Thread: how many masters sessions per week?

Participating Member

Question how many masters sessions per week?

I am a 50 yr old female who has been swimming Masters for about 4 years (new to competitive swimming). I swim 4 days a week and strength train twice. I began competing this year and am doing surprisingly well and would like to get faster. Question: how many days a week can/should I swim train in order to really get faster, without sustaining overuse injuries??

Blog Entries

Re: how many masters sessions per week?

Quote Originally Posted by lesliemv@hotmail.com View Post
    I am a 50 yr old female who has been swimming Masters for about 4 years (new to competitive swimming). I swim 4 days a week and strength train twice. I began competing this year and am doing surprisingly well and would like to get faster. Question: how many days a week can/should I swim train in order to really get faster, without sustaining overuse injuries??
    I am a sprinter in your age group. I have gotten faster the last year or so switching from 4x per week to 5-6x per week. But I have to be very vigilant about doing rotator cuff and scapular exercises to keep the shoulders healthy (fins help too).

Blog Entries

I started competing 3 years and 3 months ago, and basically learned to swim about two years prior to that, at 41. The only thing can think of is to listen to how your body responds. Know when you might be doing something wrong both in and out of the water, pain receptors are there for a reason. Get plenty of rest and recovery, and eat good and always keep form a priority when training. Injuries often come from poor technique. Good luck and have fun

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    rotator cuff and scapular exercises to keep the shoulders healthy (fins help too).
    I started using fins 4 months ago and my shoulders couldn't be happier. I have also improved in that short period of time, though I can't fully attribute it to fin use, I'm sure it had a significant role.

Blog Entries

I agree with Fort. At 3 times a week you have be extremely deliberate in your workouts. At 4 times you can add in a technique day. But, at 5+ you can really add in some specialty work.

Participating Member

Thank you so much for your responses. I will put on my fins a bit more often and up my workouts a bit while listening to my body. Appreciate your feedback!