meets will need to add a few more volunteer spots for "official butt checker."
    SwimStud will coordinate all of the volunteers for the unofficial butt checkers...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Carbon is the new rubber
    By That Guy in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 23rd, 2012, 04:08 PM
  2. Pr 49 - fina approval of world records
    By ande in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 25th, 2009, 08:04 AM
  3. Morgan Hamm withdraws
    By ViveBene in forum NSR: Non Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 7th, 2008, 09:23 AM
  4. Arena Suits
    By BruceGianniny in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 14th, 2008, 06:51 AM
  5. Anybody heared about ARENA Nux-K suits?
    By Matthias in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 12th, 2005, 01:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •