Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Thread: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

  1. #21
    Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,983
    Blog Entries
    1217

    Re: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

    Quote Originally Posted by Britt03 View Post
    if the meet is outdoors - sign me up! so much more fun swimming outdoors than indoors!
    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    That's because you aren't a backstroker like Wookiee!
    I also like outdoor meets even though I am a backstroker. Heck, if you know how to swim straight then it give you an advantage over those other wusses.

    For me one of the main joys of being a backstroker is when you get to swim outdoors, it is the only stroke that allows you to really appreciate being outside.

  2. #22
    Very Active Member ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,390

    Re: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson View Post
    I also like outdoor meets even though I am a backstroker. Heck, if you know how to swim straight then it give you an advantage over those other wusses.

    For me one of the main joys of being a backstroker is when you get to swim outdoors, it is the only stroke that allows you to really appreciate being outside.
    The only way I can swim backstroke outside is watching and concentrating on my arms, rather than focusing on anything beyond them (or closing my eyes). I have Meniere's, an inner ear disorder. So, if there are no clouds or anything to focus on, I get dizzy and start feeling seasick. (Meniere's is also the reason I can no longer do flip turns without getting seasick!).
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  3. #23
    Very Active Member orca1946's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    schaumburg, il
    Posts
    5,755

    Re: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

    OK this is WAY TOOO early, where is 2016 ?? Do they have that listed yet?

  4. #24
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    116

    Re: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson View Post
    I also like outdoor meets even though I am a backstroker. Heck, if you know how to swim straight then it give you an advantage over those other wusses.

    For me one of the main joys of being a backstroker is when you get to swim outdoors, it is the only stroke that allows you to really appreciate being outside.
    swimming outdoors as a backstroker = perfect stomach tan time.
    My first outdoor practice this season, I swam 4,500 yards backstroke. yep, all backstroke. I wanted to get my stomach a good base tan. Who cares about practice if you can focus on getting tan??

  5. #25
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    70

    Re: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

    Any word on the 5-day schedule? There's a few longer events I'd like to try depending how close they are to backstroke events, and training starts soon.

  6. #26
    Very Active Member jroddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    1,073

    Re: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickJM View Post
    Any word on the 5-day schedule? There's a few longer events I'd like to try depending how close they are to backstroke events, and training starts soon.
    The Rules Committee needs to ratify the Order of Events for Maryland (special 5-day format). We expect an answer sometime next week. I will post here once it is official.

    Jeff Roddin
    USMS Championship Committee

  7. #27
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    8

    Re: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

    As to the 2015 San Antonio Spring Nationals, we plan on a 4 day format. We still need the Championship Committee's approval of our Order of Events, but it will closely follow what was set forth in the Rule Book. There will be a slight change because, we will use 3 pools at the same time, we are able to offer the 1000 and 1650 on separate days. More details will be presented next year.

  8. #28
    Very Active Member orca1946's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    schaumburg, il
    Posts
    5,755

    Re: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

    # pools? I have never seen that. It must run the meet really fast.
    What do you do with odd heat numbers, start them 1st. so that you can end up with 3 pools in the last running?

  9. #29
    Very Active Member jroddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    1,073

    Re: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

    The order of events for 2014 Marriott USMS Summer Nationals in College Park, Maryland is listed below. NQTs will be available close to the New Year.

    Day 1 Wednesday:
    Mixed 1500 freestyle

    Day 2 Thursday:
    200 butterfly
    50 breaststroke
    100 freestyle
    Mixed 800 freestyle

    Day 3 Friday:
    400 IM
    30 minute break
    50 backstroke
    200 freestyle
    100 breaststroke
    200 freestyle relays

    Day 4 Saturday
    100 butterfly
    50 freestyle
    200 backstroke
    200 mixed free relay
    200 mixed medley relay
    400 freestyle (both)

    Day 5 Sunday
    200 medley relays
    100 backstroke
    200 IM
    50 butterfly
    200 breaststroke
    Jeff Roddin
    USMS Championship Committee

  10. #30
    Very Active Member orca1946's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    schaumburg, il
    Posts
    5,755

    Re: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

    I like this order for my events - if I get the Q times???

  11. #31
    Very Active Member jroddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    1,073

    Re: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

    Quote Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
    # pools? I have never seen that. It must run the meet really fast.
    What do you do with odd heat numbers, start them 1st. so that you can end up with 3 pools in the last running?
    They wouldn't be running 3 courses of the same event at the same time. They would likely have two courses of the same event in one 50m pool while having one course of a different event in another pool. For instance, two courses of the men's 500 free outside with one course of the women's 400 IM inside. I hope that clarify things.
    Last edited by jroddin; November 2nd, 2013 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Was just checking to make sure Wookie was reading.

  12. #32
    Very Active Member thewookiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,756
    Blog Entries
    42

    Re: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

    Quote Originally Posted by jroddin View Post
    women's 400 IM free inside. I hope that clarify things.
    Not really. Is the women's 400 IM free a new event? Does this mean that women don't have to pay for swimming the 400 IM inside? Please clarify this for the men.

  13. #33
    Very Active Member mmlr38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ashland, Oregon
    Posts
    111

    Re: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

    Thanks for posting the order of events Jeff!

    Since the 1500 and 800 are on separate days, does that mean swimmers can do both events like in Mission Viejo? It's really unfortunate for us distance swimmers to have to sacrifice one of our events at nationals when there are really only 3 events (400, 800 and 1500) in which we're competitive!

  14. #34
    Very Active Member jroddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    1,073

    Re: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

    Quote Originally Posted by mmlr38 View Post
    Thanks for posting the order of events Jeff!

    Since the 1500 and 800 are on separate days, does that mean swimmers can do both events like in Mission Viejo? It's really unfortunate for us distance swimmers to have to sacrifice one of our events at nationals when there are really only 3 events (400, 800 and 1500) in which we're competitive!
    That option will be highly unlikely only having a single 8 lane competition course and a meet expected to be even larger than Mission Viejo. In Mission Viejo the finish time on Wednesday (1500 day) was 10:10pm and the finish time on Friday (800 day) was 7:22pm. Those session lengths are very difficult to staff while also not really being good conditions for competition for the swimmers.

    Jeff

  15. #35
    Very Active Member orca1946's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    schaumburg, il
    Posts
    5,755

    Re: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

    Thanx Jay. That makes good sense using different events. I did not even think of that. Now I need to get healthy to try for Q times.!

  16. #36
    Very Active Member mmlr38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ashland, Oregon
    Posts
    111

    Re: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

    Quote Originally Posted by jroddin View Post
    That option will be highly unlikely only having a single 8 lane competition course and a meet expected to be even larger than Mission Viejo. In Mission Viejo the finish time on Wednesday (1500 day) was 10:10pm and the finish time on Friday (800 day) was 7:22pm. Those session lengths are very difficult to staff while also not really being good conditions for competition for the swimmers.

    Jeff
    Thanks for the reply Jeff. I completely understand about the staffing. And also the conditions for competition; yes, swimming at 10pm really wasn't ideal, but it's better than not swimming at all! Really the 1500 and 800 are the only events in which I'm somewhat competitive. The 400 is marginal and the 200 is tough. Eliminating one of those as an option really stinks. Perhaps some sort of contingency could be made like in Mission Viejo, only more strict, for the distance events? Such as having NQTs for both events? Or perhaps staffing late for those events should be considered when awarding nationals to bidders? Having the ability to swim both events at nationals really makes all the difference for someone like me.

  17. #37
    Very Active Member jroddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    1,073

    Re: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

    Quote Originally Posted by mmlr38 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Jeff. I completely understand about the staffing. And also the conditions for competition; yes, swimming at 10pm really wasn't ideal, but it's better than not swimming at all! Really the 1500 and 800 are the only events in which I'm somewhat competitive. The 400 is marginal and the 200 is tough. Eliminating one of those as an option really stinks. Perhaps some sort of contingency could be made like in Mission Viejo, only more strict, for the distance events? Such as having NQTs for both events? Or perhaps staffing late for those events should be considered when awarding nationals to bidders? Having the ability to swim both events at nationals really makes all the difference for someone like me.
    It was discussed to limit participation in the 800 and 1500 to only those who make NQTs in both in order to allow swimmers to enter both, however, that is not permitted in the USMS rulebook so the idea was dismissed.

    It is very difficult finding bidders, let alone finding bidders with 10 lane pools, multiple competition courses, excess staffing resources, etc. For this particular Nationals we are fortunate the host is able to accommodate a 5-day format.

    Masters Nationals is unique in its ability to accommodate all swimmers (anybody may swim up to 3 events plus 4 relays without meeting qual times). It is unfortunate for some Nationals that swimmers may not swim both distance events, but on the other hand if the meet were more exclusive there would be many others who wouldn't get to swim any events at all. Reasonable people may disagree on the all-inclusive policy but that is the present system.

    Jeff

  18. #38
    Very Active Member mmlr38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ashland, Oregon
    Posts
    111

    Re: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

    I very much like the fact that USMS is so inclusive, so I'd really not like to see that change. But on the other hand, as I have seen mentioned somewhere, nationals is a once-a-year event in which people have a chance to swim against strong competition. Perhaps still allowing 3 events and 4 relays without NQTs but require NQTs for both the 800 and 1500 should be considered if it allows for distance specialists to enter both events? I am guessing it is challenging to make changes to the USMS rulebook? People without NQTs can probably find events other than nationals at which to compete in those two distance events. I really don't want to make the meet too exclusive, but as a distance swimmer, it really does stink to have one of three events (1500, 800 and 400 are the only "distance" events) eliminated.

    I didn't realize that finding bidders to accommodate nationals was such a challenge. That certainly would rule out imposing additional requirements on bidders.

  19. #39
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    101

    Re: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

    Quote Originally Posted by mmlr38 View Post
    People without NQTs can probably find events other than nationals at which to compete in those two distance events. .
    Some parts of the country are very active and have many Masters meets. Others, are not. If I am going to have to travel, pay for hotels, etc., I would much rather do so at a National meet, than some other meet that would have me swimming 6 events in 3 hours. I agree that it stinks that distance swimmers have to choose between one event or the other, but for some of us, the Nationals events are the only option to compete.

  20. #40
    Very Active Member mmlr38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ashland, Oregon
    Posts
    111

    Re: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

    Quote Originally Posted by jpetyk View Post
    I would much rather do so at a National meet, than some other meet that would have me swimming 6 events in 3 hours.
    That's a very good point jpetyk. But it seems that in most cases, there is only one (maybe two) distance event offered at any local Masters meet. And if someone really wants to get a good time in their distance event, they won't be swimming 5 other events. Seems to me that saving those 5 other events for nationals and swimming the distance event at the local meet would make the most sense.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2014 & 2015 Nationals
    By jroddin in forum Nationals
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: February 6th, 2013, 06:31 PM
  2. Dates for 2008 SC Nationals Austin?
    By RobertBrown in forum Nationals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 9th, 2007, 07:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •