Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hot Water --Whining about the Whiners

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Hot Water --Whining about the Whiners

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    Even though water is a poor thermal conductor, it still conducts more than air (over 4x), even humid air. The heat transfer across the gradient (cooling) happens a lot more in the pool
    Except during running, even in humid air, you get significant heat loss due to evaporation. Not so much in swimming.
    Last edited by Chris Stevenson; June 16th, 2013 at 07:30 AM.

Blog Entries

And breathing too, even with a snorkel.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    I don't know why but I swim faster, have better UW efficiency, and am less prone to injury when the water isn't cool, and what's cold to me seems to be warm for others so it appears I'm the oddball. I'm usually shivering at meets and seek refuge by swimming in the the warmup pool if it's warmer.
    I've noticed the same thing. It may have to do with flexibility. A few days ago I did my workout in a pool than was significantly warmer than the one where I usually train and I was astounded at my flexibility.

Mon. I start swimming outside for the summer in a 50 M pool.
    Must remember to wear dark goggles for backstroke with the am sun in my eyes.

Participating Member
    Blog Entries

Here's a suggestion!! Ask the lifeguard to turn on the hose, and but it in your lane!

That's what we did when in was too warm in the YMCA pool.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Well, here I go again! The noodlers at our pool complained (loudly!) when our indoor pool temperature was turned down from 84 to 82 for the summer months. So, they petitioned and won a compromise of getting it turned up to 83.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

The school district likes to play games. To "show" us, they turned the heat completely off and the water temp has been holding steady at 74 degrees. It's a bit chilly, but I love it! I do feel bad for the one guy who never said a word about the heat...he wore a wetsuit to practice today. He was purple on Monday. Tomorrow is the last day at the school until September. I think I deal with the green water at the gym. They keep it at 82, and I don't have to worry about the rain.

I hear ya! The new Masters group I joined 2 weeks ago keeps the temps fro 77-79 depending on the time of day it's been such a joy. Back to swimming hard and not feeling ill afterwards woot woot! Tip of the hat to my hardcore friends who are enduring late afternoon water temps over 90 degrees at our city LC pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpetyk View Post
    The school district likes to play games. To "show" us, they turned the heat completely off and the water temp has been holding steady at 74 degrees. It's a bit chilly, but I love it! I do feel bad for the one guy who never said a word about the heat...he wore a wetsuit to practice today. He was purple on Monday. Tomorrow is the last day at the school until September. I think I deal with the green water at the gym. They keep it at 82, and I don't have to worry about the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that it's better to train in a warmer pool. My reasoning is you will get used to the warm water (within reason--I would guess anything in the upper 80s is tough to adapt to). Meets will feel great when the water is cool and tolerable when the water is on the warm side. OTOH, if you are used to always swimming in cool water you will struggle mightily if you have to swim in warm water.
    One of the problems with high altitude training is that you can't work at the same intensity (speed) you can do at sea level. If your more of a mid to distance athlete I believe the same applies to pool temperatures, the warmer it is, the lower intensity of the training session. If you practice the training philosophy of swimming fast to race fast, warm water does tend to be a deterrent.
    Last edited by Ken Classen; July 1st, 2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123