Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Summer Nationals in Mission Viejo

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

2013 Summer Nationals in Mission Viejo

Who's going to join me in Mission Viejo? I am looking forward to going back "home" to California!

So, it's time to play GUESS THE ATTENDANCE! Me first: 1,001 . I will probably end up being the "1" at the end; completely contrary to my usual manner of registering early. (My event selection and seed times hinge on where I am at with my current shoulder/leg PT program and what the doctor says about my neck.)

Winner gets a (or drink of choice) on me. (PWB, I still owe you a juice, at least!)

If anybody plans on visiting San Diego or Long Beach while you are in California, I lived in San Diego for 24 years, after growing up in Long Beach. So, I would be happy to answer any questions.

I hope to see you in Mission Viejo!

http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

Re: 2013 Summer Nationals in Mission Viejo

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    So, it's time to play GUESS THE ATTENDANCE!
    Easy, tiger. The entry deadline is still 6+ weeks away.

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    Easy, tiger. The entry deadline is still 6+ weeks away.
    And, your point is???

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

I usually enter early,but not this time.It all hinges on how my shoulder progresses.I got a cortisone shot in it yesterday and it is in the "it will be sore for a couple of days and then we will see how you are"stage.Assuming my shoulder is Ok I'll enter at least the 3 BRs and the 200 fly.I hope to be there and see you there.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Blog Entries

Elaine,

well, I wasn't going to come, but that drink you owe me is calling

but, seriously, I am hoping to make it out for some part of Thursday to Saturday of the meet, primarily to do relays and because it is close and fun.

I am hoping for a bigger meet and that the Pan Am meet doesn't siphon off too many easterners from making the trek out. I think the number will be more like 1,123 because then we could rebrand this the Fibonacci nationals.
    Follow my blog http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=5013
    Twitter @BrundageSwims

Blog Entries

Not sure if I will compete/swim in Mission Viejo. Was planning on volunteering. I live in Long Beach, work in Costa Mesa. Costa Mesa is about 15 minutes away from Mission Viejo. If anyone is planning on swimming distance I would be more than glad to be a lap counter for anyone here on the Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    I usually enter early,but not this time.It all hinges on how my shoulder progresses.I got a cortisone shot in it yesterday and it is in the "it will be sore for a couple of days and then we will see how you are"stage.Assuming my shoulder is Ok I'll enter at least the 3 BRs and the 200 fly.I hope to be there and see you there.
    Good luck with your recovery, King Frog! I will be in the same boat- uhhh- pool as you with my neck. Let's keep our frogs legs crossed we both make it there healthy!

Blog Entries

I think it's going to be a big meet. Skip Thompson told me in Indy that only around 450 American swimmers signed up for Sarasota. And with SC Nats in Indy there were lots of swimmers from the western states who didn't attend that meet. I think many of those will swim at Mission instead. I'm going to wait before I make a prediction, but that's my thinking.

An interesting scheduling note is that the U.S. Open meet and Junior Nationals are both in Irvine this summer and overlap with the USMS Nationals. U.S. Open is 7/30-8/3 and Juniors are 8/5/-8/9. Irvine is "just down the road" from MV.

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    Elaine,

well, I wasn't going to come, but that drink you owe me is calling

but, seriously, I am hoping to make it out for some part of Thursday to Saturday of the meet, primarily to do relays and because it is close and fun.

I am hoping for a bigger meet and that the Pan Am meet doesn't siphon off too many easterners from making the trek out. I think the number will be more like 1,123 because then we could rebrand this the Fibonacci nationals.
    That would turn out to be one heck of an expensive "free" drink! I do hope you make it, though!

I was originally going to guess 1,234, however, I received a hot tip from a certain USMS employee while I was visiting their office that my guess of 1,001 may prove to be more accurate. We shall see...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sive View Post
    Not sure if I will compete/swim in Mission Viejo. Was planning on volunteering. I live in Long Beach, work in Costa Mesa. Costa Mesa is about 15 minutes away from Mission Viejo. If anyone is planning on swimming distance I would be more than glad to be a lap counter for anyone here on the Forums.
    Awesome! I plan on swimming the 1500 and would really appreciate it! So, may I take you up on that offer?

Blog Entries

Hi Elaine,
    Let me get my work schedule coordinated and we are good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sive View Post
    Hi Elaine,
    Let me get my work schedule coordinated and we are good to go!
    If it works out, ! If not, don't sweat it. I can get Bruce to count, rather than do photography or video.

Thanks! is on me!

Sorry -- one Nats per year is my limit. I did good at spring nats, with 1- 5th 3- 6th & a 9th. Time to repair this ol body!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    I think it's going to be a big meet. Skip Thompson told me in Indy that only around 450 American swimmers signed up for Sarasota.
    794 USMS members are entered in the Pan-Ams meet. The demographics from all FINA federations are attached.

panams13_federations.pdf
    I can't remember a life before Google.
    Fortunately, I can Google it.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Wouldn't a southern California meet attract a ton of local former swimmers who un-retire for this meet?

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Awesome! I plan on swimming the 1500 and would really appreciate it! So, may I take you up on that offer?
    I'll be there too & can count if needed as long as our heats aren't too close together. I'm planning to enter 200, 400, 800, 1500 Free and 200 Fly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fresnoid View Post
    I'll be there too & can count if needed as long as our heats aren't too close together. I'm planning to enter 200, 400, 800, 1500 Free and 200 Fly.
    Where is the 400 IM? Slacker.
    Follow my blog http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=5013
    Twitter @BrundageSwims

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    Where is the 400 IM? Slacker.
    One of my written goals is to never, ever do another breastroke kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Fresnoid View Post
    Thanks, Fres! How kind of you to offer! Likewise, if it works out that I can count for you. At this point, my plans are to enter 50, 100, 200 breaststroke, 1500 free, 400 IM, and 200 fly. I'm still thinking on that 200 fly, though. As much as I like swimming it, I would end up a human meet delay! Of course, that's not to say that I won't be in my other events. Considering my ailments, I'll be lucky to match my NQT's in breaststroke!

I just registered for Mission Viejo yesterday! I've never swam in a 50m pool so this will be interesting! At least traveling from Chicago will not be an issue since my Dad lives in Dana Point plus a view other family members in San Clemente. Looking forward to the 200 back.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast