Thread: SMall pool... possibly big turnout.

Question SMall pool... possibly big turnout.

Hi!

I'm proposing to a local fitness center that we start a masters swim team. The problem is that there 25Yards long and and only three lanes wide. I know that I can come up with a decent training regimen for a small group. It's scary to think that if the program is successful we eventually will not be able to satisfy the demand.

Im interested in your thoughts on what my limits are in reference to group size and maybe creative ways that I can fully utilize the facility to it best potencial.

Thx!

Re: SMall pool... possibly big turnout.

Quote Originally Posted by dosorionyc View Post
    Hi!
    Im interested in your thoughts on what my limits are in reference to group size and maybe creative ways that I can fully utilize the facility to it best potencial.
    Thx!
    If you have typical health club 7 foot wide lanes, swimmers will feel crowded with 4 or 5 people in a lane. Lanes against the wall are worse since your stroke can't cross under the lane line at all.

If you have 8 feet or Fina regulation 1.5 meter lanes then 7 to 9 will fit well.

I don't have a good reason why wider lanes makes it feel more comfortable when swimming.

With three lanes, it depends on the crowd and the spread of abilities. We have triathlon workouts that include people with cruise 100 speeds from 2:05 to 1:15, it is difficult to work them into 4 lanes without having them all over each other during sets. I think with three you will need a relatively tight distribution of athletes.

Splitting the groups up into faster and slower (worded delicately) for two sessions can help with that.