Thread: LMSC Pool Certification Procedures (LMSC Standards T3)

LMSC Pool Certification Procedures (LMSC Standards T3)

The next topic comes from the perspective of the Top Ten volunteer role. Please take a moment at your convenience to review and respond with your comments/questions/concerns.

From the 2012 LMSC Standards survey results, we found that 75% of LMSCs report that they are meeting the requirement to "Ensure that all results are from facilities that meet pool certification requirements."

How does your LMSC succeed in meeting this requirement?

What challenges or obstacles have you encountered as you attempt to certify pool lengths within your LMSC?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to provide your feedback.

- The LMSC Mentoring Subcommittee

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: LMSC Pool Certification Procedures (LMSC Standards T3)

We're lucky in that, for many years, all of our sanctioned meets were held in non-bulkhead pools. So once those pools were certified (something that pre-dates my involvement in these matters), we didn't have to worry about them any more.

Recently we've had two new (very nice) pools that are now being used for sanctioned meets; both facilities have bulkheads. The LMSC purchased a laser measuring device to verify bulkhead placement after meet sessions and so far there haven't been any problems.

Very Active Member

Re: LMSC Pool Certification Procedures (LMSC Standards T3)

We are also lucky in NJ for different reasons:
    1. The entire LMSC is geographically very small - for some odd reason "NJ" is not even the full state of New Jersey! Only the top 2/3 and almost all of our meets are close to where I live. I have never had to travel more than an hour to get to one of our locations.
    2. We don't have that many meets, therefore not that many facilities. Not that we don't want more, but right now, we just have a handful of events.
    3. Like VA, several of our meets are in fixed wall facilities that have not been renovated.

Perhaps one of the most important things to do is to ensure that the person responsible for measuring is "in the loop" on all event sanction requests (I receive copies of every on-line sanction request as the Top Ten Recorder for NJ) AND both the sanction chair and the Top Ten Recorder are actively communicating with all event hosts/directors about the need to have the facility measured (if not already done, or a bulkhead meet) as soon as an even is being planned.

I would say the bottom line on all of this is that the Top Ten Recorder ensures (through diligent follow up as necessary) that this requirement is being met for all events in the LMSC.