Thread: Rubbing raw

Rubbing raw

I have noticed over the last 7-10 workouts that the front part of my underarm is being rubbed raw. Anything I can do to prevent this or put on it to minimize the rubbing?

Blog Entries

Re: Rubbing raw

In any running or sports store you should be able to find SportSlick or other anti chaffing solid. It looks like a deodorant canister. Vaseline works too, but it's more goopy to clean up afterwards. Also, once it's chaffed, Boudreaux's Butt Paste (a diaper rash salve) works great to help it heal and protect it.

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, change your stroke to minimize the rubbing. I had to put skin cream on my underarms for about 30 years until I fixed my stroke. It is most likely the result of crossover and/or not enough trunk rotation.

Try drills that emphasize straight arm entry, straight pull through and whole body rotation.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

Blog Entries

If you are female, you might have luck trying a suit with a different strap style.
    "Librarians are hiding something." - Stephen Colbert

ARe you male or female? Do you know what your underarm is rubbing on - your skin or your suit?
    The anti-chaffing suggestion flystorms suggested is a good idea - I use "Body Glide" around my neck when wearing a wetsuit. If you are female and the threads of your suit are causing the chafing, try rubbing the body glide on the seams as well as your underarm.
    Aloe - or an "after sun" aloe product - may help ease the pain after your swim. There's a double problem as it is chaffed and dried out from pool chlorine - so moisturizing will help. Good luck.

That diaper rash stuff really works. BUT you need to find out why !!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel View Post
    I have noticed over the last 7-10 workouts that the front part of my underarm is being rubbed raw. Anything I can do to prevent this or put on it to minimize the rubbing?
    You have a rub spot. I have a rubspot on my right shoulder that I get from swimming freestyle when I have a stubbly unshaved face. So I usually shave that spot before practice.
    You could:
    1) Figure out what is rubbing the "front part of your underarm" (you might have 2 rub spots)
    2) apply sport slick, vaseline around your rub spot, or very sticky water proof tape over the area
    3) you could change your technique to not rub

You use Body Glide or something similar. Vaseline, while good for longer open water swims (and essential in salt water), is a bit messy to get off. I've been doing fair amount of yardage these days so I try to remember to put on just a little BG before each swim.
    "If you didn't swallow water in your last open water race, you weren't racing."

www.bobswims.com/

I am a male and I am primarily doing breaststroke. The sports tick thing sounds promising. I don't want to change my stroke because with the change I made I am swimming faster times!

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel View Post
    I am a male and I am primarily doing breaststroke. The sports tick thing sounds promising. I don't want to change my stroke because with the change I made I am swimming faster times!
    Then there is really something wrong with your stroke. A small correction will get rid of the chafing and keep your new-found speed. You are probably pulling back too far and/or delaying your recovery.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.