Thread: Pool gear theft bums a brother out

Pool gear theft bums a brother out

I tell ya it takes cohones to walk up and steal stuff right under someone's nose. My Finis Alignment Kickboard is gone! Pool was packed so no way to tell where it went and we were all busy doing a chunk of 200's. There were a lot of non-swimmers there i.e. kids horsing around so I can guess where it went. Oh well, while I'm ticked I guess if someone really needs something that badly I hope they truly enjoy it and get what they need. I can envision the kid who took it gloating: "That guy is such a moron he is using that water frisbee incorrectly."

Argh!
    Last edited by vo2; May 9th, 2013 at 09:43 AM.

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Pool gear theft bums a brother out

I feel your pain. I haven't lost anything like that for a long time, but remember the feeling of violation.

I had someone take my (20 year old) kickboard during a lap swim session a couple of months ago. The facility has kickboards to use, but mine apparently looked better, or was closer. I found it a couple of lanes away as I was leaving, and could only toss their shoes in the drink as retribution, since I didn't know which person actually took the board.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

I feel your pain as well. Once, during a masters practice with the coach on deck, someone stole my shoes. They were brand new, too! The age group team there was putting their stuff down around ours so I have a feeling one of the kids took them. It was in the 40s that night so a cold night to go home barefoot.

Yea it's replaceable, but just a hassle. My shoulders have never agreed with traditional kick boards and I like the extra streamline practice and the sort of passive stretching I get using it for kick sets. Put on a snorkel and hit some LC kick sets that will make anyone cry. Already ordered my new one this morning, but I had some sweet sweat dumped on that 'ol board which can't be replaced

Very Active Member

I got my entire equipment bag once stolen from the deck. It was in College and we did dryland. Everyone left their equipment bags on deck to take them into the locker room afterwards. Well, I didn't have anything to take.... I still wonder what college kid, not swimming on the team needs a full equipment bag with 4pairs of paddles, a pull buoy and kick board.
    Luckily, my oldest swim buddy, my 16-year old yellow pullkick, wasn't in the bag and survived.

That's kind of what I thought about my board. 1. No one who swims there can ever use it b/c it has my name in permanent marker on the top and bottom so they must be a one day show up for the 5 finger discount and never come back. 2. there is a rack full of kick boards the pool provides so why take mine? 3. if someone actually swims with the intent of a training regimen I would think they already have a board?

Quote Originally Posted by Britt03 View Post
    I still wonder what college kid, not swimming on the team needs a full equipment bag with 4pairs of paddles, a pull buoy and kick board.

Blog Entries

And my husband thinks I'm being paranoid worrying about people taking my stuff while I'm swimming. It may not happen often, but it DOES happen!

Blog Entries

I had a swimsuit disappear when I was showering, never to be seen again. I assume somebody mistakenly put it with their stuff and left the locker room, but the least he could have done is bring it to the lost and found.

Swimming gives me a buzz! Bobinator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've had kids pick-up my equipment thinking it was there for anyone to use and then when they were done they just put it down in some random place. You might go back to the pool and look around in various nooks and crannies or even the lost and found basket. Good Luck!
    HTFU!

back in the early 70's, i was working as a lifeguard in cass park pool in ithaca, ny. a patron showed up with cut offs. that was a no no. he being an out of towner and disappointed, i offered my team suit. i was in one of those very stylish guard suits. sure enough when done he walked right out with it. obviously not unintentionally. never did that again.

Quote Originally Posted by vo2 View Post
    I tell ya it takes cohones to walk up and steal stuff right under someone's nose. My Finis Alignment Kickboard is gone! Pool was packed so no way to tell where it went and we were all busy doing a chunk of 200's. There were a lot of non-swimmers there i.e. kids horsing around so I can guess where it went. Oh well, while I'm ticked I guess if someone really needs something that badly I hope they truly enjoy it and get what they need. I can envision the kid who took it gloating: "That guy is such a moron he is using that water frisbee incorrectly."

Argh!
    Sorry about your board, I have one of those too and Id be pretty bummed if someone took it.

I was ticked about someone taking my orange nalgene bottle at atlanta nationals a few years ago. I dont understand why someone would be interested in stealing an old, beat up USED water bottle. I loved that thing and I frequently checked the lost and found and always came up empty. I guess Im lucky that it wasnt something more expensive.

Im very careful now about where I put my stuff at meets. People will always be stealin'

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

We have an issue with workout theft. We used to have 8 laminated sheets with 8 workouts on each sheet. When the workout was over, we put the the workout back in a box by the pool. About a year ago, most of them vanished... likely due to an after season box purge by the swim team. We printed them back out on paper and kept them in the same area. Those too started vanishing... but only one at a time. For a while we jokingly accused each other about carelessly leaving the workouts on the pool deck after practice. But when they still disappeared despite multiple people witnessing proper refiling after the workout, we realized we had a workout bandit on our hands. The real puzzle is: who would run off with 4K-5K yard IM based workouts that are a little heavy on the fly sauce? I'm pretty sure triathletes would want nothing to do with these. The age groupers do this kind of stuff but their coaches have their own workouts. Maybe one of them is using ours for extra training? Don't know who it is but if they are an adult and they like our workouts, we'd like to know who it is so we can ask them to swim on our team.

Well my wound is half healed as I just received a UPS delivery notification on my replacement board. I am taking my gear bag and placing it next to the wall from now on and putting items in the bag when not in use. Going to put a man size mouse trap on it to snap shut on the next sucka who tries to 5 finger discount my gear!

Very Active Member

A friend of mine put a new bottle of expensive French name-brand shower gel on the bench. 2 minutes later it's gone. Talk about financial crisis.

Blog Entries

I think thefts of things that have little value to anyone other than their legitimate owner may actually be worse than thefts of expensive things, emotionally. Someone stole my iPod in grad school and while I wasn't happy about it, I could see why someone wanted it. I've been lucky with pool stuff so far but I have had other stuff taken in the past.

A friend of mine put a new bottle of expensive French name-brand shower gel on the bench. 2 minutes later it's gone.
    Not that long ago I accidentally left my shower bag at the Rec and was sure it was gone forever. I was really bummed because a) I made the bag and b) I use special curly hair stuff that's not super cheap. When I found it at lost and found I almost hugged the guy. Thanks, honest person! She must have had straight hair.
    "Librarians are hiding something." - Stephen Colbert

We have had to carry everything on deck for the last 2 months of the season. Someone breaks into the lockers with our locks on & steals wallets,watches & $$$ . I'd like to catch then & give them a free swim lesson!!!

Blog Entries

Well, I have a positive note to add here. A while back (QUITE a while back) I "lost" my wedding ring - it had become loose, and so I tied it into my gear bag. Amazingly enough, it wasn't there at the end of practice. Then, to add insult to injury, my flat iron was somehow removed from my locker. I was so cross! I told the lifeguards - not that I actually expected them to do anything about it. Over the next few days, first, I noticed my flat iron re-appearing. IN my locker. And then my wedding ring. The guard who found them went to the trouble to find out my locker number & sweetly returned them & locked them up where I could find them again. I've had people find my stuff before, leave it at the guard station & it somehow mysteriously would disappear before I ever was able to get back, but this one girl went the extra step. Restores your faith in mankind, it does!