Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nationals in Mission Viejo

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Nationals in Mission Viejo

Quote Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
    yea I'm also thinking of doing the IGLA meet in the Seattle area (the pool is in Federal Way). I can swim 4 events there, and only 3 at a USMS nationals. plus there's an o/w event at IGLA.
    Do you happen to know off hand which day of the week the OW event is??? I get Saturdays off work for the summer, so that could be a possibility...also provided it's not a really loooooooooonnnnngggg swim. I'm not really keen on the big OW swims.
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

Inland NW Top Ten & Records Chair, and Web-Dude
    www.inlandnwmasters.org

Quote Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
    yea I'm also thinking of doing the IGLA meet in the Seattle area (the pool is in Federal Way). I can swim 4 events there, and only 3 at a USMS nationals. plus there's an o/w event at IGLA.
    The USMS 2.4 Mile Open Water National Championship will be held prior to Mission Viejo:
    https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...2091&smid=4552

This may not be practical for those who have limited time off (you'd have to take the whole week off to attend both) but nevertheless it is nice to have a pool National Championship plus an open water National Championship in close geographic proximity to one another.

Jeff

The open water swim at IGLA is on Sunday August 18- a 1 or 2 mile swim. http://www.igla2013.com/open-water-swim/

Participating Member

I am going ... and looking forward to it. I spent a summer swimming in Santa Barbara during my college days and I've got fond memories. The fog burning off in the morning to a cloudless sky was always nice. My last SoCal meet was at Industry Hills, so I figure Mission Viejo is going to be nicer. Of course, I was a whole lot faster back then. I'll take the outdoor pool ... that's what makes summer swimming!

Add to the above a trip to Disneyland for my 3 1/2 year old daughter ... seeing the Princesses in person in August has been her goal for the past 6 months. Now if, like the others with injuries, my shoulder will cooperate, it will be a success for all.

Participating Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Masters Swimming. I'm planning on attending this meet (with NQTs or not) since I will be in the area for some family things going on, but I need some insight with regards to scheduling my flight.

I would like to swim the 100 Free and the 50 Back at Nationals and both are on Sunday. However, my family wants to try scheduling the flight back to Chicago for Sunday at 10pm leaving from LA. At past Summer Nationals meets, about how late has the meet run each day? Swimming those two events on Sunday, would I be likely to still make it to my flight at 10pm after considering the drive to LA and the whole process for checking in for your flight?

Lastly, are awards given after each event or at the end of each day? I'm not sure how that works. The two events I'm looking at for Sunday are technically back to back. Although those are sprints and I don't believe I have a good chance at getting an award, I'd like an idea of how much time I'd potentially have between each race.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Blog Entries

Conflicts with our family beach trip to RI or I would go. I love LC swimming. No turns!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfish825 View Post
    Lastly, are awards given after each event or at the end of each day?
    I can answer this part, at least. The awards are given out as soon as the labels can be printed after each event. Usually it's pretty quick after each event is complete. Typically the process is that all the labels are printed and then posted on a wall. You find your label (assuming you placed top ten), pull it off and hand it to the person at the awards desk.

Blog Entries

Lastly, are awards given after each event or at the end of each day? I'm not sure how that works. The two events I'm looking at for Sunday are technically back to back. Although those are sprints and I don't believe I have a good chance at getting an award, I'd like an idea of how much time I'd potentially have between each race.
    Though there's no break between events, there's usually at least an hour or so between consecutive events, though my experience is from short course nationals.

I just looked at the estimated timeline from last year's long course nationals and see that most events had at least an hour between starts.

Blog Entries

I would like to swim the 100 Free and the 50 Back at Nationals and both are on Sunday. However, my family wants to try scheduling the flight back to Chicago for Sunday at 10pm leaving from LA. At past Summer Nationals meets, about how late has the meet run each day? Swimming those two events on Sunday, would I be likely to still make it to my flight at 10pm after considering the drive to LA and the whole process for checking in for your flight?
    My recommendation is to enter the events. The National committee does a great job of publishing the estimated timeline ahead of the meet, so you'll have a good idea (after you've entered) what events you'll actually be able to swim relative to the flights. Given that the 400 free is last, I can't see any reason you wouldn't be able to make the 10pm flight. Unless you're a hard-core-whiny-gotta-have-3-hours-between-events-sprinter, there will be GOBS of time between those two events. You'll need to re-apply sunblock at least once.

My other recommendation: is there any option for you to fly out of John Wayne (SNA) airport? It is a much more sane airport and a short drive with relatively little risk of traffic from Mission Viejo. Plus, LAX -- unless you're flying internationally -- is about the worst airport in the country. I avoid it at all costs.
    Follow my blog http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=5013
    Twitter @BrundageSwims

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    My other recommendation: is there any option for you to fly out of John Wayne (SNA) airport? It is a much more sane airport and a short drive with relatively little risk of traffic from Mission Viejo. Plus, LAX -- unless you're flying internationally -- is about the worst airport in the country. I avoid it at all costs.
    Definitely. SNA as the first option, LGB (Long Beach) as the second.

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    My recommendation is to enter the events. The National committee does a great job of publishing the estimated timeline ahead of the meet, so you'll have a good idea (after you've entered) what events you'll actually be able to swim relative to the flights. Given that the 400 free is last, I can't see any reason you wouldn't be able to make the 10pm flight. Unless you're a hard-core-whiny-gotta-have-3-hours-between-events-sprinter, there will be GOBS of time between those two events. You'll need to re-apply sunblock at least once.

I'm definitely not nit-picky, so I'll be good there

As for the flight, we are considering the 10pm flight out of LAX since we save some money flying out from there than if we went left from SNA. However, we are still researching some other flights since we have few other kinks to work out in the whole family trip. It's mildly complicated since this isn't just a swim meet trip, but of course in the end we'll go with what works best.

I appreciate all the help!

Blog Entries

I'm definitely not nit-picky, so I'll be good there

As for the flight, we are considering the 10pm flight out of LAX since we save some money flying out from there than if we went left from SNA. However, we are still researching some other flights since we have few other kinks to work out in the whole family trip. It's mildly complicated since this isn't just a swim meet trip, but of course in the end we'll go with what works best.

I appreciate all the help!
    Since you will be in Mission Viejo you may want to consider flying out of San Diego. Check out your options from that airport.

I saw my orthopedist today.We decided that my shoulder would not be ready for speed work any time soon,so no Nats this year.Hopefully I'll be OK by the end of SCM this year.Next year I age up, so I don't want to not screw things up.I hope everyone there has a great time and great times.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Very Active Member

sorry to hear that allen.
    i too am out with a shoulder injury/surgery/rehab. i dont even see my doc again until july 25.
    i look at the pool as my son plays in it. i'm just a pretty topping for the deck chair.
    scm is a big if/maybe
    '13 looks like a flush

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    I saw my orthopedist today.We decided that my shoulder would not be ready for speed work any time soon,so no Nats this year.Hopefully I'll be OK by the end of SCM this year.Next year I age up, so I don't want to not screw things up.I hope everyone there has a great time and great times.

I'm sorry to hear that, King Frog! Bruce and I will miss you and Seal Girl! Best wishes on a speedy recovery!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    You didn't say anything about Mrs. Frog being injured

She can swim in the meet while you cheer her on!

(I am sorry to hear about the shoulder. I hope you are ready for the SCM season.)

Quote Originally Posted by jroddin View Post
    You didn't say anything about Mrs. Frog being injured

She can swim in the meet while you cheer her on!

(I am sorry to hear about the shoulder. I hope you are ready for the SCM season.)
    That is what my son said.She said she didn't want to go to the meet if I couldn't swim.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
    I went to Atlanta Nationals, which might end up being a larger meet but one where women and men are swimming at the same time and I did back-to-back-to-back events. You can do it!

Allen, good luck with the shoulder.

Is there any way to change my seed times on my registration? When I registered, I entered with long course times from 2012 long course meets and training, because I thought they would be accurate predictions for Nationals. But, physical problems have really taken a toll on my strength and swim times, this year; especially over the past couple of months.

Today, I had the rare opportunity to train long course and I was shocked at my practice race times! My perceived effort vs. my actual times were quite discouraging. I would really like to change my seed times on the 400 IM, 200 fly, and 1500, if possible, so I don't hold up the meet!

Meanwhile, I will train as hard as my body allows to (hopefully!) drop my times!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Is there any way to change my seed times on my registration? When I registered, I entered with long course times from 2012 long course meets and training, because I thought they would be accurate predictions for Nationals. But, physical problems have really taken a toll on my strength and swim times, this year; especially over the past couple of months.

Today, I had the rare opportunity to train long course and I was shocked at my practice race times! My perceived effort vs. my actual times were quite discouraging. I would really like to change my seed times on the 400 IM, 200 fly, and 1500, if possible, so I don't hold up the meet!

Meanwhile, I will train as hard as my body allows to (hopefully!) drop my times!
    Elaine,

Send an email to championship@usms.org with your request.

Jeff

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast