Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

Blog Entries

Re: Arena Withdraws Approval for some Carbon-Pro Suits

Quote Originally Posted by jroddin View Post
    SwimStud will coordinate all of the volunteers for the unofficial butt checkers...
    I would not want someone that wears the iron jack on his butt to be the official butt checker.

Blog Entries

The stamp is by the knee according to this article...

FINA Approved Stamp to be Moved to Inside of Suits -- August 14, 2012

PHOENIX, Arizona, August 14. PLENTY has been made about underwater video judging first being discussed by the Olympic coaches at the 2012 London Olympics, but something that went under the radar is a change in the location of the FINA approved stamp for suits.

According to Kim Brackin of Brackin Elite Swim Training, who served as the Zimbabwe's coach with Kirsty Coventry competing in London, FINA will now be required to place its FINA approved logo on the inside of every suit. Brackin stated that officials told the coaches in attendance that the FINA logo on the outside of the suit had been considered to be advertising, and that it will now be placed inside the suit, right by the knee so that officials can quickly flip the suit material to check if it is approved.

Brackin also stated that the bulk of the rest of the coaches meeting dealt with information on FINA approved caps, goggles and suits.

Blog Entries

Fina considers their own approved stamp to be advertising. Can they get any more ridiculous?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    Fina considers their own approved stamp to be advertising. Can they get any more ridiculous?
    I think that ruling may have come down from the IOC, not FINA.

Very Active Member jim thornton's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud View Post
    Nothing wrong with lime...
    Says the Limey.

On another note, can someone explain what this means: "During quality control checks it emerged that certain POWERSKIN Carbon-Pro suits exhibited an anomaly that altered the permeability of the swimsuits, making them non-compliant with FINA rules."

What do the rules say about permeability? Must water be able to penetrate through the fabric? If it doesn't, is the idea that air bubbles can get trapped inside the suit, providing some float?

I am wondering if FINA should, in fairness to those of us who don't eat a lot of roughage, institute a rule that all suits must have a one-way flatulence venting valve in the posterior of FINA-approved swim suits. Otherwise, swimmers who like vegetables will be able to gain an unfair advantage over those of us who rarely, if ever, produce gas.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    Unless USMS sends out an update to all entrants, there will be people wearing illegal suits because they have no clue about the ban.
    This is a really good point. Not only at USMS Nationals but also at UltraSwim Grand Prix which starts on Thursday here in Charlotte.

USMS Membership Director Jayhawk's Avatar

EDITED: removed incorrect information
    Last edited by Jayhawk; May 9th, 2013 at 10:18 PM.

Very Active Member

FROM THE USMS RULES COMMITTEE CHAIR: True, effective May 7, 3 Arena suits will no longer be legal. Arena has waived FINA approval of three of its Powerskin Carbon Pro suits. Effective May 7 in accordance with USMS article 102.12.1D, Arena Powerskin Carbon Pro suits bearing the following FINA approval codes (found on the FINA stamp on the back of each suit) will no longer be allowed in USMS competition: AR220993 (womenís), AR220994 (womenís), and AR141364 (menís). A representative will be at nationals in Indianapolis to assist affected swimmers with exchanging the suits. All other affected swimmers should contact Arena (www.support.arenapowerskin.com or at Arenaís FAQ page, www.support.arenapowerskin.com/faq) for information about exchanging suits. Kathy Casey, Chair, USMS Rules Committee
    Kathy Casey

Blog Entries

"Librarians are hiding something." - Stephen Colbert

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ekw View Post
    Arena sound like it is pulling out all the stops. However, the brand new Mark 2 is in short supply. I note Arena says it will provide "racing suits," it doesn't say what suit that will be. It likely won't be an equivalent suit.

I got a prompt email from Tim McCool myself, so they are trying to be responsive.

Blog Entries

I got a prompt email from Tim McCool myself, so they are trying to be responsive.
    Yes, they seem to be, but the question still remains: why now? Supposedly the issue was first found in February. Why wait until a few days before two major meets (USMS Nats and Charlotte Ultraswim)? I guess there's no good time, but this seems to be a particularly bad time to recall the suits.

Blog Entries

Yes, they seem to be, but the question still remains: why now? Supposedly the issue was first found in February. Why wait until a few days before two major meets (USMS Nats and Charlotte Ultraswim)? I guess there's no good time, but this seems to be a particularly bad time to recall the suits.
    An extremely bad time! Especially if Arena doesn't have equivalent replacements on hand, which is what worries me. One doesn't want to arrive at Nats with a brand new carbon pro like Teen Fort and be handed a much less expensive powerskin as a "replacement."

FYI, I was racing in a LZR at Zones where I set an NR and posted some good times. There was a snarky comment on FB about my times possibly not counting. The suit was legal then anyway, and it seems from the description that the defect wasn't even performance enhancing.

Blog Entries

Arena sound like it is pulling out all the stops. However, the brand new Mark 2 is in short supply. I note Arena says it will provide "racing suits," it doesn't say what suit that will be. It likely won't be an equivalent suit.

He's saving you an acid green one, right?
    "Librarians are hiding something." - Stephen Colbert

Very Active Member joel schmaltz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree that there isn't a good time for this to occur. With all the variables associated with ANY meet, the last thing anyone wants to worry about is suit issues of any kind.

If Arena can pull this off (w/equvilent replacements) it will speak volumes off their customer service. I would not want to be working the Arena table where the exchanges will be made. Talk about a deer in the headlights.

Good luck to those of you needing to exchange.

Swimming gives me a buzz! Bobinator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Last night I managed to squeeze myself into my new FS Pro kneeskin that I snagged on Amazon for $39.99! I can't find a fina stamp on the suit. I'm sure it's approved to wear but how do I know? I'm hoping to feel an improvement over my dolfin ugly that I wore at the state meet. The suit feels like the paper suits my kids used to wear.
    HTFU!

Very Active Member

Show it to the meet referee (or to me, if you're at nationals). If it's all textile, it should be OK, but I don't like to pass judgement without seeing it "in person". Kathy Casey, Chair, USMS Rules Committee
    Kathy Casey

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator View Post
    Last night I managed to squeeze myself into my new FS Pro kneeskin that I snagged on Amazon for $39.99! I can't find a fina stamp on the suit.
    Yeah, I've got an FS Pro without the stamp, too. I suspect it's just old stock from before when Fina started stamping them. The FS Pro is definitely a legal suit.

Blog Entries

The FS Pro is definitely a legal suit.
    Yes. And it's a solid suit, Bobinator!

There are plenty of Arena suits that are still legal too -- various powerskins, the X-Glide and the Mark 2. Don't assume someone is wearing an illegal suit just because you see an Arena label.

Blog Entries

Very Active Member

Yeah, I've got an FS Pro without the stamp, too. I suspect it's just old stock from before when Fina started stamping them. The FS Pro is definitely a legal suit.
    And another stampless FS Pro owner here This thread actually had me scared thinking about it not having a stamp. Is this 100% verified an approved suit or should we still be running it by an official?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast