Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot Water --Whining about the Whiners

Participating Member

Re: Hot Water --Whining about the Whiners

When you guys swim in pools that are "too hot" what exactly is it that makes it the most miserable? For me, my shoulders get really sluggish and I just can't seem to keep a high stroke tempo the way I can when I'm freezing.

Blog Entries

Too hot not only makes me feel sluggish, but I truly get nauseous and frequently get a headache even if its not hot enough for the nausea. And I agree w/knelson, if you train in warm water, the meet pool then usually just feels glorious!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    Too hot not only makes me feel sluggish, but I truly get nauseous and frequently get a headache even if its not hot enough for the nausea. And I agree w/knelson, if you train in warm water, the meet pool then usually just feels glorious!
    +1. Same here on all accounts. The key for me is to keep hydrated (before and during swim) and take more rest than usual. We also will cut distance set intensity and focus more on technique stuff.
    ..<))><

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

I've never encountered water that as too warm for me to do a normal distance workout, even summers in Florida. Anything uner 80 is uncomfortable to me and makes my shoulders hurt worse than in warmer water.

Quote Originally Posted by Fresnoid View Post
    I'll take 85 over 79 every time.
    I've never encountered water that as too warm for me to do a normal distance workout, even summers in Florida. Anything under 80 is uncomfortable to me and makes my shoulders hurt worse than in warmer water.
    I am a distance swimmer myself and I would like to report for the record that neither of these posts makes the slightest sense whatsoever.

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar

I'm accustomed to swimming outdoors throughout the year in a pool that typically ranges from 77-80, with occasional dips down to 75 and a rare spike up to 85. 85 is awful, and I don't swim distance. Just under 80 is great workout water for me.
    I love the smell of neoprene in the morning!

-Dave Stark

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

I've never encountered water that as too warm for me to do a normal distance workout, even summers in Florida. Anything uner 80 is uncomfortable to me and makes my shoulders hurt worse than in warmer water.
    Are you a runner by chance? Maybe runners might be more efficient at cooling core temps, and tend to lack thermal retentive abilities.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    Are you a runner by chance? Maybe runners might be more efficient at cooling core temps, and tend to lack thermal retentive abilities.
    That is absolutely fascinating. I am a swimmer, but I've only done swimming as an adult in 2008-9, then started again late 2011. However, I've been running without any significant time off since 1992. I do a 10+ miler most weekends. From June-Oct the air temp over 80. My body has definitely adjusted to deal with warm weather running. Perhaps lack of thermal retention goes along with it.

Cooler water helps keep the bronchial spasms at bay (exercise induced asthma), and allows me to work harder longer. Hot water feels like I'm swimming through pudding, and drains all my energy. By 2 pm I'm ready for a nap, and despite my repeated suggestions that we have "siesta," my boss just chuckles and walks away. Air quality plays a big role too. 85 degree water on a 60 degree morning in an outdoor pool is just as comfortable as 80 degree water in an indoor pool that's poorly ventilated.

It's amazing! Tuesday the water was pushing 87 degrees. A note from our coach to the school superintendent, stating that the KIDS were showing signs of heat exhaustion despite longer intervals and less time actually in the water, that she was going to have to file an insurance claim....today we had 82 degree water. It was glorious. The rubber duckies stayed in the equipment bag today.

Quote Originally Posted by hartley View Post
    When you guys swim in pools that are "too hot" what exactly is it that makes it the most miserable? For me, my shoulders get really sluggish and I just can't seem to keep a high stroke tempo the way I can when I'm freezing.
    The ability to exert goes down quickly when it's too hot for me. Our LC pool is already 86* in the late afternoon as of last Wednesday. If I attempt to swim hard in that water I will invariably end up with the heaves due to dehydration. I can kinda sorta do very short stuff like broken 50's in the hot water, but to drop a pile of descending 200's in anything over 83 I'm on an egg timer for a 5 hour headache and laying on the couch.

The day I stop swimming at maximal efforts though is the day I will embrace hot water. If I'm just flopping around or doing technique I can keep up with hydration and tolerate the hot stuff.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Swimming in 86 water is much easier than running in 86 air

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    Swimming in 86 water is much easier than running in 86 air
    You know that is a really interesting observation. I come from a 26 year triathlon career and I found it to be the opposite for my bod. As long as I kept fluids coming in whenever I wanted them I performed best in heat. My PR for the HIM distance was in mid 90's weather at Gulf Coast in 1990. On any swims over Olympic distance I was always pounding fluids early in the bike. Hot water doomed me on race day b/c one can't pull over for water whenever one wants/needs it during the swim. My first IM I started the bike in a huge deficit and I never caught up hydration wise. At T2 I sat in the tent for 30 minutes drinking up b/f the run. I actually put a thread up here a few months ago asking if others experienced dehydration in hot water more than other activities. Dunno maybe I have a physical aberration that makes me prone to dehydration in water who knows.

The pool factor equally doomed me during my triathlon training days b/c it was 90% threshold training, 5ish seconds of rest. That's barely enough time to stop breathing hard enough to ingest even a swig of water, for me anyway. By the time I'd hit 2K I was a sponge!

Quote Originally Posted by vo2 View Post
    You know that is a really interesting observation. I come from a 26 year triathlon career and I found it to be the opposite for my bod. As long as I kept fluids coming in whenever I wanted them I performed best in heat. My PR for the HIM distance was in mid 90's weather at Gulf Coast in 1990. On any swims over Olympic distance I was always pounding fluids early in the bike. Hot water doomed me on race day b/c one can't pull over for water whenever one wants/needs it during the swim. My first IM I started the bike in a huge deficit and I never caught up hydration wise. At T2 I sat in the tent for 30 minutes drinking up b/f the run. I actually put a thread up here a few months ago asking if others experienced dehydration in hot water more than other activities. Dunno maybe I have a physical aberration that makes me prone to dehydration in water who knows.

The pool factor equally doomed me during my triathlon training days b/c it was 90% threshold training, 5ish seconds of rest. That's barely enough time to stop breathing hard enough to ingest even a swig of water, for me anyway. By the time I'd hit 2K I was a sponge!
    If humidity is low, at any temperature sweating will help cool you when running. When humidity and temperature is high, running is awful. When pool/water temperatures get closer to body temperature, your body can't cool itself and it is easier to overheat.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Even though water is a poor thermal conductor, it still conducts more than air (over 4x), even humid air. The heat tranfer across the gradient (cooling) happens alot more in the pool

Very Active Member moodyrichardson's Avatar

Not to hijack the thread. Moderators, feel free to move this post if necessary.

Speaking of the warm environment. I'm currently a Senior majoring in Recreation Administration with a concentration in Aquatics. In one of my classes, we are studying Lifeguard Lung. I've been around water and been a lifeguard too, but this is the first time I've heard of this. Does anybody have any experience with this or more info?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1216180159.htm

Quote Originally Posted by arthur View Post
    If humidity is low, at any temperature sweating will help cool you when running. When humidity and temperature is high, running is awful. When pool/water temperatures get closer to body temperature, your body can't cool itself and it is easier to overheat.
    Today was my final straw as our city LC pool was 85 degrees at 645 this morning. It was just shy of 90 at 5pm last night. I'm joining a new Masters program across town that keeps it's pool in sane ranges typically high 70's to a smidge over 80 at worst. You warm water animals are tougher than I am.....I officially quit the microwave sessions!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moodyrichardson View Post
    Not to hijack the thread. Moderators, feel free to move this post if necessary.

Speaking of the warm environment. I'm currently a Senior majoring in Recreation Administration with a concentration in Aquatics. In one of my classes, we are studying Lifeguard Lung. I've been around water and been a lifeguard too, but this is the first time I've heard of this. Does anybody have any experience with this or more info?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1216180159.htm
    I hadn't heard of it. I did a quick database search of my library's holdings and it looks like the authors of that study are the only ones to have used that term among the stuff in our holdings. (We have a med school so I think our collection is a reasonable sample.) I looked at citations for papers that cited their paper and saw a reference to hot tub lung as well. More generally I found things about respiratory symptoms, infectious diseases, etc. I also learned that hot tub is bubbelpool in Swedish.
    "Librarians are hiding something." - Stephen Colbert

Anything over 80 is too hot for me. If i want a hot pool, i will go to a hotel pool. Warm pools stuff up sinuses, zap energy etc. headaches.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

I don't know why but I swim faster, have better UW efficiency, and am less prone to injury when the water isn't cool, and what's cold to me seems to be warm for others so it appears I'm the oddball. I'm usually shivering at meets and seek refuge by swimming in the the warmup pool if it's warmer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast