Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

Re: Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

I don't have a solution,but I don't think both the 1500 and 800 should be NQT only events.If one prefers distance free events,but is not able to make NQTs ,should that person have none of there favorite events to swim?
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Blog Entries

The way I look at it is, if you swim the 1500, you've automatically got an 800 swim thrown in for good measure!

Really I've never thought it was a huge deal when swimmers need to pick one or the other of the distance events (but I can understand why some would). The scheduling of all the events means lots of people have to sacrifice one event in favor of another due to being back-to-back, etc. I guess the difference is they still have the option to swim both. They just might choose not to due to scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    I don't have a solution,but I don't think both the 1500 and 800 should be NQT only events.If one prefers distance free events,but is not able to make NQTs ,should that person have none of there favorite events to swim?
    That's a very good point Allen. I hadn't really thought about it from the perspective of someone who likes swimming distance events, but is not able to make NQTs.
    Last edited by mmlr38; November 8th, 2013 at 02:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmlr38 View Post
    That's a very good point Allen. I hadn't really thought about it from the perspective of someone who likes swimming distance events, but is not able to make NQTs.
    I think a decent compromise would be to say you've got to make both NQTs in order to swim both events. You could still swim one or the other without making the cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    I think a decent compromise would be to say you've got to make both NQTs in order to swim both events. You could still swim one or the other without making the cuts.
    I think that was how things were handled at Mission Viejo and I personally think it worked out well, though I didn't realize how hard it was to staff those late sessions. And Jeff mentioned it is unlikely that this will be an option this year because of only one competition pool and the extremely high number of swimmers expected. At Misison Viejo, yes the meet went a little late on Wednesday (1500 day) and Friday (800 day), but part of the reason for the very late day on Friday was the extremely unfortunate event that added about an hour to the timeline. Swimming at 7pm or 8pm isn't ideal, but assuming getting staff was possible, I'd prefer to have the option of swimming both the 1500 and 800 over not swimming one of them at all.

I don't think you should be able to swim both if no NQT times are made.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123