Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Summer Nationals in Mission Viejo

Re: 2013 Summer Nationals in Mission Viejo

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Who's going to join me in Mission Viejo? I am looking forward to going back "home" to California!
    I'm in!!
    I would give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter.

50 m pools kill me in the 200 fly !!!! Turns are my friends !!

Very Active Member TRYM_Swimmer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    Yes. It is the Greatest Race Of All Time, but it would be made even better if I could do a dolphin kick instead of a breaststroke kick!
    Au contraire, pwb! The reason it's the GROAT is that halfway through this boring legs up and down, up and down, up and down, zzzzzz, there's this sudden shift to the elegant thrust and glide that wakes up both the swimmer and the audience from their stupor.

And, of course, it gives those of us with deformed legs a chance to catch up with those of you that are not so blessed!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
    I'm considering both USMS LCM nationals and the IGLA SCM meet in the Seattle area. As they are less than a week away from each other, I don't really see it as practical to do both (and I don't have enough vacation time or $$$ for both).

One winning point of IGLA is that I can do more events--no NQT's, everyone can do the same number of events. And they have an o/w option too (in Lake Washington). I'd expect it to be more fun, with a little swimming mixed in. I could swim with our local IGLA team (if they send enough swimmers), swim on my own, or perhaps swim with another team, maybe one from NYC.
    Of course Mission Viejo is somewhat driving distance, and the meet is slightly less expensive. I'd expect it to be a bit of swimming, with a little bit of fun. I'd have to qualify, which I don't, so I'm limited to only 3 events. My team will probably have a few people.

Timing seems an issue...as others have noted the Pan Am, USMS LCM, and IGLA meets are all close together.

NOTE: for any PNW forumites, if you're on the fence for USMS nationals, you could always do IGLA
    I went to my first IGLA games last year and was very impressed with all aspects of this event. Besides swimming, the IGLA featured water polo, synchronized swimming and diving. It was really cool to see other masters athletes striving to do their best in sports that one does not see in a USMS championship.

I was also impressed by the post athletic activities: a gala banquet, sponsored trips to the Blue Lagoon, whale watching and most impressively - a post meet talent show that highlighted the creativity and humor of my fellow athletes.

I'm already committed to Mission Viejo but can highly recommend IGLA if you want to experience a more robust and thought provoking side of our great sport.

Best wishes,
    Philipp
    Philipp A. Djang, Ph.D.
    New Mexico Masters Swimming
    Webmaster and Sanctions Officer
    http://sites.google.com/site/newmexi...sswimming/home

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by debaru View Post
    I'm in!!

WoooHOOOO Debaru! (I saw your e-mails; reply to come later, when I return...)
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

I need to withdrawl my offer to count laps for the distance swimmers. I did not realize swimming would start at 8:00 am. I was planning on working half day then driving down to the pool in the afternoon. Therefore I will be available to count laps for anyone in the afternoon. Probably after 1:30 or 2:00 pm depending on traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sive View Post
    I need to withdrawl my offer to count laps for the distance swimmers. I did not realize swimming would start at 8:00 am. I was planning on working half day then driving down to the pool in the afternoon. Therefore I will be available to count laps for anyone in the afternoon. Probably after 1:30 or 2:00 pm depending on traffic.

Well, I'll be a slow one who is seeded early, so I'm sure I will be dry by then! Hmmm, but, then again, there will be older/slower ones than me. I have NO idea what time I will be swimming! So, IF Fresnoid isn't available to count for me and IF I haven't already swum my heat, then I have dibs on ya, Bill!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
    I'm considering both USMS LCM nationals and the IGLA SCM meet in the Seattle area. As they are less than a week away from each other, I don't really see it as practical to do both (and I don't have enough vacation time or $$$ for both).

One winning point of IGLA is that I can do more events--no NQT's, everyone can do the same number of events. And they have an o/w option too (in Lake Washington). I'd expect it to be more fun, with a little swimming mixed in. I could swim with our local IGLA team (if they send enough swimmers), swim on my own, or perhaps swim with another team, maybe one from NYC.
    Of course Mission Viejo is somewhat driving distance, and the meet is slightly less expensive. I'd expect it to be a bit of swimming, with a little bit of fun. I'd have to qualify, which I don't, so I'm limited to only 3 events. My team will probably have a few people.

Timing seems an issue...as others have noted the Pan Am, USMS LCM, and IGLA meets are all close together.

NOTE: for any PNW forumites, if you're on the fence for USMS nationals, you could always do IGLA
    I looked into attending the IGLA meet in Federal Way as well this year, moreso because of the proximity to where I live. I was originally going to sign up for one day (I can go over and back the same day), and do 3-4 events on whatever day had the "best events" for me. I went through the registration process, and then got to the price tag and the "give credit card info". WHOA!! It was steep!! I backed out of it merely for the price alone.
    I thought it would be fun to come over for a day of it to see everything and have fun racing as well, but it's not going to happen. I'll be earning booku bucks in overtime anyway this summer, and don't want to miss the opportunity for more of it. I already have two LCM meets right here in Wenatchee that I can swim in anyway.
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

Inland NW Top Ten & Records Chair, and Web-Dude
    www.inlandnwmasters.org

Some times the cost is a switch to be flipped & overtime is hard to pass up !! Will you be rewarded with placing where you think you might end up ?

So, it's time to play GUESS THE ATTENDANCE! Me first: 1,001 .

Well, it looks like I was off by exactly 400. The attendance is officially 1401.
    Last edited by ElaineK; July 4th, 2013 at 07:29 PM.

Elaine,

well, I wasn't going to come, but that drink you owe me is calling

but, seriously, I am hoping to make it out for some part of Thursday to Saturday of the meet, primarily to do relays and because it is close and fun.

I am hoping for a bigger meet and that the Pan Am meet doesn't siphon off too many easterners from making the trek out. I think the number will be more like 1,123 because then we could rebrand this the Fibonacci nationals.

Patrick, that drink that was calling? Make that
    , because you were the only other one who bothered to play "Guess the Attendance" and you beat me! So, I still owe you the one from Mesa and now I owe you another.

Blog Entries

Patrick, that drink that was calling? Make that
    , because you were the only other one who bothered to play "Guess the Attendance" and you beat me! So, I still owe you the one from Mesa and now I owe you another.
    cool. Now, I really need to make sure I actually get to the meet with an intact shoulder (if not for the swimming then to lift the pints).
    Follow my blog http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=5013
    Twitter @BrundageSwims

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

cool. Now, I really need to make sure I actually get to the meet with an intact shoulder (if not for the swimming then to lift the pints).
    Wimp. Can't you drink with the other hand?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fresnoid View Post
    Wimp. Can't you drink with the other hand?
    Elaine owes me two drinks, so I need both hands-arms-shoulders. A sprinter, of course, would do one at a time with a long rest in between.
    Follow my blog http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=5013
    Twitter @BrundageSwims

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Elaine owes me two drinks, so I need both hands-arms-shoulders. A sprinter, of course, would do one at a time with a long rest in between.
    I forgot to mention. Since you travel, always have ziplocks and an ace bandage in the car. Always ice the shoulder after working out. Fill the bag at any fast food or convenience store. Pay them for a small drink, then get your ice. Even better, double bag a Slurpee for faster inflammation relief.

I got ice today at the Safeway just before getting back on on 24.

Yep, you're on your own there; I buy, you lift!

MJ Have fun at nats. I think you need to try some swims in 50 M. It really changes the way you go out with only 1/2 the turns & a LONG way till the next wall !!!!

Thanks Orca! I did a 50m meet a couple weeks ago . 200 Back was my first event, not as bad as I thought. The problem was the limited amount of swimmers so I finished my 200 back, immediately walked to the other end of the pool to get on the blocks for 50 Free...Ouch. I'm glad Nationals will be more spread out, so I can rest!

Quote Originally Posted by mj2345 View Post
    Thanks Orca! I did a 50m meet a couple weeks ago . 200 Back was my first event, not as bad as I thought. The problem was the limited amount of swimmers so I finished my 200 back, immediately walked to the other end of the pool to get on the blocks for 50 Free...Ouch. I'm glad Nationals will be more spread out, so I can rest!
    Oh, it will be spread out alright! Be careful what you ask for...

Although I won't be there I wish all the participants well.Having over 1400 swimmers at an LCM Nats is a sign of health for USMS.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast