Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot Water --Whining about the Whiners

Very Active Member

Angry Hot Water --Whining about the Whiners

The pool was 85 degrees today. The motor on the exhaust fans is broken and won't be fixed until the pool closes in the summer. We can't open the outside doors on school days for safety reasons. School is still in session, so the gym teachers still have a say and frankly, are listened to more than an extra-curricular swim coach. SHUT UP ABOUT IT! Constantly whining about the temperature of the water is not accomplishing anything. There is nothing anyone can do about it. The coach is constantly in contact with the custodians and the superintendent about the issue. SUCK IT UP OR STAY HOME. Look at the positives....1. They let us in at 5:15 AM 2. They do an amazing job of keeping the water crystal clear all the time! 3. We have the luxury of swimming long course, indoors, in April, in Pennsylvania! Phew. I feel better now. Thanks.
    Last edited by jpetyk; May 28th, 2013 at 08:55 AM.

Re: Hot Water --Whining about the Whiners

lol. You could institute the "Two Positives for Every Negative" rule we used on my college team. For every negative comment you owe two positive ones. You've already done your part

Very Active Member

its only 85?

man, what kind of story would we hear if the water hit 90 or 91 like it does here in the summer?
    i usually bring my rubber ducky and mr bubble. makes workout much better.

of course right now i'm dreaming of trying to do just 1 stroke.

Very Active Member

The lack of air circulation makes it feel worse than it really is. I do, however, have a family of rubber duckies in my equipment bag that come out on days like today.

Holy smokes that is hot. More power to ya if you can swim a workout in that. Pools near 90 by mid day here half the year so if I don't get a morning swim in the evening stuff is technique/drill only. I hear ya though beefing does no one any good. Last time I swam a hard workout in high 80's water I was dry heaving in the parking lot. Never again!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunruh View Post
    its only 85?

man, what kind of story would we hear if the water hit 90 or 91 like it does here in the summer?
    Exactly. When I see complaints about water temp being 85, I just roll my eyes. Come to the metro Phoenix area in August, and you'll definitely see warmer. There have been times when the water has been 90F for workout. We swim outside, and they do use aerators overnight. But when the air temp gets up to 115+ during the day, and overnight lows are only 90 (if that low), well the water stays warm.
    Check out my blog here
    "You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Blog Entries

We had temps of 86 (at 5:30am) for about a month before the city would turn off the heaters. I can feel your pain. Then in one week, they not only turned off the heaters and kept the tarps off, they turned on the aerators. Pool temp by the end of the week: 79! It's glorious!
    Way to stay positive in the face of so much negativism though, you are to be commended!

Very Active Member

For some reason, our pool in Southern VT is often or normally in that temp range. Not sure why they keep it there. Maybe for older folks in exercise classes? But anyways, I think of it as kind of like the swimming equivalent of high-altitude training for runners! And it sure makes getting into the pool (my least favorite moment of the swim) easy.

Blog Entries

In the past six days, counting today, I will have swum in five different pools. All with different temperatures, all outdoor pools. With the exception of one pool, which normally runs pretty warm, all the pools were fairly cool. Two of the pools were just at that temperature where its only cool when you stop swimming. I'll take the cool pools over the warm pool when swimming outdoors during daylight hours. I'll take the warm pool during fall and winter.

Im complaining because the water is so cold. I didn't wake up in time to eat breakfast, so I went on an empty stomach. Worst mistake of my life, I probably used a crap ton of calories to just stay warm. Calories I didn't have..

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

I'll take 85 over 79 every time.

I swim at 2 pools.One is 83.5 degrees,the other has risen to 87.5 degrees.Guess which on I like better.Can I whine about the hot one now .
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    I swim at 2 pools.One is 83.5 degrees,the other has risen to 87.5 degrees.Guess which on I like better.Can I whine about the hot one now .
    Do you happen to go to the Canby Swim Center?? I used to work there, along with being a coach for the age group team there back in the early 2000s.
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

Inland NW Top Ten & Records Chair, and Web-Dude
    www.inlandnwmasters.org

Blog Entries

Warm water I do not mind at all (80 - 85F). Hot and cold water (> 85 and < 80F, resp) I swim slower in because it takes more energy to regulate my temperature.

At meets it's not really the water temps that effect me, but the quality and temperature of air.

Blog Entries

I hate hot water and without an explanation as to why the water is hot and why it can't be fixed quickly, I'd be a whiner. However, when I have a perfectly reasonable explanation I generally manage to get over it and deal.
    "Librarians are hiding something." - Stephen Colbert

Blog Entries

Let me get this straight... Some of you have access to outdoor pools? And LCM pools? And some pools that are BOTH outdoor AND LCM?
    Where can I about that?
    ..<))><

Blog Entries

I've come to the conclusion that it's better to train in a warmer pool. My reasoning is you will get used to the warm water (within reason--I would guess anything in the upper 80s is tough to adapt to). Meets will feel great when the water is cool and tolerable when the water is on the warm side. OTOH, if you are used to always swimming in cool water you will struggle mightily if you have to swim in warm water.

Very Active Member

I swam outdoors in College (South Florida) year round. Despite aerators the water was easily in the high 80s/low 90s daily over the summer. You get used to it eventually. Most disgusting thing I have experience was when we swam a set and I could feel the sweat running down my face during rest in between sets. Never experienced that before or since then.

Think of it like running in the heat or working out in a sweatsuit!. It will change----yes??

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1 View Post
    Do you happen to go to the Canby Swim Center?? I used to work there, along with being a coach for the age group team there back in the early 2000s.
    They have a nice pool,but the lap swim hours don't work for me.The 83 degree pool is the Lake Oswego pool near my office.The 87 degree pool is at a golf club near my home.It is 20M,which is weird,but they have a good weight room so I like to go there when I swim and lift.It is also much more convenient on weekends.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast