Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Summer Nationals in Mission Viejo

Re: 2013 Summer Nationals in Mission Viejo

Sometimes I nearly fall asleep 'tween events at Nats !!

Blog Entries

I noticed on the SPMS website for the meet that the end time for Wednesday is 9:00 pm. I will be leaving work at 2pm and should arrive in Mission Viejo around 2:30 pm. Parking will be another matter. In any case I anticipate being at the pool no later then 3pm. If anyone other than Elaine and Debaru need a lap counter then let me know when you see me at the pool.

You wont be able to miss me. LOL.

I asked the meet director a while ago to place me on the volunteer list, but they never contacted me. I'm there if needed. No biggie.

Does anyone know what happened to Rick Colella?After 2 WRs and a good 50 BR he wasn't in the 400 IM and 200 BR,arguable his best events.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to Rick Colella?After 2 WRs and a good 50 BR he wasn't in the 400 IM and 200 BR,arguable his best events.

We were wondering the same thing, because he and his family were staying at our hotel. After seeing his family around the pool on Friday, we didn't see them after that.

http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

100% speculation, but since Rick already has the WR in both the 400 IM and 200 breast, perhaps he decided spending the rest of his time in SoCal with family was more important than another long day at the pool.

My thoughts about Nationals:

In one word: AWESOME!

Expecting it to be a complete zoo in the warm-up pools and shower/restroom facilities, I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to get in good warm-ups and cool downs. The teaching pool was less crowded; I usually only had to share a lane with one or two other people.

Although it was crowded in the restrooms, I never had to wait for a shower and there was a boatload of Tri-Swim products to use. Thanks, Tri-Swim!

Mission Viejo did an excellent job running the meet, keeping it pretty much on schedule. And, the volunteers and staff were outstanding!

The steel drum player and guitarist were a nice touch; I loved the way they changed the lyrics to the songs for swimming and U.S. Masters.

A HUGE thanks to Rob Butcher and the USMS staff for everything they did to make this a terrific meet!

Hey, Natadores, you guys rock! I loved the logo and the medals are AWESOME! Your team did a great job on everything; the details were a great touch: They actually went out and bought several pairs of reading glasses, tied them to long strings, and hung them from the heat sheats and results boards.

As for the parking, it wasn't as bad as expected. We were able to park in the lot every single day, by arriving at 6:30 AM. My event was the first one each day, so it worked out great. They also paid the city to allow street parking where it is usually not permitted.

Other thoughts:
    -Dara Torres was a class act; she came early and left late and was fantastic!
    -Hammer Nutrition was amazing, giving out loads of samples and supporting the swimmers with everything they needed. THANK YOU HAMMER NUTRITION!!!

Personal highlights:
    Although I ended up "racing" with a dislocated rib (details in the Swim Happy thread), I loved every minute in that pool. The highlight, though was getting to race on a relay with world record holder Diann Uustal, a total class act. She actually thanked me and gave me a hug and kiss for swimming with her on the relay! That medal means the world to me, even though we came in 6th place, because of me slowing the team down.

Finally, as always, the BEST part was seeing my Forumite friends, especially Debaru! Getting to meet That Guy was another highlight. (I'll get back to you later on that post, buddy ). I also got to see Bill Sive again, and spend some time with Ande. But, I missed pwb! I still owe you those beers!

Thanks to everybody for making this another fantastic and memorable experience!

And, congratulations to my six Georgia Masters teammates. Between the seven of us, we accumulated enough points to place 7th out of 19 regional teams! You gals rock!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    My thoughts about Nationals:
    In one word: AWESOME!
    ..., as always, the BEST part was seeing my Forumite friends, especially Debaru!
    Right back at you, Aquadog!! What a great experience!
    I would give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    I understand that Rick had health issues (heart). He is a magnificent athlete and gentleman. I trust he will be able to resolve this issue and return to swim and set new records again.
    Philipp A. Djang, Ph.D.
    New Mexico Masters Swimming
    Webmaster and Sanctions Officer
    http://sites.google.com/site/newmexi...sswimming/home

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pdjang View Post
    I understand that Rick had health issues (heart). He is a magnificent athlete and gentleman. I trust he will be able to resolve this issue and return to swim and set new records again.
    Well, gee, that's bad news. I hope it's nothing too serious and we see Rick in the pool again soon!

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    Well, gee, that's bad news. I hope it's nothing too serious and we see Rick in the pool again soon!
    Rick is really a class guy.I hope he gets whatever the problem is resolved soon.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

The following are some videos from Nationals:
    Ande's 200 IM (Lane 8, white cap):
    BORKED

That Guy's 200 IM (Lane 4, black cap, red suit)- Sorry I missed the start:
    BORKED

That Guy's 100 Backstroke (Lane 6, black cap, red suit):
    BORKED

95 year old Rita Simonton's 100 Freestyle. I want to grow up to be just like her! (Sorry I lost her in the sun after the turn; it was brutally bright out there!)
    BORKED

I also wrote a blog post about my experience:
    http://elaineiakstravels.wordpress.c...mer-nationals/

For any of you who would like a good laugh, check out the EXTREMELY slow fly portion of my 400 IM, swum with a subluxed (or dislocated) floating rib pressing on my kidney.
    Although I was in dead last by several meters after the fly, I managed to catch lanes 7 & 8 on backstroke and widened the gap on breaststroke. Feel free to offer any stroke critiques, keeping in mind I had to adapt my stroke on fly to accomodate the "OUCH!" on every stroke:
    BORKED

Last edited by ElaineK; August 21st, 2013 at 04:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Re: 2013 Summer Nationals in Mission Viejo

That Guy's 200 IM (Lane 4, black cap, red suit)
    Thank you for posting these! Muppet was next to me in the 200 IM, wearing the red cap. I wished him luck before the race and he seemed to have no idea who I was. :-) For bonus points, that day I was rocking my red Nike brief from last year's Go The Distance because I left my jammer in my hotel room.
    "I blame you, James!" - knelson

Blog Entries

The following are some videos from Nationals: ...For any of you who would like a good laugh, check out the EXTREMELY slow fly portion of my 400 IM, swum with a subluxated (or dislocated) floating rib pressing on my kidney. Although I was in dead last by several meters after the fly, I managed to catch lanes 7 & 8 on backstroke and widened the gap on breaststroke.
    Thanks for posting the videos. I enjoyed watching all of them! I certainly did not laugh at your 400 IM, but rather was very impressed with your very commendable race, especially under the circumstances. There is no doubt you have achieved much to become the swimmer you are, and yet the video demonstrates you certainly have excellent water feel and balance to improve even more so in each stroke.

Blog Entries

Someone should tell That Guy in the red swimsuit to put some sun screen on. I haven't seen anything that pale since visitng a zoo and seeing a polar bear.

Wait, the polar bear had more of a tan.

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee View Post
    Someone should tell That Guy in the red swimsuit to put some sun screen on. I haven't seen anything that pale since visitng a zoo and seeing a polar bear.

Wait, the polar bear had more of a tan.
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

Inland NW Top Ten & Records Chair, and Web-Dude
    www.inlandnwmasters.org

Blog Entries

That's because we have a beautiful 50 meter outdoor pool right on Puget Sound here in the area, but TG utterly refuses to ever swim there. At least I've never seen him there!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    That's because we have a beautiful 50 meter outdoor pool right on Puget Sound here in the area, but TG utterly refuses to ever swim there. At least I've never seen him there!
    I don't know how anyone could see frosty with all that blinding light.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Thank you for posting these! Muppet was next to me in the 200 IM, wearing the red cap. I wished him luck before the race and he seemed to have no idea who I was. :-) For bonus points, that day I was rocking my red Nike brief from last year's Go The Distance because I left my jammer in my hotel room.

Forumites: Check out my blog for the true identity of That Guy!

Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten View Post
    Thanks for posting the videos. I enjoyed watching all of them! I certainly did not laugh at your 400 IM, but rather was very impressed with your very commendable race, especially under the circumstances. There is no doubt you have achieved much to become the swimmer you are, and yet the video demonstrates you certainly have excellent water feel and balance to improve even more so in each stroke.

Aha! There you are! I just posted a reply to your comment on my blog asking what name you go by on the Forums. Duh.

As for you post above- . You said just what I needed to hear, as I am sitting here whimpering after a p-p-p-painful trigger point dry needling session with the physical therapist! Thank you!

I don't know how anyone could see frosty with all that blinding light.

At least you can see his skin. With all that hair covering up yours, who knows just how blinding your skin would be after a shave down!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast