Thread: Swimming with bronchitis?

Very Active Member

Swimming with bronchitis?

I haven't worked out at all in 9 days, which is killing me, since I suffer from exercise addiction -- I average 1.5 hours of cardio - running, swimming, bike, eliptical everyday since the late 70's (except when recovering from minor surgery, or illness). I have a sinus infection and bronchitis. I'm still feeling out of it, and tired, so once I feel better, I will start out with walking, then work up to swimming. Friend of mine said I shouldn't do anything until I have NO cough, which could take weeks. Anyone out there have bronchitis, and if so, how long were you unable to swim? Did you swim with a cough? I am 60, but have the mind of a 30 year old, and almost the body of a 45 year old (pretty toned). It's the health that's slipping - had the flu in mid - March for 2 weeks. Am feeling really disgusted and sluggish right now.

Very Active Member

Re: Swimming with bronchitis?

I am 41 with exercise induced asthma. I took a week off in February with a pretty bad case of bronchitis. I took it easy in the pool for about 2 weeks a had major coughing attacks during the workouts. They became less severe and less frequent as time went on, but I was also on a large dose of prednisone, an antibiotic and an inhaler. It took about 2 months before I could practice hard again without needing the inhaler. Your best bet is to talk to your doctor and listen to your body. I hope you feel better soon!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jpetyk View Post
    I am 41 with exercise induced asthma. I took a week off in February with a pretty bad case of bronchitis. I took it easy in the pool for about 2 weeks a had major coughing attacks during the workouts. They became less severe and less frequent as time went on, but I was also on a large dose of prednisone, an antibiotic and an inhaler. It took about 2 months before I could practice hard again without needing the inhaler. Your best bet is to talk to your doctor and listen to your body. I hope you feel better soon!
    You did well to to move forward with your exercise induced asthma issue. I saw this article today at sciencedaily.com, which might hold promise for others with similar conditions, "Unique Omega-3 Supplement Effective at Reducing Exercise-Induced Asthma Symptoms". http://goo.gl/oKnoU

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by jpetyk View Post
    Thanks. I was dx'd with possible EIA as well, but I'm not sure I believe that. I guess I should've asked my MD for an inhaler prescription today. Went back for a follow up and she said lungs are clear, so I guess, technically, I could return to the pool, however, I still am very congested, spacey and tired, so I'm listening to my old bod, and enjoying movies I never have time to watch b/c I'm always at the gym or in the pool!

Very Active Member

Interesting article. Thanks, fdtotten.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by renie View Post
    Thanks. I was dx'd with possible EIA as well, but I'm not sure I believe that. I guess I should've asked my MD for an inhaler prescription today. Went back for a follow up and she said lungs are clear, so I guess, technically, I could return to the pool, however, I still am very congested, spacey and tired, so I'm listening to my old bod, and enjoying movies I never have time to watch b/c I'm always at the gym or in the pool!
    In my previous post, I should also mentioned the 2010 study at Indiana University about reducing EIA and other asthma based inflammation issues with fish oil and ascorbic acid, "Comparative and Additive Effects of Fish Oil and Ascorbic Acid Supplementation on Exercise-Induced Bronchoconstriction and Airway Inflammation in Asthma". http://goo.gl/geBjI

University of Maryland Medical Center (www.umm.edu) provides concise, documented, and useful consumer information. In terms of acute bronchitis (http://goo.gl/61wW2), lactobacillus based probiotics are mentioned within lifestyle treatment. While probiotics are to some degree over hyped, there is significant evidence accumulating regarding increasing immune system capacity with supplementation of multiple strain probiotics, including lactobacillus. For example; http://goo.gl/lSyF6

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Bronchitis is an irritation of the bronchial membranes, causing coughing and discomfort. If you are not a smoker or asthmatic, it is caused by an infection. If the infection is bacterial, antibiotics will kill it over a few days. If it is viral, it will run it's course fairly quickly. However, in both infectious cases, the irritation and coughing take a while to subside.

You can still workout as hard as you want to after the initial infection has subsided. Yes, you will cough and hack, but if you don't have a fever, go for it.

Very Active Member

I was first diagnosed in college after my coach read an article in Swimming World about Nancy Hogshead and her symptoms. My diagnoses was mostly anecdotal since I was in top shape at the time. Now, there is no doubt when my teammates hear me wheeze.

I may have to start taking my fish-oil supplements again. Reducing EIA symptoms = extra bonus Thanks for posting that article fdtotten.

I was diagnosed with exercise induced vocal chord disorder two years ago. Finally overcame the problem with increased doses of acid reflex medication. I now swim with some left over VC disorder during sprints.

Very Active Member

jpetk and EdC, what tests determined your diagnoses?

Very Active Member

jpetk and EdC, what tests determined your diagnoses?
    After every race I would exit the pool coughing up a lung. During hard workouts, I would start coughing then, too. Afterwords, I would encounter a severe headache. I went to the sports medicine doctors assigned to my school, and the 1st group tried to reproduce an attack. However, nothing in the lab could simulate race exertion. They tried a blood gasses test and that was stopped when my heart rate hit 200. I wasn't even winded yet.

The 2nd group of doctors (next school year) listened to my story, and based on what I was describing with my symptons, I was prescribed an inhaler. This time, I was told that they weren't surprised that we couldn't reproduce symptoms in the lab since I was in such good athletic shape. I was told to use my inhaler before each race, and during practice as needed. It made a huge difference.

Blog Entries

Lactobacillus, the human's gram positive, rod-shaped friends.

Very Active Member

renie,
    not only can you practice with bronchitis you can race with it. pneumonia too!

i had pneumonia when i climbed onto the blocks at Indy at the '84 Oly trials.
    back then my 13th place only got me to watch finals. nowadays that would have put me in the semi-finals.
    and NO i didnt go a best time, but wasnt that far off, just a few tenths.

steve

Very Active Member

jpetyk, I had a similar mode of diagnostic test. I went to an allergy doc, and they put me on treadmill, but couldn't get my heart rate up high enough. I've had a few Pulmonary Function tests, which I passed as well. They figured I must have EIA, and gave me an inhaler. I don't recall that it made a difference.

Very Active Member

steve, you're an animal! I'll bet you were a few years younger than I am. Remember, I am 60, although my brain keeps telling me I'm 30. So unfair.

Very Active Member

right now my body is telling my brain it feels like 115.
    having to heal just plain sucks. whether its from bronchitis or pneumonia or bicep tenodesis.

btw, ever since that pneumonia episode i fought in '84 (from sleeping with my window open at night in MV) i seem to have become very susceptible to pneumonia. i go from a cough to bronchitis to pneumonia in about 2 days. and then its the zpack/opack/qpack or whatever pack of meds to fight it all off.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunruh View Post
    right now my body is telling my brain it feels like 115.
    Yeah, but you are still fast as hell

Very Active Member

Oh, that sucks, Steve. How quickly do you recover from cough/bronchitis/pneumonia bouts?